Drawing an oil sample - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
timebum

Default Drawing an oil sample

How does one go about getting the small oil sample to send to Detroit Diesel for analysis? I have been wondering just how big a mess I could create by trying to draw just a few ounces .

timebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
tuga

Art,

It isn't easy. I would wait until you change the oil and take a sample from the last few ounces of oil in the base. If you can't wait that long read on.

On my 93 Newell I installed a device that allowed you to open and close a valve instead of removing the oil drain plug. I can't remember where I bought it or what it was called. I was always afraid that if I scraped the bottom of the coach in grass that the valve might be opened by rubbing on the ground and all of the oil would drain out. Automatic bad deal!
If I can find it online I will post it.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
encantotom

you need to take it from the oil pan drain plug. it might be tempting to take it from the dipstick hole, but that wouldnt get the sample you want.

ideally you want to have it taken from a flow like tuga said. i am hesitant to put the easy drain pitcock kinda thing for the same reason tuga mentioned.

i take my samples to the local cat dealer and they analyize them and email me the results. it is pretty cheap. i do the tranny, differential and engine.

for the coolant i just use the test strips.

i have taken a sample by getting underneath and opening the drain plug part way. but, the best way is to just do it whenever you get your oil changed.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
zcasa

Wow, didn't even know about this. Thanks. I will be getting my oil changed upon my return to Denver in late May and I will follow through on sending it in. Also, the strips are something that I need to do. I guess I get them from a truck stop or bus shop? Need help on that one for sure.

Good info thanks guys.
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
encantotom

hi dave,

i have some strips we can check your coolant with when you get here. then you can see what ones i use.

oil samples are best once you have a baseline. i started when i got mine and will keep having it donen whenever i change the fluids. it helps tell you the engine wear and such and is a cheap way to keep tabs on your engine and tranny and differential.

tom

Old 04-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
zcasa

Thanks, Tom. Looking forward to learning some more from the Pro. I appreciate all of your experience and sharing of it. See you in a couple of days.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
prarieschooner

I withdraw Oil Samples for Analysis on a regular basis while performing my duties as a Marine Surveyor. I always pull the Samples after the Sea Trial so that I get a actual look at the Lubricant that is being circulated. Before we bought our '82 Newell, I removed Samples from the Main Engine, Transmission, AC Generator and both Radiators. I will be taking Samples prior to each Oil Change so I can compare with previous Samples and this can help schedule Repairs before they turn Catastrophic.
I purchase the Sample Bottles by the dozen and I purchased the small hand Vacuum Pump from a local Machinery Company. The cost of the Lab Results is about $12.00/each (prepaid by the Bottle) when bought by the dozen and I think that the Pump was about $30.00. The Sample Bottles come with tubing that is used only once to eliminate the contamination from other samples that are taken.
The file is too large to attach at this forum (61KB) so if you send me a PM I will forward a copy of the Lab Results from my '82 6V92
prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
chockwald

Steve....what is the name of the outfit you get the prepaid bottles from for the test? I have a friend who is looking at a motorhome and he wants to get this done.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
afrench45

Just curious how many if any of you run full synthetic in your coach?
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:37 AM   #10
encantotom

hi, i know you might have meant newer ones like yours, but i will give my two cents worth. when the 8v92 was put into service in bus's and dumptruck and over the road trucks, they didnt run synthetics. or i believe few of them did.

so....i run good old regular oil and tranny fluid. my bus shop recommends it and it had it in before i bought it and that is what i will do.

my two cents worth and i know i will get disagreed with on it.

happy tuesday (thats what it is here in tel aviv where i am today)

tom

Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #11
RussWhite

Default I used Tom's shop

Hey Tom,

It's just been Tuesday for an hour in Tennessee. You are traveling entirely too much without being in your Newell
Since I used your bus shop I do not have synthetic. The first I learned of Newell using synthetic was during the walk around at the factory when the tech announced, "I don't know what you have in there now, but when it left here the first time it was full synthetic". I am not sure what I will do for the next oil change. I run synthetic in my cars, but never have in any previous motor homes.
Regards,
Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
chockwald

I won't disagree with you, Tom......Shalom!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
Wally Arntzen

My understanding is that you cannot use synthic in the 8v92s and they strongly recommend using the straight 40 weight oil year around. I use transend synthetic in my transmission and synthetic in the differential. I also have all of my grease zerks greased with synthetic grease due useing it in extremly cold weather.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
prairieschooner

Be careful when you buy the oil. I was told by a mechanic to be sure to use a motor oil that is formulated for 2 Stroke Diesels. I use Chevron Delo 100 40 weight
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
chockwald

Yep, according to my DD owners manual you MUST use ONLY single weight, 40wt, oil.....multi weights can only be used when temps are below freezing for extended periods of time. Use of mutli-weight oils under normal operating conditions will cause long term damage to your 2 stroke DD. Many shops will tell you multi-weight oils are OK for these engines, but they DO NOT know what they are talking about. Mine has always had Rotella heavy duty 40 weight in its oil pan. Even my own mechanic tried to tell me that I could use a multi-weight, but then I showed him the manual and he changed his tune.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 09-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #16
busnut

Mobil does make a straight 40W that is C?-2 rated. Just try and find it though. Rotella T works for me and available almost everywhere.

'93 43.5' #318
busnut is offline   Reply With Quote