Family of 14 gives up everything to live in RV - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Newell Attack

Default Family of 14 gives up everything to live in RV

Well this is crazy 14 people in an RV!!!!!! Its enough with just the 2 of us. I could not imagine 14 people all living in a single motor home.

Jeff

-----------------Article -------------------

Family of 14 gives up everything to live in RV | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

“Every single day is a weekend."

That's how Susie Kellogg, mother of 12, describes family life these days, after she and her husband, Dan, decided to sell their Glenwood Springs, Colorado home last fall, fill up an RV with their children—all of them—and travel the country in search of adventure. Permanently.

All but one of the Kellogg children—aged 3 months to 19 years, each with names ending in a "y"—are home-, er, RV-schooled in the morning. In the afternoon, they explore: kayaking, hiking, camping—anything they want.
“This is what freedom is,” Dan Kellogg told the "Today" show. “You go after it.”

“I want them to live life in the moment and not be living for tomorrow or ‘After my kids are grown’ or ‘Thank God it’s Friday,’” Susie added.
The eldest child—Kerry, who graduated from high school last spring—gave up a chance to go to college, opting to join the family on the road and work on graphic design.

“[At first] I thought that going in an RV wasn’t normal and was weird,” she told the "Today" show. But "we can do anything we want now. Anything. And nothing is holding us back.”
“I am so ready for this,” Kerry told Denver's Fox 31. “I am over Glenwood. I just want to enjoy new adventures and see new places.”

The Kelloggs have a website (KelloggShow.com), Twitter feed, Facebook page and YouTube channel to document their travels and promote their unusual way of life. They even penned a parenting guide—"Raising a Badass Family"—that Dan calls "a ramped-up, modern version of that which Dr. Spock and Dr. T. Berry Brazelton pioneered in both the 1940s and 1990s."
From the book's description on Amazon.com:
Filled with practical and compassionate advice for both new parents as well as those knee-deep in their parenting journey, it is a must read for all anxious parents, those suffering from parenting overload and those that simply need a swift kick in the pants. "Raising a Badass Family" delves deeply into the hot issues parents must face today, such as spanking, co-sleeping, daycare, homeschooling, raising teens and so much more.
It's like a real-life, supersized version of the Griswolds.

The Kellogg kids are undeniably close—both figuratively and literally—but Susie says the children are encouraged to socialize, even on the road.
"Our kids encourage each other, they coach each other, they police each other and they love each other," Susie wrote in a recent blog post. "They have built-in BFFs and they are meeting new people in every new stop—both kids and adults."

More:

This lifestyle also allows our kids to remain kids for as long as they wish. They run, climb trees, build fires, play pranks, wrestle, yell, scream, holler and laugh all day everyday. Dally summed up the enticement of RV life in one simple sentence: “I like having my house on wheels because I can go anywhere I want without having to pack and plan.” Yes! Freedom. Freedom to do whatever we want, whenever we want! We don’t play well by other people’s rules. We don’t like to be told what we can and cannot do. This nomad life is exactly what we were born to do!

And it doesn’t hurt that sometimes we are treated like rock stars by people who recognize us from YouTube or our blog! I wouldn’t trade my life for anything in the world

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Neweller

Jeff, that is totally ludicrous!

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
JustDustin

Click image for larger version

Name:	530557_483558891694996_51868843_n.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	3258
The coach they live in! If they can do it, I guess it shows it can be done. But real question is - why in your right mind would you want too?
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
MrE

I was going to list all the reasons why I wouldn't do it, but didn't want to fill the server's disk space so that there would be room for posts that I can actually relate to.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
speedingsport

Holy moley! That's all I can say!
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
Randy J

That's plain crazy!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
Nara Queen

Wow props to those parents. That's amazing in my opinion.
Nara Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
larryweikart

Live and let Live. Let's hear from them in a year or two.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
stewart33

I agree Larry I want to hear how long they can last.
stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Cheri Smith

Seriously?

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
prairieschooner

Not sure how their finances are...some are less fortunate
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3906.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	3270
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
JustDustin

I'd call that an adventure all right!

Maybe they did it just so they could be on the news?

We see and hear what the kardashians will do for a little fame.... even if we don't want too!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Randy J

To some its an adventure and others its crazy. Either way I couldn't ever do it. Cause as far as I see it. It's plain crazy like I said before. Dustin they might look you up to babysit.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
prairieschooner

Actually this guy is just down from us. I took the pic earlier today.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
Neweller

Steve, are you saying someone is staying in that little trailer? If so, that is probably like a large coach with 14.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
prairieschooner

Yes! take another look at it. There is a Shore Power (30 Amp Service) a TV Antenna, and even an Air Conditioning Unit. Not sure about the accommodations since it isn't ever left open.
With the conversation of 14 in a coach I just had to get the pic and share it. I did cover up his License Plate though just because.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Nara Queen

Any windows?! I couldn't do it without windows.
Nara Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
JustDustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J View Post
To some its an adventure and others its crazy. Either way I couldn't ever do it. Cause as far as I see it. It's plain crazy like I said before. Dustin they might look you up to babysit.
Randy shhh... don't give them any ideas!

PS. my rates wouldn't be cheap for aged 3 months to 19 years of age. If they call I'll tell them I know this great guy who said he'd give up a game or two of poker to help babysit.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
MrE

I just hope there is another way out than the rear doors that can easily be latched from the outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nara Queen View Post
Any windows?! I couldn't do it without windows.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
NEWELLWIZARD

Jon that is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the picture that Steve posted.

As for the original story from what the last line read about being treated like rock stars when people recognize them they have a following/fan base already!

NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote