solar panels expensive are the worth the money? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Novice Traveler

Default solar panels expensive are the worth the money?

I know they are quite expensive and it will take years to recoupe the expense to set up the system anyway and I wonder if they worth the money? Anyway here are my questions for the solar guys

What brand/make of solar panels can be easily configured into our system?
Any experiences on the "flexible panels"? I sort of like them because they seem to be able to be be glued directly unto the roof. Any undue complications if I glue them directly to the roof?
What solar charge regulators do you use/recommend?
What inverter/charger do you recommend?

Thank you.
[TABLE]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Novice Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Novice Traveler

I have started this new thread since I did not get much response on my other. My goal is to install about 800 watts of solar for when we are dry camping.

Novice Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
FJGuard

I've had some of these same questions and that's why I haven't jumped on the idea of solar but it sure would be nice for boondocking. Try reading this post - http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/a...lar-coach.html
FJGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
1993Newell

I have heard that by the time you think you have gotten back any money you may have saved, it's about time to change your old panels for new ones.

Not sure how true this is?

I believe solar is one of those options you choose to have because you think it will benefit you and your needs. If so then it's something you should add to your coach. If you think it wouldn't benefit you much, then of course it would probably feel like a waste of money.

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
JT.Booth

Solar electricity is a wonderful addition to your coach if you will be any where grid power is inaccessible or unavailable.

Solar power keeps batteries charged and healthy. A solar recharged battery system offers the freedom to run lights, refrigerator and appliances, fans and electronics anywhere the sun shines even in remote locations. You can enjoy youself without worrying about power.
JT.Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Starvin Marvin

Something to keep in mind here is that many Newell's have very large generators compared to a lot of other brands of Class A motorhomes and many do not care about the cost of ownership. With this being said, the generator is already there and get a superior job done.

Starvin Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote