Tech Talk Archives 7 - Page 4 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #61
Neweller

A
792 9/23/2002 7:24:33 PM 9/28/2002 John Leuenberger jeleuen@attglobal.net Shocks for a '78 To John Clark and/or Harry Wuner, ref 9 month old msg about shocks. Have '82 36 foot with 6V92TA. Pls advise where can obtain Koni shocks and the part number. Thank you.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #62
Neweller

A
793 9/24/2002 10:19:35 PM 9/28/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Overheating/engine smoke Sorry to hear about your troubles. Normal operating temperatures for the 92 series engine are; water- 170 to 195 with 210 max and 215 engine shutdown and engine oil 200 to 250. I whole heartedly agree with the Newell tech staff except for their CH-4 recommendation. Detroit Diesel recommends a two stroke oil for their 92 series and I have had good luck with Chevron Delo 100 40 wt. and Shell Rotella wt. Both oils meet the DD two stroke requirements with the delo 100 having a better/lower ash content. As to the white smoke; generally speaking, at normal operating temps (160+): White smoke = misfiring cylinders($) or a bypass blower valve is stuck open. Blue smoke = lubricating oil being burned (worn rings, turbo bearings etc.) Black or gray = incomplete fuel combustion (restricted air filter or muffler, lugging the engine, defective throttle delay, high altitude, restricted liner ports, improper injector timing, jack rabbit starts etc.) One quick way to check the health of a 92 series is to let it sit overnight (cold soak for 24 hours at an OAT of +40 farenheit) and then have someone start it while you watch the exhaust. It should stop smoking in a couple of seconds, the quicker the better. Also be advised it takes a lot washing and work to get 'most' of the old oil and trash out of a rear mounted Newell radiator (they aren't kidding about using a drop light). If the radiator fins are clean, your temperature gauge is accurate, the thermostat is good, your pressure cap is working, the hoses are not restricted, your belts are tight, the water pump is ok, and you performed a first rate cooling system flush and your temps still remain high, it's probably time to pull the radiator. I recommend taking the radiator to an industrial radiator shop capable of submerging the entire radiator in a 'hot' tank, followed by a flow and pressure test. If you need to replace it, get a bigger core while you are at it. If you want to remove it yourself,e-mail me and I will explain how my wife and I recently did it using the air leveling system, FRS radios and landscape timbers ( I lost a fuel line in Sallisaw OK, and no one had the time, space or knowledge to quickly repair it). I also highly recommend you install some hardware cloth between the frame to keep errant stones being picked up by the fan and propelled into the radiator fins.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #63
Neweller

A
794 9/25/2002 3:13:20 PM 9/28/2002 Bill Stuart carybailey@msn.com 1974 Newell Coach 33' looking for R140 or 145 rearend bearing hub (509)468-6782 Feel free to call collect or leave a message and we will return your call.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #64
Neweller

Q
796 9/28/2002 5:16:38 AM 9/28/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 1974 Newell Coach 33' looking for R140 or 145 rearend bearing hub The Newell parts department (1-888-3NEWELL) can still special order this item. However, our vendor no longer stocks this piece, so a long lead time, and the cost may not be consistent with a "20-something" year old coach. We wish you good luck in finding a "used piece" in good condition.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #65
Neweller

A
797 9/28/2002 5:28:32 AM 9/28/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Preowned Newells, through 1992 In response to recent requests, TechTalk will post basic, short "for sale" messages for preowned Newells 1992 and older. Click on this thread so that all for sale messages will display in one location. We will leave the messages on the board for the longer of 60 days or until we are advised by the owner to remove. Please use the following format:

Year, Length, Price, Phone number.

Further descriptions can be done by email and telephone between interested parties. We request that dealer listings be so identified.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #66
Neweller

Q
799 9/29/2002 6:41:24 AM 9/29/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Brake Noise In Reverse The message thread, "Door Jaming," contained some comments about brake noise and shudder while backing up. This is a common condition for Newells and other heavy vehicles equipped with Rockwell/Meritor drum brakes on the steer axle. The Newell service department adds their comments to this issue, as follows: The brakes on the front side of the wheel are located on a cam and are held in position with a spring. When the brakes are applied in reverse, the cam rotates slightly, pulls the shoes up, and the brakes chatter, sometimes loudly. However, this is a normal condition and not a defect which can be corrected.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #67
Neweller

Q
800 10/2/2002 3:14:54 PM 10/3/2002 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net Overheating/engine smoke After all the talk about smoke, I have to ask the question.
80 model, 3208 Cat engine, I always start and let the engine idle for 10 to 20 min. before putting the unit in motion. On first application of full power, I always get a little smoke (white) which diminshes, and after first 1/2 mile goes away? Water temp running at 65-70 165-200 degrees, depending on grade. Please tell me this is normal

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #68
Neweller

A
801 10/2/2002 3:41:50 PM 10/3/2002 William O. Meyers meyerswo@psns.navy.mil Pre-Owned Newell Coach The only way I can purchase my dream (1989 Newell) is by selling my baby: 1968 30' $50K firm 360-792-1784, Thanks!

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #69
Neweller

A
802 10/2/2002 4:09:13 PM 10/3/2002 Norah Brennan Nbrenora@cs.com carpet repacement to tile Please cancel my question regarding carpet replacement to tile, seems like no one has done it, so I will just ask a tile setter or carpet layer the questions. Thanks for this message board for Newell owners, it is wonderful.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #70
Neweller

A
803 10/2/2002 7:43:52 PM 10/3/2002 Steve Saraga s.saraga@att.net Synthetic oil's in the 8V92 First, I must admit to not being a Newell owner.

Yes, I'm sorry, I own a product built in Fort Valley, Georgia.

My coach is a 1988 with a 475 hp, 8V92 DDECI engine.

I have questions concerning synthetic oil's. I currently use Sheaffer synthetic "blend" 40 wt in my engine. I just was informed it was a blend, and not pure synthetic. I am now about due for an oil change, and was considering Mobil 1 40wt, or the Delvac 1.

I have 129,000 miles total, and approx. 40,000 on the Sheaffer oil.

Anbody have some thoughts for a "different" brand coach owner?

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #71
Neweller

Q
804 10/2/2002 9:51:15 PM 10/3/2002 Larry Kosta larry-deekosta@cox .net GPS Systems - Factory Installed Tell me about the Jotto Desk, how does it mount? Where to get one? Thanks
Larry

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #72
Neweller

A
806 10/3/2002 9:46:41 PM 10/4/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com GPS Systems - Factory Installed The Jotto desk is very similiar to what they use in police cars for mounting lap tops. The RV model is much taller and has a small floor mount it slips on to. The platform is adjustable up & down, left & right, tilt etc. I installed two mounts so I can use the lap top beside my easy chair. Call Delorme at 800 511 2459 for more info. Be sure to insist on the tall (RV) stand. Also check on their new street atlas 2003, it is dynamite.

-Bob Marley