Tech Talk Archives 9 - Page 8 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #141
Neweller

A
1153 11/9/2003 4:15:00 PM 11/10/2003 John George jgeorge@mwc.edu Safety steering wheel for 74 I have a 74 with a flat 22" Mack steering wheel. I want to replace it with an 80s "breakaway" safety steering wheel of smaller diameter. Does anyone have a source for steering wheels and/or advice on this conversion? Thanks for your consideration.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #142
Neweller

Q
1154 11/10/2003 5:15:03 AM 11/10/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Heater core water compartment Please contact the Newell parts department at 1-888- 3NEWELL. We can send you a replacement heater. To our knowledge, the core is not available separately.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #143
Neweller

A
1155 11/11/2003 6:20:19 PM 11/17/2003 Mark Hettinger Mark@blackfenders.com Vintage Newell I have a 74 Newell that was bought new by my father and passed down to me. The milage on this one is a little better then 300,000 and I can say that I would go anywhere with it. One thing to look for is the rusting out of the area under the holding and water tanks as with the design of the Newell if this area weakens it will allow the whole body to flex. I caught mine before this happened. If you find one with a MT41 Allision be aware that parts are getting hard to come by and as for upgrading horsepower forget they are at there max. The early Newells had some electrical problems that were brought on by the wiring being to small for the amount of run. Almost all the parts used back then were off the shelf and were mostly Ford. Another thing to look at is brakes, early ones used air wedge rather then the better S cam air brakes. Mine had a 1160 Cat in it from new but after two of them deciding to end life early we went to the 3208 Cat and that now has over 200,000 miles with just regular maintance. There are other areas that I have improved upon but nothing major except maybe replacing the old drafty windows with new ones. I love it and would not give it up for a new one, and that's my story

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #144
Neweller

A
1156 11/16/2003 9:49:27 AM 11/17/2003 Tim tim@useitagainmarine.com V692DD More Horsepower Larger injectors may be possible.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #145
Neweller

A
1161 11/22/2003 7:33:59 PM 11/26/2003 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com Switches Jon, My 1978 had a switch connected to the oil pressure switch that would shut the engine down if the oil pressure dropped. The "override" switch bypasses the oil pressure requirement during start-up. The switch is spring loaded to the off position. I found this set up somewhat troublesome so I eliminated it. A P/O may have done the same on your coach.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #146
Neweller

A
1162 11/26/2003 6:29:24 AM 11/26/2003 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net New Tires Our '79 Newell has 11R22.5 tires approx 7 years old. Tread is still good but sidewalls are showing their age and we have decided on new tires - just to be safe.
At one time, I had seen a tire recommendation in Tech Talk. Appreciate any recommendations including number of plys and weight range.
Also, the front tires have 'steering tread' that is different than the rear. Any viable reason not to use same tire all the way around so they could be rotated?
Thanks in advance.

1)Is there any reason

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #147
Neweller

Q
1163 11/30/2003 12:26:53 PM 12/4/2003 Steve Saraga s.saraga@att.net Switches Jon,

I'm not sure on the "ACC" switch, but I believe the "override " switch is for the radiator fan. When in override, the fan run's continually and bypasses the thermostat, very helpfull on those long uphill pulls. [Editor's note: Newell's of this vintage were not factory equiped with temperature controlled fans. Therefore, this switch would not be an override for such a fan unless the fan and switch were added later.]

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #148
Neweller

A
1166 12/2/2003 10:46:51 PM 12/10/2003 Mike Clarke zzig1@aol.com Switches Jon,
if your engine has a problem i.e. overheating, oil pressure
a warning light will come on, this is followed by an engine shut down. The OVERIDE switch overides the shut down for a short time (we are talking seconds) to enable you to get the coach to a safe place & out of traffic.
Mike
[TechTalk Editor: Actually, the system works slightly differently than explained above. On the Cummins '555' the manual override switch has to be held on (spring loaded position) in order for the engine to start. Once sufficient oil pressure was obtained the oil pressure override switch
can be released. If the engine loses oil pressure, this system will probably shut the engine down, except when the switch is held open, as suggested above. However, the switch is not related to engine temperature shutdown.]

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #149
Neweller

A
1169 12/4/2003 7:45:32 PM 12/10/2003 Larry Shaffer clarryshaffer@earthlink.net New Tires Rich,
I have a friend whose coach was fitted with the same tires all around and he could hardly keep it "between the lines" on the highway. I do not know the reason why the steering tires are different. I would not put anything except steering tires on the front due to my friends experience. There must be a good reason for the difference. Good Luck. [Editor's note: Special steer axle tires have a tread design optimized for the different wear characteristics experienced on the steer axle versus the drive axle. Standard tread designs can tend to "cup" or experience "river erosion" on the steer axle. If the coach is not handling correctly, we would suspect front end alignment, such as the tires actually having toe-out rather than toe-in.]

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #150
Neweller

A
1171 12/5/2003 8:53:12 AM 12/10/2003 Scott Peatross slpeatross@aol.com Locking Differentials I notice the late model Newells have a driver-operated locking differential. Great idea, another Newell innovation. I get my coach stuck now and then. Is it possible to retrofit to older axles? Who manufactures the unit? [Editor's note: the driver operated locking differential was standard on coaches beginning in the early 90s. Beginning with the new ZF axles and suspension system fitted to coaches beginning with deliveries this past summer, an electronic traction control is incorporated for the same purpose. Unfortunately, retrofitting either system is probably cost prohibitive because an entire axle assembly would be required.]

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #151
Neweller

Q
1172 12/8/2003 2:39:45 PM 12/10/2003 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net V692DD More Horsepower I took a look at my Detroit Diesel Service Manual and couldn't find anything definitive, but section 12 shows certified turbo engines starting at about 240 hp, so I doubt that you can get much more out of a non-turbo engine than you are getting. You can't just add a turbo to your engine since compression ratios change as does the blower ratio. I would check with a DDC dealer to verify what is possible with your existing engine, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Then you also need to determine the hp rating of the transmittion, that may be a limitation as well.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #152
Neweller

A
1173 12/8/2003 6:01:07 PM 12/10/2003 Adam Walkup Luvolekars@AOL.com desing of Newell's 1975-1982 I am just starting to look for a 75-82 Newell. My family is in the charter business, and I recently owned an MCI conversion. From what I have seen so far, I'm very interested in a Newell. I am wondering what changes were made during this period, as well as what different models were available. I seem to prefer the older look of the late 70's, and wonder when they changed to the later look with the square headlights? Any help on the differences in this era would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

[Editor's note: Some 1980 model coaches were fitted with the square headlights. Starting with 1981 models, a new front and rear cap was fitted, incorporating square headlights and taillights, as well as the "brow" over the front windshield. The current "Series 2000" body first appeared as the 1990 model.]

-Bob Marley
Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #153
Neweller

Q
1177 12/15/2003 3:17:07 PM 12/16/2003 Adam Walkup Luvolekars@AOL.com twin beds to queen bed Several of the classic Newell's I have found have twin beds in the rear. I am interested to hear what people have done to convert these, including how they looked when finished. Also what do others think that having the twin beds does to the value of the coach?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #154
Neweller

Q
1178 12/15/2003 4:58:03 PM 12/16/2003 Harold Sears whsears@cs.com RV Park Outlet Ground With my coach plugged into a 50 amp park outlet, the 120V outlets in my coach show good ground when tested with a circuit tester.

My question is: If the ground in the parks electrical box is not connected, will the outlets in my coach indicate no ground when tested with a circuit tester?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #155
Neweller

Q
1179 12/16/2003 8:54:58 AM 12/16/2003 Jim Cordner CRTJIMCORD@aol.com Switches Jon, I have a 1977 coach with a Cummins '555' engine. As suggested by Mike Clarke above "The override switch on the Cummins '555' (the manual override switch) has to be held on (spring loaded position) in order for the engine to start. Once sufficient oil pressure was obtained, the oil pressure override switch can be released. If the engine loses oil pressure, this system will probably shut the engine down, except when the switch is held open".
However on my coach, the switch is in series with the high temperature safety as well. Either loss of oil pressure or high engine temperature will shut down the engine. The override will allow a brief start to pull off to a safe area.I had to use it several times on long summer hill climbs in Arizona when the old girl got too hot. A P/O had by-passed both safety switches but I have reconnected them, and rely on them doing their job to protect the engine. You may have to trace some wiring to see which configuration you have.
Enjoy.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #156
Neweller

A
1180 12/16/2003 9:38:20 AM 12/16/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com RV Park Outlet Ground We recommend that you conduct the grounding test at the source (i.e., the park's electrical outlet). Even than, you can't be absolutely sure of a good 'safety' ground because a possible loose, intermitent connection or inadequate grounding source, will indicate "ok" even at low current flow. This issue is complicated because a ground is really a safety backup. Even with a faulty ground, no problem will be experienced if everything is functioning correctly with no short circuits.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #157
Neweller

A
1181 12/16/2003 12:03:46 PM 12/17/2003 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net Switches Ah, now I get it. Thanks to all who have participated in this discussion. My coach originally had the 555 engine, but it was replaced with a 6V92T. Since the STOP coil works in reverse of that on the 555 my OVERRIDE now does exactly nothing. I suppose I could install a relay to reverse the signals and then create an automatic stop on low oil pressure, hmmmm something to think about. Thanks to all for clearing this up.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #158
Neweller

A
1182 12/16/2003 12:08:50 PM 12/17/2003 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net twin beds to queen bed I own one with twins and paid less than I would have for a queen version. The issue is how much is a queen worth to you. Despite my twins being able to slide together I'm thinking of swapping the coach for one with a queen. How much is it worth to you and your SO to sleep together, only you can answer than and I really don't want to know.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #159
Neweller

A
1188 12/23/2003 2:25:32 PM 12/23/2003 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net Cabinet edge moulding 1979 Newell with original cabinetry in beautiful condition. Sharp edges originally covered with (medium brown) 3/4 round vinyl type trim. Have one piece that needs replacing and would like to obtain original or close match. Looking for source. Thanks in advance.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #160
Neweller

Q
1189 12/24/2003 4:15:16 PM 12/26/2003 Bob Scott thescotts@proaxis.com Leveling system I am not happy with the HWH automatic leveling system on our 1995 coach. Can the system be updated or changed? The leveling system on our 86 coach, though not automatic is, in my opinion, superior. It does what I want it to do when I want it to do it and in a timely manner. If my understanding is correct it was built by the factory and, in typical Newell tradition, it works. I spoke with a representative from Valid at a recent R V show and they told me that they were working on a completely new system. Did this ever reach completion? If so, can their system be retrofitted to the 1995 coaches? What is involved both in installation time and cost? Maybe there is another way to go. I would be interested in learning what options are available.

-Bob Marley