Pacific Coast Hwy Update - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
'TIL MONDAY

Default Pacific Coast Hwy Update

We completed our trip up the Pacific Coast through Oregon and it was great. We just needed more time, 10 days was not nearly enough. Oregon has lots of RV parks and lots of state parks all along the way. Definitely one the most RV friendly places I have ever been. Oregonians seem to be very appreciative of well kept older RVs. We received a lot thumbs up, friendly waves and compliments.

Thanks again to Michael, Clarke and Elaine for their advice. At times the highway was narrow but very drivable, just as you stated.

Can’t wait for the next trip .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00868.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	18   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00881.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	19  

1974 Newell
'TIL MONDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
encantotom

so, i am in vancouver now with the coach (drove up from phoenix) and will be going down highway 1 in a week or so. can you give me some tips on what parts to avoid? i seem to remember down by hearst castle it is pretty bad.... i am pulling a car too.

thanks

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:52 AM   #3
chockwald

Hey Tom.....I have not driven HWY 1 in Washington, so I have no opinions on that, but from Astoria, OR south to the California border is more than driveable, and there are great State Campgrounds, and private RV Parks in abundance. From the California border south it is driveable, but south of Eureka it is slow going....very windy (twisty) and speed limit is mostly 25mph. My recommendation is not to bite of too many miles in this section per day. Maybe 120-150 max. It will just wear you out. Once you get below Bodega Bay toward Olema do not go any further as the section from Stinson Beach to Sausalito is not driveable for anything longer than 20 feet. Take Sir Frances Drake Blvd. over to I-580 south around San Francisco to HWY 101 south, which becomes HWY 1 again. From there south it is doable, but again, don't bite off too many miles per day. The section south of Monterey through Big Sur is a must see, and is more than driveable.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
encantotom

thanks a ton. we are going on a cruise to alaska tomorrow and will spend 20 days driving the coast coming home....

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
chockwald

Tom...I am jealous....enjoy the cruise and really enjoy driving down HWY 1. When you get to the Astoria, OR, Newport, OR area and Coos Bay area let me know and I'll give you some recommendations for RV Parks that we stayed in. For that matter in Northern California too....we have found some great places to stay in our many trips down Highway 1 and would love to share them with you.

chockwald@verizon.net
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
zcasa

Default Oregon Coast

Hey Clarke:

Thanks for the Oregon info. My wife, Denise and I, David, are heading out of Denver, Sunday July 20th, with Coach #303 1992 42.5'. We are taking a 7 week trip straight north to Glacier on into the Lake Louise area and making our way to the Anacortes Newell Rally. Our present plan is to stay in Portland for three days, my wife has a major account there, and then to spend 5 days in Newport at the Outdoor Resort park. We are then driving to Crescent City on Labor Day and are wondering if 101 from Newport to Crescent City is advisable? Also, from Crescent City we are going to Navato, CA and then across to Lake Tahoe.

Any Parks in Crescent City and Navato that you would recommend along with the route would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

David and Denise
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
chockwald

Highway 1 from Newport to Cresecent City is very driveable. We stayed in Crescent City a few years ago at Bayside RV Park which is right on Highway 1, right in town on the water. Entire park is paved, but sites are level, staff is friendly. Walking distance to restaurants, shopping. Nothing fancy, but full hookups. There is a nice steak house that you can walk to in 3 minutes...very nice. Haven't stayed in Novato before, so no recomendations there.

Even though you mentioned that you are staying at Outdoor Resort Park in Newport, take a look at Bridgeview RV Park. Right in the shadow of the Yaquina Bay bridge, and lighthouse. 5 minute walk to Rogue Brewery, which has a great restaurant right in the brewery. Very nice RV park. Entrance to RV park on south end of the bridge.

Are you going to drive any of HWY 1 south of Crescent City, or are you staying on 101?

Where are you staying at Lake Tahoe? Tahoe is one of our favorite destinations of all time. Have been going there since 1954 when I was 5 years old.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 AM   #8
'TIL MONDAY

I had no problems on Hwy. 1 from Eureka, Ca up to Astoria.
I stayed at the KOA in Eureka. It was ok but NOT scenic so I don't really reccomend it. In the Gold Beach area I stayed at Turtle Rock RV Resort and it was great. Right on Hunter Creek and the Ocean. In Florence I stayed at Honeyman State Park and it was really nice. Then in the Astoria area I stayed at Fort Stevens State Park and again it was really nice. One place I will definitley try next time is Sea Perch Rv Resort. It's like 7 miles south of Yachats right on the beach (Sea Rose Beach?). It looked like a great place to stay if, you want to be on the ocean.

I was advised to not take Hwy. 1 south of Bodega Bay so I didn't. I actually took Hwy 20 around Clear Lake. It's a nice drive but it's a slow go due to lot's of little towns. Also, Hwy 1 may be closed in the Big Sur area due to the fire. If you want to get to Hearst Castle I would take the 46 from Paso Robles to Cambria. It's a nice drive and Hearst Castle is not far north of Cambria. I've never taken Hwy. 1 or the 101 south of Santa Maria but I'm sure once you get south of Santa Barbara or Ventura you will be in heavy traffic.

1974 Newell
'TIL MONDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
zcasa

Thank you, Gentlemen. Excellent info and tips. We are planning on driving Hwy 1 from Newport to Crescent City the same day, which is around 230 miles. Recognizing it will be slow go with the towns and scenery. Hope we can make it with our 6-7 hour driving limit. After Crescent City, we plan on utilizing 101 to Navato. Again, it will be a little bit of a haul, but hopefully doable.

Our reservations presently are at Zephyr Cove, Lake Tahoe. Any better recommendations will be most appreciated, as we are there for six days. I'll check out your recommendations for the Newport area. Thank you.

Would be great if we could talk the administration into a thread whereby we could all post some RV Parks that we would recommend.

Safe travels.

David and Denise
Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
chockwald

David....have stayed at Zephyr Cove twice in the past 5 years. Very nice RV Park, with lot's of trees. The RV park is across the highway from the lake, but there is a traffic light and cross walk so you don't have to sprint across the highway dodging vehicles. The entire complex covers both sides of the highway. They have an excellent onsite restaurant, a small store with essentials, a bar/grill located next to the dock, boat rentals, great sandy beach, horse back riding stables, and the Tahoe Queen paddle wheel boat which takes you on a round trip to Emerald Bay leaves from that same dock at Zephyr Cove. You are around 3 miles from the nearest supermarket, which is south of Zephyr Cove. This is a great destination resort and you will enjoy your stay there.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #11
zcasa

Thanks, Clarke. Looking forward to seeing you on the road. Just signed up for Anacortes today. If you're there, we will enjoy meeting you and yours.

David
Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
chockwald

I had planned to go to the Anacortes rally, but it's looking doubtful right now. It's still a possibility, and if I can work out some details schedule wise we'll make it happen. Enjoy your trip!

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles