Trans Over ride switch in front bay - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
encantotom

Default Trans Over ride switch in front bay

the bay in front of the drivers wheel that has the hwh stuff in it.

there is a big box that has a switch at the bottom of it that says Trans Over ride on and off.

does anyone know what it is for? the allison manual doesnt have anything about it.

my switch is in the ON position.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
afrench45

Its to move the coach with the slides out. Mines been on since I purchased it from Newell.

afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
prestadude

I was told that if the slide did not seat properly in the closed position, the interlock will not allow the transmission to go into gear. The Newell tech said that if the pins do not drop into a locking position, the tranny will not operate. Rather than being dead on the road, the switch overrides the interlock. I had one problem with it once, it turns out I was not holding the slide close switch long enough and the slide did not close fully. I heard the slide motor start to labor and released the close switch. Turns out you are supposed to hold the switch until everything stops (at least according to Newell).
prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
encantotom

ok, so dumb question. if the level light is staying on and the trans override switch is on. how do i know the slides are locked in with the pins engaged?

there is two boxes with indicator lights on them in the bay in front of the drivers front steer. i have not looked at them to see when the lights come on.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
rheavn

Try turning the override switch off. You may find that the previous owner did not close the slide properly and your level light may go out on the dash--sounds like many people once they have a problem just leave the switch in the override position and disregard the level light. If with the switch off the trans will not go in gear & level light stays lit, then the sensor is not telling the control box(the big box) that the slide is locked in place. Look over the top of the slide valance and I believe you can physically see if the locking pins are in place without dismantling anything. If the locking pins are not down in the pin holes, you could have a locking pin solenoid problem.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
tuga

Tom,

I also leave my Trans switch in the ON position. In order to make sure that the pins have seated I hold down the retract button for about 5 seconds after the slideroom has retracted fully and I hear the pins lock. That way I am sure that they are completely seated.

Another little trick: when you are extending your slides if you notice that the pins are staying in the locked position for 1 second too long and the room appears to be sticking just release the extend button, give the pins another second or two to retract fully and then press the extend button again and continue running out the slide room.

I have watched my bedroom slide pins retract (to do this you have to remove the valence over the bed) when the slideroom is being extended. Sometimes they are a little lazy. HWH gives the pins 1 nanosecond to retract then the room starts to move out. By manually removing your finger from the button you are giving the pins an extra second to retract fully.

To remove the valence: extend the slideroom out HALF way then with the palm of your hand whack the bottom part of the valence with an upward motion. The valence has a piece of metal on the back of it and the metal sits in a metal channel. When you whack upward with your hand it will move up and you can continue whacking it up until the valence completely releases from the channel. I just thought of something: you may not have a valence on your bedroom slide! Oops!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote