Generator Blower motor - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Lewis and Clark

Default Generator Blower motor

Hello, I have 1996 45' #410 Newell. I need some advice, when I start my gen. (20KW), the blower starts and runs, after an hour or less the blower shuts off and remains off for about 10 - 15 minutes. The blower motor is extremely hot to the touch. The squirrel cage is operating fine, smooth and spins freely. The motor the same when I take the belt off. I am assuming the thermal protector is turning the motor off and after it cools to an acceptable level it restarts. I guess if my assumption is correct, then I need to replace the motor. All input is welcome, before I spend $300 plus on a new motor.

Thank you
Nando Garbarino
Ft. Meyers Florida

P.S. This site is a life saver, not to mention a wallet saver, with all the great advice and help I have had so far. Thanks to all again!!!

Lewis and Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
rheavn

Nando,
My blower motor runs the entire time the generator runs. Also the owner's manual cautions that overheating can occur if the blower fan does not work. Sounds like you have diagnosed the problem correctly. You might try looking for a shop that rebuilds electric motors in your area. Might save you some $$$$.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
wallyarntzen

I have an 88 and the blower runs all the time after is started. If my blower stops running the genrator engine stops right away. Someone may have jerry rigged your system for some reason, but I am sure that is is supposed to stop the generator if the fan blower is not working. Newell has may safeguards in there coaches to protect the generator engine, the coach engine, transmission, etc. If my transmission or engine overheat the engine will stop running and I had it check ed out to verify that is the case.
Thats my 2 cents worth and I'm sticking with it.
I suspect you will be getting the same advice from several other members.

Happy travels. Wally
wallyarntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Lewis and Clark

Thanks Wally and Steve for your input. I will post again when I have the problem resolved.

Nando
Old 07-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
RussWhite

Nando,

Agreeing with the prior posters that your blower should run ALL the time the generator is running - mine does. But, how sure are you what is wrong? It might help if you used a clampon amp meter to monitor the current to the blower motor to determine if the current is above the rating of the motor. If it is, it would be pretty safe to assume the problem is in the fan system or air pathways. Should the current be within specs for the motor you could have a problem with the contactor providing voltage and current to the motor, although from you descriptions I don't think that is likely. You might employ an infa red heat thermometer to try and located what is getting hot - bearings, etc. I was told by a Newell tech that the lovers on the door directing the incoming air to the blower were important and the door must be left closed while the generator was running. Please post the nameplace data for the motor. Good luck, Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Lewis and Clark

Russ, will do.

Thanks,
Nando
Old 08-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Lewis and Clark

Russ,
Realigned the fan motor and loosen the belt. Took a 4 hour trip including 2 plus hours parked and with the gen running. The fan did not turn off once. I assume the misalignment and belt tightness was the cause of heat built up in the fan motor.

Nando
Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #8
RussWhite

Nando,

That is great news. Did the motor seem less hot?

My belt runs pretty loose and I have not tightened it as it seems okay the way it is.

Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 AM   #9
prairieschooner

If the Belts are too tight they would put extra strain on the Motor and Sheave Bushings and/or Bearings. I have always used a rule of thumb with about 1/2 - 3/4 inch or more deflection (the longer the distance between shafts the more deflection). If they are adjusted bar tight then the Motor would overheat. I have an old hand held fishing scale and put about 15 - 20 Lbs. of tension and look for the deflection. Here is alink to one of the sites (google);
http://www.kamandirect.com/resources...ensiometer.pdf

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote