Classic Motorcoach Window Upgrade Options? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
my38special

Default Classic Motorcoach Window Upgrade Options?

I've been exploring options to upgrade my '83 Classic Newell Coach windows and, so far, I've found that I can only buy new single-pane windows due to the 2.5" radius corners. However, I really want to install double-pane windows for the reduced road noise and greater insulating qualities. Has anyone found a company that offers 2.5" radius double-pane windows or have experience cutting the bus window frames larger to accommodate 3" radius?

my38special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
86loco

Mine are the original HEHR single pane windows and we have thought about changing things out but who knows we don't travel in extreme weather.

A few years ago my brother ordered new double pane windows from Motion Windows and he changed the radius from 2.5" over to 3". I could send you a sample corner of a window frame if that would be of any help to you.

You will have a little play to adjust the window around some without too much of an issue. The seal should more than covers it. Around the windows where the outer rim of the window it wasn't exactly the same on the new ones, my brother and I touched it up with matched paint of the coach and then he sealed around the windows all with black window silicone and you can't tell they are not OEM.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
JohnC

Peninsula Windows replaced the the windows on both my 79 and 87 Newells, with their double pane versions.

For pre-87 parallelogram windows I suggest taking your coach to Peninsula in Vancouver Washington, as the radius measurements are very difficult and very critical.

I did this a long time ago, and what seems like another life, but I was very impressed with Peninsula. I still have the 87 coach and the windows are still fog free and beautiful.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
greatriver

Default Peninsula/Motion Glass

Here is the web address for these folks. I see that they have a Newell in their RV ad and appear to make a quality product.

As someone who was in the glass business for a number of years I can tell you that special care must be used in making and installing insulating glass in anything that moves be it a sliding panel of a patio door, a boat, or a motorcoach. If proper sealants are used along with neoprene setting blocks and and blocking you can expect many years of trouble free use in the above. These people appear to know what they are doing.

http://www.motionwindows.com/custom-...n-vehicles.php
Old 03-28-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
encantotom

i put all new peninsula windows in my coach and they are wonderful. i did the install myself (meaning me, my wife, my adult children). they sent me a sample radius corner. i did on a long trip, stop by their facility in the northwest and they were very nice to me and i had them do a little work to correct some things for me.

they would be tricker to measure, but if you are bold enough, not a big deal. but sure would be easier to go there and have them do it. i wont mess with them again.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
my38special

Red face Window Update

Taking the advice from this forum, I contacted Motion Windows and they quickly sent me an 1800 series (dual pane) angle piece and a paper template. After laying out the cut lines on masking tape and triple-checking my calculations, I jigsaw'd the inside of my first parallelogram window. I was impressed with the construction of Newell when I found u-shaped channeling encasing the entire window opening. Leaving the horizontal pieces untouched, I shortened the vertical channels and re-riveted them into place. I then cutout the outside skin. After I get all 10 windows cutout, I will order my new windows and post an update. Thanks to all for the insight and help so far on this slightly scary project.

Those who prefer pictures to text can view my progress below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	725   Click image for larger version

Name:	During.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	726   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	727  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
folivier

Yeah, that woulda scared me! Bet that the new windows will look great.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
NewellCrazy

my38special, you have taken on a grand task. It is always nice to see someone up for a challenge as a lot of Newell owners will shy away from this sort of thing and just get out the check book. Way to go, please keep us updated on your progress as this is great.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
fulltiming

Great job. You will be surprised how much the dual-pane windows help.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #10
my38special

Smile Window Update 2

Well, it took longer than I'd hoped, but I've now cut out all 10 of my windows. In addition to making all my parallelogram windows into larger rectangular windows, I also took the opportunity to enlarge and center my rectangular kitchen, door and bathroom windows. In truth, I believe this job is only for those people known to be both very mechanical and exacting. I ordered the windows yesterday and must now wait, with plastic over the window openings, until my new dual-pane windows arrive. Apparently, I could be waiting for about 6 weeks. For you curious types, I'll post my final results in about 2 months after my windows arrive and I find time to install them all. I expect it to look fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kitchen Before.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen After.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	755  
Old 06-04-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
Neweller

Who knows the first year of dual pane windows on a Newell?

By the way my38special, you are making some great progress. I have done a fair share of window projects over the years and admire your ability to make it happen. Hopefully others will be brave enough to go it as you are. I have to believe between those that have or are gaining experience with this sort of thing, it will open up many more possibilities for others with like aspirations. I will gladly help anyone near me in Colorado or if I'm on the road in your area be glad to stop by and give a hand.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:57 AM   #12
fulltiming

Great question Ken!! I know that the Series 2000 (started model year 1990) had dual pane windows, at least as an option. Most Newells I have seen after about 1991 had the dual pane windows throughout (windshield obviously the exception).

This is a thread I will follow closely to gather more data.

OK, Classic owners, who has the oldest coach will FACTORY dual pane windows!!
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
Bill & Sonja

Our 87 has all dual pane penninsula windows. They are original as far as I know and all in good condition.
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
fulltiming

Great, thanks Bill. How about pre '87 Newell owners?? Let's see how far back we can go.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 11-08-2010, 03:28 AM   #15
charlesb

Default Windows

What happen with the windows?
charlesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
my38special

Default Life Happens...

To any who may be curious, yes, I'm still working on my bus; albeit at a snail's pace. Life, work, project expansion and my pickiness have collectively kept me from making quick headway. Well, enough with the excuses, I now have the bathroom and kitchen windows installed. As you can see, I've gutted the kitchen cupboards (new ones are on their way) and replaced the formica on the kitchen wall. I have found that the new Motion Windows are very close to my submitted measurements. This is definite credit to the manufacturer; however, I didn't realize that the window openings, which I cut, must be oversize enough to allow for the "z" design of internal window rings. This meant I had to very carefully router out a 3/16" deep x 1/4" wide groove all around the window opening. I also opted to order thicker foam gasket for the outside window flange due to the 1/16" ridges which are on the external body panels of vintage Newells. I wanted to be 100% sure that there will be no leaks. Overall, I'm pleased with how the first two windows went in. Now I just need to keep up the progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inside - Kitchen.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking Forward.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oblique - Kitchen.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	969  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #17
my38special

Default Mini-update

After installing the first 3 small windows (kitchen, door, bathroom), I've now trial fit and routered out around the opening of the remaining 6 larger windows. Despite all my earlier measuring efforts, I also had to trim one window cut-out (co-pilot) when I determined that the opening wasn't quite square and, therefore, wouldn't accept the new window. I'm now just finishing off wall preps (will be wallpapering) before I install the remaining windows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Routered window openings.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	993  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
my38special

Default All windows installed!

Well, like most projects, it took a lot longer than expected, but I've finally installed all the windows. As you might notice, I put T-sliders in all four corners for ventilation. The rest of the windows are all solid glass, to maximize visibility. While doing the project, I kept uncovering "little" things that I should fix. Ultimately, I replaced some plywood flooring, where there was water damage and I opted to wallpaper all the outside walls. The wallpaper is an industrial grade 52" wide thick style wallpaper. By carefully starting at the right spots, I was able to ensure all seams ended up within window openings. This of course minimized the overall amount of seam length. Additionally, I'm in the process of replacing all the electrical plug-ins and switches with colour coordinated models. Now onto replacing all the base cabinets...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Co-Pilot outside.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Livingroom (Right).jpg
Views:	265
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co-Pilot inside.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Livingroom (Right - I).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom (Left).jpg
Views:	270
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1023  

Old 04-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #19
The Newell

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. I'm just tossed on the looks. I really like the angled windows too and thought about going with larger angled dual-pane tinted windows.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
jmacstack

My 87 does not have double pane windows nor are they Peninsulas! Bill are you sure yours are original? Jennifer

1987 Newell, 40ft #143
DD 8V92 Silver
2010 Cannondale Tandem
No Name Tandem Mtn Bike
1973 Triumph GT6
2012 AWD 4-door Mini-Cooper
3 Ford Trucks
Just another fanatical motorhead
jmacstack is offline   Reply With Quote