1974 Classic information request - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #21
jwe648

Default Here the Link

There are two versions here's the link to the info:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=75&pcid=10

Looks like it would work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockwald View Post
Is this additive something that can be used with two stroke Detroit Diesels?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #22
jwe648

Default GooD info

Thanks for the info... I've read the manual and what CAT recommends is to start the climp at 100% and shift down at 80% and so on.. for me that means start the climb @ 2850 and down shift @ 2200.. going down the hill not to exceed 3000 rpm that seems to do well along with the retarder .. I've also figured out that sixth gear means 62-65 mph fifth means 47-50 forth means 38-45 and third means 28-35... below that you may as well walk... The manual says if you cannot accelerate your in to tall a gear below 100%... makes sense..

Good idea on reducing the mix water cools better I'm using a NAPA extended life pre-mix and I believe that is a 50/50..
I took a look inside the radiator it's nice & clean.. found an overhaul tag so not many miles since then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Jimmy,
We had to "learn how to drive" when we took our first trip. What I found out was that we could climb just about any grade (even with the car in tow) by simply gearing down, thanks Larry Bell. What I want to do is keep the RPM around 1800-2000 with our V-6 (6V92) and sometimes this means climbing the grade at 25-30 MPH. The good part about that is that I am at the right speed to go down the grade when we get to the top.
Yes the Coolant can make a big difference---what ratio of Coolant to Water did you go with? Some Hot Rodders will run only around 25% Coolant in the Summer just to help cooling, you need to correct this when it starts to get cold! Remember to use a Coolant that is compatible to your Engine and Distilled Water.
The Radiator needs to be cleaned every so often on our older coaches. I use Simple Green and spray a heavy concentration from the Engine Side, allow it to sit for a while then spray the Water from the outside of the Coach towards the Engine so that I push the gunk back the way that it came in.
You are correct about the Pressure --- Good Find! I have found that our Radiator may look low when cold but after it heats up the level should be in the Sight Glass. This was another "learning curve" when we went to Creed I over-filled our radiator and the V-6 burped it out.
I have since learned much about our Prairie Schooner.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
prairieschooner

Jimmy,
The premixed stuff concerns me a little but that is because I like to be sure what I am using and just do not know what they mean by "de-mineralized". I just prefer to use distilled water then I know what I am putting in the engine and radiator, these are expensive items if corrosion begins.
When we were climbing Slumgullion and Engineers pass as well as a couple of others I may have been able to walk faster but I was in 2nd Gear. The Prairie Schooner climbed the grades with no issue.
Clarke,
I am not sure what to advise you, I don't change the mix.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #24
chockwald

OK, then what is the mixture you run all the time (% of coolant to water)?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #25
Richard and Rhonda

Demineralized means the water ran through an ion exchange bed to knock out the minerals. Just as effective as distilling and a lot cheaper. The technology is common where super clean water is required like in the medical device and pharmaceutical industry.

Chuck, best to stick with the 50/50 mix. Steve is right you can get slightly better cooling with a lesser mix of glycol but, and it's a big but, you have to remember to change it back to 50/50 for any cold climate. The trick is how to you know you have 50/50? Either some algebraic calculations assuming you know the true capacity of your system or trial and error using a hydrometer (not the same one you use for batteries though)
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #26
prairieschooner

Clarke,
I would recommend that you set your Coolant up for the Temperature Ranges that you will expect. The Coolant has a Chart that describes the recommended % for the Temperature expected. I think that I am using about a 40% Coolant to 60% Distilled Water (sorry Richard I still don't an ion exchange having used it in a prior career). Please keep in mind that I travel into Mexico and Arizona in the Winter, if I wanted temps below freezing I would stay home.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote