Air Dryer Changeoever - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
77newell

Default Air Dryer Changeoever

I've succeeded in changing my compressed air dryer from the Brakemaster 60 maintenance free model to a Bendix AD-9 that needs an occasional cartridge change. The intent of this change was to substantially reduce the need to drain liquids from the air tanks. I've found the tank drains hard to keep air tight and I'm trying to substantially reduce air leaks.

There are some lessons I learned along the way:
1) the compressed air system is configured differently than shown on every schematic I've seen of every air system equipment supplier. Air comes from the dryer and splits three ways; two lines go to the two brake tanks, and one line goes through a pressure protection valve and check valve to the service tank. The pressure protection valve prevents air from being supplied to the service tank until the other tanks have at least 60psi.

2) My electric compressor is teed in just in upstream of the dryer, therefore there is no absolute need for the small dryer at the discharge of that compressor. With the Brakemaster dryer there was a pressure protection valve and then a check valve in the in the line from the engine compressor. With the AD-9 neither of those are needed.

3) Grainger is a great place to get the needed brass air brake plumbing fittings. I chased all over the area to every truck part supplier and never did find what I really needed.

4) One source of air leakage I hadn't considered was backwards through the air dryer which really shouldn't happen assuming the brake tanks have fully operational check valves on the supply side. However, with the new air dryer my leakage rate from the brake tanks is substantially reduced. Depending on the vintage of the air dryer it may be possible to get an internal valve repair kit that would eliminate leakage backwards through the dryer. Even if that is a problem, check valves in the supply lines to the tanks should prevent bleed-down. However, if the valves aren't working it may be easier to repair the dryer than crawling under the coach and contorting into a pretzel to get at the check valves.

5) My 93 coach has the service tank in the front, a brake tank in the front and a brake tank near the rear axle. This was confirmed by stopping a leak in one front tank drain valve and noticing that the leakage rate of the service tank dropped dramatically.

I hope this is useful, if you need further clarification please feel free to ask, I may not be able to answer but there is no harm in asking.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
MrE

Great post, thanks for documenting the process!

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
larryweikart

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	4508Finally got the lack of air problem fixed and it turned out to be the DOT valve just like Mike at newell predicted. If you ever have to replace this valve I hope you can get to a lift or pit as it is no picnic laying on your back and reaching up in that area to replace it. It took 2 of us 5 hours to replace the system and that was not counting the time to remove it. There are 2 sensor wires at the top and they were rusted and couldn't be unscrewed. We had to cut the wires and then splice some new wire back together........almost impossible, but we finally got it done, and it aired up! What a relieve! Here's a picture of the complete assembly. The valve is the newer looking part!
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote