How does the Alarm system function? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
encantotom

Default How does the Alarm system function?

Hi all,

on my 1990, when i bought it the previous owner said the alarm never worked. so, of course i want to fix it....before doing so, i would like to understand what it is supposed to do. there is a key switch on bay door next to the front door. then there is a switch by the bed. if it is working properly, what happens and under what circumstances? any education here would help a ton. i am familiar with residential alarm systems and how to install them so just an education on the simple alarm here would help me a ton. and what is the normal failure items on them. i am assumming just the door is alarmed, but really have no idea. thanks alot!

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
nostoc

Default Alarm Primer

Most Newells of that era had a simple alarm system tied to the entry door. It was armed by turning "on" both an outside (key) switch and an inside (toggle) switch. They were wired in series, so the alarm was not armed until both switches were on. If you wanted to set it while you were inside the coach, you would use the key to turn the outside switch on first, enter the coach and lock the door, and then turn on the inside switch (usually in the galley). If you were leaving the coach and wanted to set the alarm while you were away. You would flip the toggle on first and then exit the coach (remember, you can still go through the door without setting it off, because both switches are not on, yet), lock the coach from outside, and lastly use the key to turn on the outside switch.

Any time both switches are on and the door is opened, the alarm sounds.

The switch in the bedroom was normally a "panic" switch. Regardless of the positions of the other two switches, an occupant could use this switch any time to emit the alarm. Consider it a way to scare off a potential intruder in a panic situation.

I hope this helps.

nostoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
encantotom

thaniks for the response on the alarm. can you tell me where typically the siren or chirper or the thing that makes the alarm noise is located?

thanks again, sounds easy enough to fix.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
fulltiming

Tom, on mine, the electric horns, located under the coach near the front, are the alarm 'siren'. They are energized when the panic or door alarm is activated regardless of the position of the switch on the dash, air or city (which is the electric horns).
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote