Brand New... Vintage, 1968, Newell Coach owner - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Re-Phil

Location: Striving to live a nomadic lifestyle... But,official residence still Central Florida
Default Brand New... Vintage, 1968, Newell Coach owner

Hello : )

I am very glad, and honored, to join you all here on this sight. I have recently purchased a very original 1968 Newell Coach. I'd love to try to learn more info about it's past.

And, I want to ask you guys... your opinion. Stay original, vintage, as possible?? Or,... modernize all the way..??

I look forward to hearing from the vast amount of experience here. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Re-Phil

Re-Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
rheavn

Phil,
Welcome to the forum. We have members who own vintage to new here so I'm sure you will find the forum very helpful. Good luck with your new coach!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
jwe648

Phill..Welcome

Keep it original as you can.. Up grade where needed... Make it mechanicly sound.. Make it to suite you.. Good luck and post photos when can..
You'll be surprised the parts you can find with a little searching and luck!
Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
chockwald

Hey Phil.....welcome!! We own a 1982 and have made an effort to keep it with an "original" look, while updating some appliances (fridge, microwave), old CRT TV's to LCD, and replacing the carpet with wood floors....otherwise it is still pretty much original. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your baby!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Neweller

Welcome Re-Phil, it's so great you joined us and have bought a cool vintage Newell. I have owned three classics and would love to share what I know about them. Post away about anything you would like and we will jump at the opportunity to help. Myself, I like a mix of old and new and don't think it will matter to the value too much one way or another. Why not have some cool modern upgrades. I have done it to several muscle cars over the years and depending on what model and year it was, it was worth more modified.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
encantotom

welcome phil,

as far as original vs upgrade, it is not something that you will preserve the value of more if it is all original. to me it is more about making things work right and easily. if something needs to be replaced and the old version is as good as the newer one, i would do whatever is easiest.

some things you will have to upgrade...

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
HoosierDaddy

Hi Phil,
I would upgrade electrics and mechanical etc. Keep the vintage look as far as paint etc.. I restored a 1978 Newell a few years ago... One example . It had the old wedge style air brakes. When we put new brakes on we upgraded to newer S-cam brakes for not a lot more $.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Re-Phil

Location: Striving to live a nomadic lifestyle... But,official residence still Central Florida

Guys... Thank you for your input. I do appreciate you're input.

This coach is amazingly in good working order. I'm sure I'll find lots of items that will need to be replaced, but... I keep getting surprised by what does work. I expected much less. : )

As for the conversation about maintaining originality... soo much of this vehicle is original... the kitchen is 100% original... the bathroom/shower is original...the rear bedroom area is original... and, the living room area & driver's seat area is virtually original. I do not want to take away from it's originality, but... I do want a coach that I can live and travel in comfortably.

The bedroom area is still the couch / bunk beds suspended from ceiling with chains type thing. If you know what I mean. I think of what one of my best friends says about his fifth wheel... "it is setup to entertain 6, feed 4, and sleep 2". I kind-of agree with that. I am a single guy, with gf & all, but... no children. I do not really need a lot of sleeping areas. I'd like to convert the back area into a single queen size bed centered in the back. Or... I would really like to learn just what conversions they had for the bedroom area in 1968 ( cushions down the middle & etc. ).

Tell me what y'all think...

Thanks,

Phil
Old 06-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Re-Phil

Click image for larger version

Name:	826.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	2261
This is what she looks like guys. The fifth wheel is a friend's.
From what I can tell, virtually everything interior is original. However, powerplant-wise, the engine was converted to a diesel Caterpillar 3208. So far, it seems to run great. Very strong.
I'll work on posting pics of the interior soon.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Re-Phil

Steve & Suzy ( rheavn ),
Thanks for the warm welcome. : ) Looks like you all have a MUCH newer coach. I'm sure it is super nice.

Jimmy ( jwe648 ), Chockwald , Ken (ncadmin), Tom ( encantotom ), HoosierDaddy,
Hey there. Thanks for the input. Before I started doing too much, I wanted to hear the opinions of others who are familiar with the Newell Coaches and appreciate them. I have one close friend encouraging me to gut the interior & do a complete re-make. I certainly see where there could be benefits to doing that. You'd know exactly what you were working with & you could mold it into whatever shape truly fits your needs. But... the more I'm around this old coach... the more it's molding me. : ) lol It is old. No doubt. It'll have that old look to it(if I don't do a complete makeover), no matter what I do. However, I think with a little effort, some creativity, & a bit of luck... I think maybe I could modernize to some degree & maintain the majority of the originality of the coach. We'll see.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Re-Phil

Click image for larger version

Name:	715.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	2262Click image for larger version

Name:	719.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2263Click image for larger version

Name:	722.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	2264Click image for larger version

Name:	728.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	2265Click image for larger version

Name:	729.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	2266Click image for larger version

Name:	797.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2267
These are pics as how it looks today. Very little change from how it was when I bought it.
So far, I have bought 2 nice Interstate 1,000cca batteries and an assorted pack of fuses. : )
Other than that, just some TLC.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
bluesky

Love the vintage exterior look of the '68. If you have the vision, time and budget, go for a full makeover. Check out our '83, it was gutted and totally redone inside and out. We love the comfort, technology and cleanliness of the new interior and the paint gives the coach a modern look. We've actually had people ask if our coach is a new coach that someone tried to make look old. Haha
Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=47
1993 SOB
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Re-Phil

Hi blue sky,
I just saw your comments & looked up pics of your coach. Thanks for the input. I do like the neat, vintage, exterior look of the '68. And, some of the vintage interior is pretty neat too. But, seeing how your coach looks... that is super nice.! : ) Really. I know you must have put a lot of work & $$s into that. It looks great. I know you've got to be very proud of it.
Im curious, what length is your coach? It looks like you have more space to work with than what I have.
I like the look of the white interior. It looks clean & modern & I'm sure it helps brighten up the interior. How well does it hold up? I'd be affraid of it showing dirt easily.
How do you cover your windows?? From the pics, I did not see any curtains. They look like they are completely open... meaning, free of blinds &/or curtains. It looks great... looks smooth... probably makes the interior space feel even larger. But, curious how that works as for privacy & all.
Thanks for the input. I'm still brand new at this & still no where near decided as to how far, or in which direction, I will take my '68 Newell. But, I am enjoying it already. Just did my 2nd trip n it, in as many weeks. : ) Just short trips to local parks, ... trying to stay close to home ( familiar territory ) while I work out the kinks & learn a bit more.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
bluesky

Our coach is 40' and we have installed pull down blinds on most of the windows for privacy and to keep out the hot sun. They sit up under the valence (?), out of sight. They're accordian-like style, inexpensive and come in a variety of colours. Our windows are also tinted dark for privacy. The white leather is subject to getting dirty, however, we've had a few spills and they really do clean up well. The leather is soft and comfortable. The driver, passenger and couch are all Flexsteel, the same as in the new multi-million $ coaches.The previous owner did all the renos in 2006, so it was their vision. It's nice to have a completely clean and new interior, no odours, hold, smoke ....
Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=47
1993 SOB
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #15
pairodice

wow, this coach makes me want to do this to the 74 Newell we are considering... I wonder if we could put in a slide?
Beautifully done! Love the kitchen!
pairodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Re-Phil

Rally in Daytona Beach... Anyone from here going??
I have not attended a rally yet, but am considering going to this one. Any suggestions or opinions?
Curious if this is something beneficial for an owner doing a refurbishment, such as myself with my '68 Newell.