Filtering/Softening City Filled Water? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
MarkofSJC

Default Filtering/Softening City Filled Water?

Really curious how each of you approach refilling your domestic water tanks.

My first inclination would be to just hook the hose up to the tank and turn it on, but having lived (and drunk the water) in many different areas throughout the U.S., I would be concerned about hard water, or even some well water that has a lot of "stuff" in it.

I saw on some web site there was a guy that camped in his Newell throughout the winter, snow and all! He had all of his city filled water go through a small water softener prior to going into the coach. The thing wasn't very big (looked a little like a 5 gallon propane tank), and he up-turned a 33 gallon trash can to insulate it.

I was curious if any of you took similar precautions...especially after looking at what hard water could do to those nice shower enclosures, basins and faucets!

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
RussWhite

Mark,

This is the one I use. Bought it at the Miami boat show a few years ago. Hope I NEVER have to have it insulated!

http://www.spotfreeh2o.com/index.php

Cheers,

Russ

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Wally Arntzen

Mark, I have used the same one that Russ for 8 years and it is great. When I fill my tank no matter where it is I have a filter before the softner and the water has never been hard of impaired by taste. When parked in an RV park it is hooked up the same way and our water is as soft as you can get. When washing the coach or car I connect it from the coach and wash it with soft water and do not get the stains you get from city water.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
MarkofSJC

Did you and Russ go for the 5000 model unit? Are you just using regular water softening salt when you recharge? (I'd love to use Potasium instead - much better if you're drinking the water!).
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
RussWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Did you and Russ go for the 5000 model unit? Are you just using regular water softening salt when you recharge? (I'd love to use Potasium instead - much better if you're drinking the water!).
I use the small one and regular softening salt. Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote