Licensing Fees - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
Patriot One

Default Licensing Fees

I'll start my first question with regard to licensing and such? I was trying to figure out what year of coach I going to go with and looking in the NADA, I didn't see a category for Newell? Don't know if I am missing something or what? Wanting to know how they value these coaches?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
folivier

Don't think you'll find any NADA or such pricing. Try looking here on classifieds section, also rvonline.com, you should get an idea of pricing for the different years from there. Also newellcoach.com has a listing of preowned coaches they are selling (though these should represent the top of the price range).

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
encantotom

each state is of course different on licesnsing fees. in az they take the original price and discount it so much per year.

for prevost and bus conversions most take the cost of the shell and start there.

for mine i can tell you when i got it in 2007 i paid about 450 dollars for plates. mine is a 1990.

how the dmv did it was to declare a value when it was new. i went to a third party dmv office and it was much easier than going to a state run office but it did take some time to get them to figure out what to do.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
rheavn

AJ
Welcome to the site and I think you'll find some of the friendliest & most helpful people you'll ever find for help with your questions.

I searched for a Newell for over two years and purchased one in March of 2010. The State of Missouri valued the coach and charged tax based on what I paid--much different than AZ or how your state may do it. The question for me was how was I going to value a coach as there was no NADA value as a guide. I looked at the model years 1997 to 2003. I never found two coaches that were equipped exactly alike so I knew my quest would be challenging. Therefore I was not able to say a certain year coach with "x" number of slides is worth this. My research focused on what coaches were SELLING for and not what they were listed for. After 2 years I knew how I wanted my coach equipped & what I should have to pay for it. Once I focused on my coach I then discounted it further for repairs that I knew or felt it might need and the seller & I came together on a value. This system worked very well for me. My lender insisted on a formal appraisal. A company was hired & they inspected the coach in a much less thorough method than I did. When their report was final it told the lender that the coach was worth "at least what the buyer was paying and probably more".

Hopefully my experience will help you. I will disagree with something some one posted for you. While my two year search for a Newell was fun, owning a Newell is much better!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
chockwald

Our first motorhome was a 1987 Fleetwood Tioga Arrow (26') bought used in 2004. After a few years we decided we need something bigger, and settled on looking for a Class A diesel pusher. We, of course, looked at all the standard production coaches...Fleetwood, Country Coach, Newmar, Safari, Monaco, etc. We were looking for something about 8-10 years old in good condition. We had never even heard of Newell. After about a year of surfing the net, and checking out a few local Class A's we, quite by accident, stumbled accross our 1982 Newell on Craigslist. The pictures looked beautiful, but I was put off by the age...at the time 26 years old. I told a good friend about the coach, and he, fortunately, did know about Newells, and told me this was a killer deal. We went down to Palm Springs to look at it and fell in love with the quality of the fit and finish. After a few days of research, and introducing myself on this very forum as a potential future owner we bought the coach. The reception we received is identical to the one you have received. These folks are genuine, give you the shirt off their backs people. In time you will become friends with many of them. We bought a wonderful coach, and have never had one 2nd thought about our purchase. The thing we didn't expect was all the friendships that have evloved out of our purchase.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Newell Tank

AJ, Newell not being in a NADA can play to your advantage depending on your state licensing laws. I don't like it where a state looks up in the computer and tells me what my coach is worth, especially when in most cases it is higher than its true value. Been there, done that. I hope whatever Newell you end up owning, you will prosper on that end.

There are three of us in my family that own Newell's. And it all started right here. And since then this site has increased a lot in valuable information. I'm sure you are doing your share of reading here. Just keep asking questions and folks here will help you get it figured out. And like one had said, spend your money. But of course, wisely.

Best of Luck!

When I'm not flying high, I like to be down low in my Tank. Newell Tank that is!
Newell Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
Neweller

AJ, your on the right track here getting questions answered.

I'm figuring your in Washington state? Since you sound somewhat concerned about fees, and I think Oregon still has a flat rate. Unless, you're going fulltime and possibly relocating to another state, which could be a viable option. Myself being in Colorado, we have pretty good rates if your vehicle is 7 yrs or older.

Some states will require an appraisal of sorts on a custom coach like a Newell.

I would line out a target price for your new coach, factor in all projected monthly operating costs, then make adjustments until you arrive at your comfort on price.

And, just keep asking questions here in the forum until your feel ready to take the plunge. Going with a Newell, you are in for a special treat.

Ken W.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Ron and Susan

Smile Newell Licensing-Washington State

We are located in Washington State and when we bought our 1988 newell
last year we got a form from the local county auditor (state licensing office) and
seller and owner declared the actual purchase value of the Newell and then we
paid state sales tax on the purchase price.

Note: Washington does have computer list of most vehicle values but my Newell
was not on the list.

1988 Newells typically sell in the range of $50,000 to $75,000.

The license tags for 2010 were $111 in Washington State.

Insurance rates vary all over the map depending upon the coverage,
from $250 a year for just liability insurance to $700 or more per
year depending upon age and coverage.

If you tow a vehicle you will have to add a towing package to the auto,
approx $1000 or more and a braking device for the auto aprox $1000.

We get about 6 miles to gallon with the 8V92 diesel engine.
Our tanks hold 333 gallons.

Annual oil changes and filters may cost in the range of $200-$400

Tires range from $400 or $600 (each) and up depending upon brand.

The person we bought our Newell from would not let us buy until we
had coverered parking since he had always kept it in a heated gagage,
coverered parking seems to vary from $100 (great price) that we got
to $378 or more per month. Covered parking may be tough to find.

Hope this gives you some ball park numbers.....
1988 Newell 40 ft tag axle #179
No DDEC 8V92 545 HP (100 Injectors) HT740
2005 Jeep Liberty Toad

PHOTO ALBUM: https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=33
Ron and Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
wallyarntzen

I've had mine licensed in two different states and told them it was an old bus that I use for a construction office and was worth 20,000.00. Had no problem due to the fact that they cannot find it in an NADA book and they did not go any further.
Tom may get mad at me for being devious but thats the way it was and I'm sticking with it.
wallyarntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
encantotom

wally wally. what are we going to do with you.

hope things are going well for you. any storms yet?

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Bill & Sonja

I have heard that it is simple and advantageous to form a Montana corporation and have it own, license and insure an expensive coach. This was the case with our Newell which resided in Arizona but was owned by a Montana corp. I believe there are agents/attorneys that specialize in this procedure.
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
zcasa

A word of caution on Coach registrations within LLC's in other states than your principal residence. Here in Colorado, there are Revenue agents and Prosecutors that have charged Coach owners with Felony Criminal Tax Evasion for such schemes. The best advice would be to get competent legal counsel in your State of residence, before relying on agents/attorneys from States that allow these registrations. The twelve owners that were charged, probably spent far more on legal fees, deferred prosecution and such, than the sales tax and registration fees of Colorado imposed.
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Richard and Rhonda

It costs about 1200 to 1500 to set up a Montana LLC. Montana has no sales tax on RV's. You will pay a one time fee of about 300 bucks for a permanent tag, and then about 200 per year to maintain the paperwork for the LLC. Those numbers are from rememory, so they are estimates.

I am not going to comment on whether this is a good thing or bad thing. You can research opinions on RV.net about Montana LLC's.

The loophole is this. You typically have thirty days to register a vehicle in a state. So, technically speaking, you should leave the state every thirty days to restart the clock.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
prairieschooner

I like Wally's idea best !!!
Wouldn't an LLC in Montana work for you if you go full time?
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
prairieschooner

ah but leaving that state every 30 days.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Neweller

Well, there are a few options already listed here.

A person really needs to know if he is fulltiming or partiming, to find an advantage on savings. I know there are clean alternatives to saving without putting oneself in any jeopardy.

Fulltiming obviously puts you in the best position on the option of legally relocating your address. I do know folks who have an address in Florida and title their vehicle there while renting a home out in another state and it is above board.

I for one am not happy with the new fees I just received in the mail today on my Honda Van. They virtually doubled. (thanks gov. ritter) I can only imagine what a later model Newell will run me. I own property in AZ and WA and will eventually be fulltiming in a little newer coach. So, I to may be looking at the available options. When you have the coach and tow vehicle to deal with.....

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
jwe648

Default Vat

Since in live in AZ as does Tom, I can say I pay 1200 for my fifth wheel and 700 for the truck to pull it... it's the VAT they add to the plate fees..

But the ole' 74 Newell ... how about $25.. I thinking should try historic plates that way it would be $10... I'm thinking older is better ....
Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #18
Neweller

Jimmy, it makes a lot of sense on the older coaches in regards to savings. You would think any coach over 20 years should qualify for a good savings.

You do bring up a good point on year. I am only wanting to upgrade on size and storage, otherwise I would go through and do a semi-restor on this old girl. Year will be a determining factor for me, depending on my permanent address. My PV addy might come in handy, when we hit the road fulltime.

-Bob Marley
Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
Patriot One

My Goodness! I didn't expect to come back and find all these great responses. There are a lot of different ideas and opinions here. A very diverse group on this site.

I better frequent this board a little more often or I might miss out.

Thanks everyone for the friendly input.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #20
fulltiming

Obviously, there are pro's and con's to each state as far as a fulltimer is concerned. Many chose one of the states that do not have a state income tax. Others buying an expensive coach may be more interested in a low/no sales tax state. No right answer for everyone. I have been a Texas resident most of my life so when I retired, I stayed a Texas resident. No state income tax was a big deal for me. Texas charges vehicle registration fees based on weight. Cars are typically in the $50-$70/year range and a Newell, depending on the actual weight (not GVWR) runs about $260 a year. Downside is you need to get an annual state vehicle inspection each year. Of course, since everyone should visit some part of Texas each year anyway, that shouldn't be a problem.

Whatever blues your gun.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote