Rat meat sold as lamb in latest China food scandal - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
NewellCrazy

Default Rat meat sold as lamb in latest China food scandal

BEIJING (AP) -- Chinese police have broken up a criminal ring accused of taking meat from rats and foxes and selling it as lamb in the country's latest food safety scandal.

The Ministry of Public Security released results of a three-month crackdown on food safety violators, saying in a statement that authorities investigated more than 380 cases and arrested 904 suspects.
Among those arrested were 63 people who allegedly ran an operation in Shanghai and the coastal city of Wuxi that bought fox, mink, rat and other meat that had not been tested for quality and safety, processed it with additives like gelatin and passed it off as lamb.

The meat was sold to farmers' markets in Jiangsu province and Shanghai, it said.
Despite years of food scandals — from milk contaminated with an industrial chemical to the use of industrial dyes in eggs — China has been unable to clean up its food supply chain.

The announcement came as China's top court on Friday issued guidelines calling for harsher punishment for making and selling unsafe food products in the latest response to tainted food scandals that have angered the public.
The Supreme People's Court said the guidelines will list as crimes specific acts such as the sale of food excessively laced with chemicals or made from animals that have died from disease or unknown causes.
China's penal code, which forbids unsafe and poisonous food, does not specify what acts are considered in violation of the law.

Adulterating baby food so that it severely lacks nutrition is also punishable as a crime under the guidelines. Negligent government food inspectors are also targeted for criminal punishment.
The supreme court said 2,088 people have been prosecuted in 2010-2012 in 1,533 food safety cases. It said the number of such cases has grown exponentially in the past several years. For example, Chinese courts prosecuted 861 cases of poisonous food in 2012, compared to 80 cases in 2010.

"The situation is really grave and has indeed caused great harm to the people," Pei Xianding, a supreme court judge, told a news conference.
"We cannot tolerate it any longer. We must punish the criminals severely, or we cannot answer to our people," Pei said.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rat meat.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	4052

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Neweller

Who knows what we get in the food they export to us. Heck, a lot of the meat at Walmart comes from overseas. We already know most farmed raised anything commercial is either from neglected animals or fed from GMO crops. We have some family working over in China right now and they say when they ask the restaurants what kind of meat is in their meal, the waiters say they don't really know.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
speedingsport

YUCK! Just one of the many reasons I would never want to visit China. You don't know what you're eating!
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
77newell

come on now, rat tastes good. If it is fed right it tastes just like mink. The only advantage of mink is that you can make a stole from the fur and brag about it. No one brags about their rat stole. Ooooh look! I got a rat stole!
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
MrE

I learn something new everyday, I always thought that rat meat tasted like chicken.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
JustDustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77newell View Post
come on now, rat tastes good. If it is fed right it tastes just like mink. The only advantage of mink is that you can make a stole from the fur and brag about it. No one brags about their rat stole. Ooooh look! I got a rat stole!
Are you being serious? lmao!
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
I learn something new everyday, I always thought that rat meat tasted like chicken.

Jon, a lot things sure seem to taste like chicken depending on how you cook, season and mix it. Rabbit and frog legs taste like chicken too! Rat is just another varmint. Some places in South America like their Guinna pigs and we think they are pets.

The giants thousands of years ago apparently liked us little humans. ouch!
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
folivier

I would maybe agree about some things tasting like chicken. IF it is a range fed chicken that has been roaming around the barnyard feeding on all kinds of things, from bugs to poop. The chicken you buy in the store is so tasteless it doesn't even taste like chicken
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
brwint

Kind of scares me thinking back on my multiple visits to China as a VP of a large computer co. I often wondered what I was eating. I prefer seafood and chicken non-farmed and free range.