Steering Improvement - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
77newell

Default Steering Improvement

I recall a couple messages related to steering being busy particularly when there are cross-winds or passing trucks. Since I overhauled my steering gear and had the rest of the steering components confirmed as good I've still had a more of this busy steering behavior than I would like, it's not bad but could be better.

Researching possibilities led me to the Wanderlodge Owners Group website and I found some threads indicating that the bushings in the Ridewell front suspension torque arms and track bar could be loose due to age and usage with the result of degraded steering performance.

I was talking yesterday to a mechanic who specializes in motorhomes. He asked what tire pressure I was using and when I told him 85 psi based upon the weight being carried by the tire his eyes got real big. He then stated that this low pressure alone would contribute significantly to a wandering coach even if the bushings were fine. His perspective is that radial tires have little sidewall stiffness and go all squishy when side loads occur.

He asked me to try the tires at max allowable pressure and see what happens. I did, pumped the tires to 105 psi and a number of things changed. The first change was the ride got a bit more jarring though less than I expected. Second, steering wheel corrections required a lighter touch. Third, the steering had a noticeable increase in tendency to return to center. Fourth, cross-winds and passing trucks required less steering corrections.

Next week I hope to have further tweaking done and will report what I find.

Lesson: use tire pressures dictated by load unless that produces steering problems. And those pressures apply to both front and rear axles.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Neweller

Well Jon, as you enjoy the Anti-Squish Effect with your delightful classic, it also sounds like you have massaged out some of the Squishy Effect as well. Great to know that some simple things in life can bring us just rewards.

Does your coach have the front leafs or air-bags? Or by chance had it been upgraded to the air-bag system used on the 80's coaches. There was a independent guy who upgraded the suspension on quite a few earlier Newell's. He has long since been out of the business now, though it would have been nice if he was still around. I'm trying to recall his name and such.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
GORDON HUMMEL

Jon,
You mentioned the bushing on the Ridewell suspension being a possible problem, so I'm assuming that is what you have. I found the tie-rod ends on my rear transverse torque rod to be worn out. Also the tie-rod end on my drag-link at the axle was bad. Both of this items caused wandering. Almost forgot, the wheel bearing on the right side were adjusted within specs, BUT was my problem. I think if you'll look on this side, you will see where I put my Newell on one of those shacking rigs & all was OK. My mechanic, raised the wheel, using a crow bar shocked the wheel & didn't like it. We pulled the wheel & all was OK. reassembled & he adjusted the bearing by hand, did a test drive & all was ok.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
77newell

To Ken: I see no evidence that the suspension has been changed and the vintage of the front 4 bag setup is of the late 70's vintage.

To Gordon: The track bar (transverse torque bar) really seems to take a beating and on the Wanderlodge site there were multiple references to needing to change the end bushings. I will be having mine checked out. You also noted that wheel bearings can make a difference. I've been studying the trucking standards for getting this right and it's more sophisticated than the way I've done in on old cars, tractors and airplanes. This too will get checked out along with the bushing in the fore-to-aft parallel torque arms. Once I get all this straightened out I'm thinking I will reduce my steering wheel size from 22" to about 18" or so. I expect when this is all done it will drive like a dream and I will share a summary of all that was done and the results.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
GORDON HUMMEL

Jon,
2 other points,
I changed my steering wheel to an 18" & it really helped.
The other thing is camber. If tires have been changed to something wider then stock, adding camber is important. As tires get wider, they tend to want to follow undulations.
I had a gas Pace Arrow in 84 & put on some new Pilot 70 series & until I added more camber it was almost impossible to drive.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 06-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Dave-n-Marjorie

Hi Gordon,

I am looking at changing my steering wheel to 18". What kind did you buy and how hard was it to install???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON HUMMEL View Post
I changed my steering wheel to an 18" & it really helped
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Dave-n-Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
GORDON HUMMEL

Dave,
The wheel I used was off a Mack truck. VIP is the mfg as on many commercial. As I recall, the hub diameter was the same, but I had to drill the 8 holes on the new wheel.Click image for larger version

Name:	18 in steering wheel 001.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	4241
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 06-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Neweller

Gordon, that is a very fitting wheel. I too have used wheels off of other trucks etc... Back on my '78 I had pulled one from new National RV surplus, it was a Freightliner wheel with multiple push button controls and it fit just fine and dandy. On an '86 coach I used a Peterbuilt wheel and it worked. Now, I'm not 100% sure if there would be any drilling like Gordon mentioned on installing one on a later Newell. I may have another wheel that I could take a photos of and folks could make some comparisons.

Amazingly, removing my old wheels were easier than some autos I've done. I didn't even need a steering wheel puller.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote