Fuel filter life span - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Cheri Smith

Default Fuel filter life span

Are there any way to install an indicator to determine when filters are reaching the end of their life span.

Cheri Smith

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Newell Attack

unless you have a "fuel filter" warning light, the only way I know is trial & error.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
folivier

You can add a vacuum gauge, not sure of the readings but it will change as the filter gets clogged.
How about it Steve?
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
prairieschooner

Yes RACOR has a Fuel Filter with a Vacuum Gauge. The Vacuum Gauge will indicate a Clogged Filter. On Yachts another option would be a Second Filter with a Bypass Valve to continue on your way, Not sure why we don't use it........I may be adding something like this.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
TheCarabiners

I have the owners manuals to be fairly accurate on replacement miles. You will know if you go too far because your engine will not perform the same. More smoke, loss of power, etc. We carry replacement filters with us at all times. If I do go too long and we are not near a parts shop...no problem. I don't make a habit out of it, but if I must change it, I stop at a Walmart. They have a big lot and I can change it and not be shut down too long. I always carry a 1 gallon gas can in the coach. I go in and buy a gallon of water. I pour the water in a pitcher, quart jars, drinking glass, if it is distilled...our batteries, or just pour it out. It costs 89cents! Then I cut the top open, but still leave the handle. Now I have a carry bucket for the fuel that leaks and the old filter. For 1 more dollar, I can buy a roll of paper towels to soak up the fuel. If I'm at a Supercenter, I can get a gallon of diesel to fill the filter before putting it on. In just minutes I have a new filter, on my way, and nobody even noticed me.

Just a tip that works for me.
Steve
TheCarabiners is offline   Reply With Quote