Wall Refinishing Ideas? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
Neweller

Arrow Wall Refinishing Ideas?

I would like to hear the different options that Newell Owners have been choosing when redoing their coach interior walls. I have heard of owners using cloth, vinyl, laminate (formica), leather and so on.......

It would be nice to know of any pros and cons to the different products used? What you would not do again and what has turned out to be a great durable option?

From what I know, most 70's and 80's used laminate throughout on virtually all surfaces and later models going with soft goods on walls and wraps etc.. I'm sure this information would help a lot of people.

Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
prairieschooner

When we got our '82 it had Wallpaper throughout on the Walls and some of the Cabinets. As some of you remember We bought the '82 out of Yuma and it had been sitting for 7 years. Well the Wallpaper was coming off in areas so we began to strip it and were pleasantly surprised to see that we had a light colored Laminate under the Wallpaper. This was not an easy job and we still find little patches but luckily for us it was possible.
I just went looking for some pictures of the Interior but did not find any, I'll have to take some. My guess is that we are still in the process of restoring the Interior I really haven't taken many if any at all.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Neweller

Steve, interesting note. So, are you basically saying that you guise removed all the old wall paper that a previous owner had placed? If so, how was the overall condition of the original laminate?

My current coach is virtually all laminate which is very easy to take care of. A couple of areas we have thinking about changing do to hairline cracks and have been contemplating if we should overlay the original laminate on the walls with another color or different material to break things up a bit.

I really like the two-tone look whether I stay with all laminate or go with a fabric or vinyl on the walls. And seeing how Newell has used fabric type materials, brings that thought to mind. If I was down in California, it would be an easy knowing a friend that had like hundreds of sheets of a real beautiful laminate that would complement my existing brown wood-grain look.

Ken

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
jwe648

Default My Story

I had replaced half of each plywood walls in the bedroom. I then sanded everything smooth and installed new almond laminate that I bought from www.wilsonart.com/ from their will-call desk $38 per 4x8 sheet and $20 for the glue.. you also need a j-roller and a strong arm on the walls. I routed out the windows after everything dried... Works fine ...
Old 06-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
chockwald

Our coach came with extra several sheets of laminate, which is fortunate, because the panel on the inside of the door has developed a hair line crack, much like the ones Steve (prarieschooner) has on his door. We've stayed, for the time being, with the original laminate. We like the interior look......
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
prairieschooner

Ken,
Yes, we tried all kinds of "snake oils" but in the end found that good old hot water and dish washing detergent worked the best. This was done over the first winter that we spent in the coach. When we found ourselves in one place for a while Tricia went to work on it. I was busy with the mechanical and electrical repairs as well as the polishing of the outer skin and wheels.
Overall the laminate was in very good condition. We found a few hairline cracks in the laminate after stripping the wallpaper. Tricia and I both like the laminate better than the wallpaper. This year I found a polysulfide sealant that is very close to the same color of our laminate, I then tapped the crack and filled it with the sealant. The cracks are very hard to notice although still there. We may replace the laminate on the door one day if I can find a laminate that is close enough to not look worse that an original piece, but that is on the back burner since it is very hard to notice now. After restoring numerous classic wooden boats and cars one does learn to appreciate the character that comes with age after all our Prairie Schooner is almost 30 years old.
Now we are on to reupholstering the interior furnishings and other interior upgrades.
Tom should chime in soon, he and Darlene have done allot of work to their interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	River Run May 09 006.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	774  
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
Neweller

Jimmy, that is a pretty good price from Wilsonart. Much better than the prices I've seen at Home Depot and such. And Wilsonart makes a great product. I may do something similar and go with a more solid type of color to break things up.

Steve, that is awesome that you got all the wallpaper off to find nice Formica underneath. Looking forward to seeing some of your interior pics. So, you went from shining seas in a Schooner to a Praire Schooner, eh? Well, you have good taste in toys.

And Clarke, I think we all have hairline cracks somewhere, especially the doors. I have one too, and I'm currently improving my door and will probably put a new piece of Formica laminate that I have laying around that matches. Glad to here you got some extras. The previous owner did you a big favor having had those around.

Ken

-Bob Marley
Old 06-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
prairieschooner

Ken,
We are getting away from the subject but I am a Merchant Mariner, just renewed my 5th Certificate officially called 100 Ton Master Steam Power or Sail and I am proud of it. Since I am a Marine Surveyor I am still spend a few days a week at Sea. Being a Marine Surveyor I do know the difference between poor and good quality and our Newell was built with great craftsmanship and quality materials.
Back to the Subject. Does anyone know what the Manufacturer of the Laminate was in '82? I feel naked out here without a spare sheet. I removed a convertible Table in the Living area after returning from the Creede Rally since we both liked the open appearance of the newer coaches that we saw at the rally. I would like to build a small Cabinet or Rack at that area.
maybe we could start a discussion about Floors next?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Neweller

Steve, from what I've been told, Newell has always used "Formica" brand laminate. When I removed some laminate from one of my wall areas, it actually had Formica stamped on the back of it. This is on a '78. And the same thing on a '76. Crazy thing now days, is that I have had found closer samples in other brands....not exact, but close.

-Bob Marley