Motorcoach License Requirements? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2002, 02:34 AM   #1
Colby Phillips

Default Motorcoach License Requirements?

WHAT KIND OF LICENSE IS REQUIRED TO DRIVE A COACH, (I.E. FOR MY SELF OR FOR SOMEONE ELSE).

THANKS

Colby Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 04:43 PM   #2
TechTalk

Typically, an ordinary motor vehicle driver's license is all that is required. A couple of exceptions we are aware of: California's new regulations extending the legal length limit to 45 feet has some special requirements for an endorsement allowing the operation of vehicles in excess of 40 feet. This requirement extends only to operators carrying California motor vehicle licenses. Out-of-state drivers can operate coaches up to 45 feet in California without special licensing. In addition, in all states, if a coach is being operated commercially, such as a corporate hospitality coach, a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) may be required. However, under most circumstances, a valid basic operator's license is all that is required. In addition, we have never seen the CDL requirement enforced. Attempts to require additional special licensing have been consistently defeated based primarily upon the excellent safety statistics for large coaches, with much lower accident and fatality rates than passenger cars. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Old 03-29-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
John Clark

If you are a Texas resident you will need a Class B non-CDL (over 26000 lbs). It will require a short drive and an RV related written test (plus $24) The examiner is checking to see that you can handle a 40' vehicle, without climbing onto sidewalks and backing into buildings.
John Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
larrynjeri

Default Ca DMV

Dito for Ca. We have to take the class B,C and M1 or motorcycle at the same time. My driving test lasted about 40 minutes, my wife just had to back into a spot with two red cones. I know the CHP has checked some of the 45's pulling stackers,so far I havnen't been stopped.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
chockwald

larrynjeri......my rig is only 36', so I'm assuming the test is for 40' plus rigs, right?

Clarke
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
fulltiming

You are correct Clarke. In California, regardless of the weight, a housecar (motorhome) can be privately operated with a standard auto drivers license as long as it is NOT over 40' in length.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
larrynjeri

Chockwald, I didn't think about the length. Leaving Ca to go to Indy, we were pulling our stacker, the CHP at Flying J asked how long the unit was, I told the truth, he laughed said have nice trip and be safe. How cool. Maybe we can meet in Redlands for lunch, there are more Newelles in your area, we live in Hemet.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 AM   #8
fulltiming

Larry, you are fortunate. The CHP will at times ticket for exceeding the 65' combined length in California. Many do it 'all the time', but even towing a Suburban behind a 45'er is illegal in California and a number of other states since the overall length exceeds the 65' limit.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote