Interior slideout question - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
encantotom

Default Interior slideout question

hi,

a curiosity question. remember i have an older non slide coach. since the bed and the couch/dinette is on the slide, and they both stick out past the slide area, do they just "slide" on the floor as they are extended and retracted? most of the bed extends beyond the slide width, so i assume it justs moves over the floor when extending? are their rollers on the bottom of the bed and dinette?

and since the slides are flush with the floor how does that work?

tom?

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
RussWhite

I'll take a shot at this since I have a two slide.

First the salon slide:
This slide has a flat floor. That is achieved by having a piece of the floor drop down to allow room for the floor that slides to move in. The portion that drops is well hidden with a carpet seam that appears to be part of the pattern. The seam at the front behind the driver's seat is just a seam in the same colored carpet and is easily seen. Part of the couch and dinette actually hand out of the moveable part of the floor and do not press on it with any significant force. You can force your fingers in between the bottom of the couch and the floor. When retracting the slide, the dropping of the floor is the first action you observe. It really is pretty cool, but I won't think so when it fails to move someday.

The bedroom slide is much more traditional with a raised floor on the sliding portion. There is a sliding mechanism under the bed. I did not see any wheels and think it is just nylon pads or such. It is heavy construction and designed to work with only one cylinder doing the pushing and pulling. The overhead fan and lights slide on their own tracks with just a tab connection behind the valance of the slide.

The hydraulic power seems to be from an electric pump in the bay under the driver's position. The previous owner told me the coach must be running for the rear slide to work, and that seems to be the case. Not sure what is up with that, but no big deal. Newell advised to always be in the travel position when operating the slides. I can tell you anything you ever want to know about how to change the pressurized air seal on the bedroom slide :-)

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
rheavn

Tom,
I'll try and answer your question as much as I can. My coach has HWH slides which are hydraulic so they may work differently than the Valid slides which are electric. On the bedroom slide the mechanism is mounted to the floor and is hidden below the bed pedestal when the slide is in or out. If you raise the bed you will note a false bottom that is about 5" above the floor. There is an access cover that allows you to gain access to the mechanism. The carpeted floor raises up by the nite stands so they can slide over the mechanism.

The salon slide mechanism is below the carpeted floor. The carpeted floor splits apart 29" when the slide opens. The 29" void is then filled with a carpeted flooring piece that raises up from below the floor. When the slide is closed the first thing that occurs is the 29" floor piece drops down and then is stored below the flooring before the slide closes.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
GORDON HUMMEL

Tom
Many many years ago when I was doing the bus conversion & thinking of putting in slides, both Valid & HWH had vidio's on the web on how their various models worked . Today, I tried finding them with no luck. I suspect they got tired of tire kickers like you & me & took them down as they only sell to OEM's. There was a guy out in Fresno back then as I recall He was the only non oem that the mfg's sold too. He may have some pictures

How's the LED's & frig coming??????????????
I just got some 5050 30/M RGB, & the white is purple..................
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
encantotom

hi gordon, i worked on the cabinet for the fridge saturday and hope to finishe it in the next couple of days. work got in the way of doing fun newell stuff for a while.

the cabinet modifications is looking really good. i just about have the drawer cut down and modified. the drawer front was held to the drawer with 3 pieces of couble sided tape and it was really really on there....

my rgb strips are the same as yours. the white has a purple tinge. thats what happens when you make white out of the three primary colors.

i took one fixture totally out of the coach and have been trying different configs. i used aluminum hvac tape to put in the fixture as a reflector and i put one strip of 3528 60 led per meter on each side (on the side, not the top) and that is the light that darlene likes the most and you essentially dont see the led's. so, still playing with that.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
GORDON HUMMEL

I found that shop in Fresno.
there are links to HWH vidio's on the various styles

http://www.morrisonsvipcoach.com/

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road