1972 Chauffeur - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #21
Neweller

Bob, I agree about trying to find some out of another coach. I have seen them and I will also check with a couple of bus nuts I know as they surely know where to find them or may even have some laying around.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #22
sopicki

Neweller, I would greatly appreciate any leads you can provide. I plan on driving the Coach from San Diego to Ohio starting May 7th. Perhaps if there is someone on the way.... Of course I'm probably getting the cart before the horse, the coach needs much repair and maintenance before I start concentrating on "like to have" items. We'll just see how well the Carole Ann does on the trip home. Thanks again for all of the pictures!

sopicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #23
Neweller

Bob, I checked with two of my sources today but they do not have any bunks. One told me they just build them when they need em'. I'll keep my ears and eyes peeled. I knew a guy in southern California that had a bunch of buses and a couple had really cool pull down bunks. I'll try and locate his number since he is in the know and that could right in your path heading out of Riverside.

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
chockwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopicki View Post
Neweller, those are EXACTLY what I'm looking to build. Of course what I'd really like to do is salvage a couple bunks from a remodeled or retired coach......and I'm still not sure where to attach the ceiling links and whether the roof is strong enough the way it is or whether it will need reinforcing. GREAT info, thanks for your help......and if you know where I can find some bunks.....
Hoosier Daddy has a beautiful bed and breakfast in Kimmell, Indiana where he also lives, and keeps his Newell. Be sure to stop by and say "Hi" for us. We spent one night there on his property about a year ago...Dean and his wife are great hosts! Would be great if his old bunks would fit your coach. The ceiling should be more than strong enough to hold the weight of the bunks and those sleeping in them.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
Neweller

Unfortunately the bunks in Deans coach are built-in and not the foldaway ones or that would be an easy option. Bob and Peni are seeking out "Pull Down" or "Drop Down" bunks that will fold up and away, like the ones Richard E has in his coach. Don't think Richard wants to sell or give his away though, his kids might want a place to stay when they get a break from college.

I have to agree that Dean's bed and breakfast is a wonderful looking place and anyone going through the area could make a reservation and just chill out at the B&B for a break from their coach or heck for that matter if you're just traveling through in your car and need a place to roost.

-Bob Marley
Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
sopicki

Hello again, the Carole Ann got us safely from SanDiego to Ohio in one piece. The steering is a little sloppy, the brakes need adjusted and the dash electrical is so bad we had to disconnect it. I'll be posting questions in the appropriate forums as time goes by to get information on the systems that need attention. Right now I'll be attempting to locate a few of the missing parts that I'm aware of such as the Newell Coach emblem from below the windows and the steering wheel horn cap. Thanks to everyone for their help so far!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
Neweller

So glad to hear you folks made it safely to Ohio with Carole Ann.

-Bob Marley
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #28
speedingsport

Good to hear from you all. Look forward to your posts.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #29
Randy J

Hello again! That doesnt sound to bad making it all that way.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #30
Newell Attack

Glad to hear you made it home safe. What engine is your Newell equipped with? What MPG's did you receive along your route home?

Jeff

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
sopicki

Our Newell has a 500 cubic inch Detroit turbo diesel (called a Fuel Pincher) that replaced the original 391 Ford gas engine in 1981. It's connected to an Allison 6 speed auto and a 2 speed differential. It runs beautifully although I believe the valve lash needs adjusted since the valves are pretty noisy. We got anywhere from 11 mpg to 13 mpg.....averaged 12 mpg. Way better than the 9 mpg I got with my 22' Midas Mini with a Mopar 360.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #32
sopicki

Oh, one other thing to mention. I contacted Newell to see what information they had about our coach and it would seem they have retained everything about every coach they ever built. They called me back this morning to get my address so they could send me full sized engineering drawings!......at no charge! I'm very excited to see what information they will be able to provide. I learned that ours was the 96th built.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #33
Neweller

Bob, I'm glad you brought this up. For some reason there is some misinformation that has shown up in some other posts, which on several occasions I have tried to set the record straight. Newell does have information on every coach ever built. I have posted this on multiple threads and I am confused as to where this misinformation got started in the first place. It more than likely started with someone that had it wrong and they told someone who told someone and so on..... and then a bunch of others will tell you that the information is only kept for so many years, which is not correct. I actually remember someone just posting this wrong information within the last month or so. And a couple of those whom have posted the wrong info are well respected in the Newell ownership community. I have mentioned it myself on several post throughout this forum about contacting Newell. I was actually shown by big brass the area where everything on every coach is kept and accessible on a whim.

-Bob Marley
Old 08-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
sopicki

Hello Newellers, I was thinking of posting a sort of blog here as we refit the Carole Ann. I've been real busy with many repairs and upgrades and could post some things we've done on the yahoo rvrepair forum but I'd rather do it here. So far I've adjusted some very noisy rocker arms on the Detroit, removed asbestos from the bottom of the doghouse, rewired just about everything under the dash, repainted the LP tank and compartment, repaired and repainted the water pump compartment....well, I could go on and on. I tried to post pictures to the gallery but got the e-mail back. I could track my progress here but would this be better in the General Luxury Coach section or maybe under some other topic? Let me know and I'll start posting my progress and plans. Although I've restored a 1973 Dodge Midas Mini, this motorhome has presented a whole new set of challenges and some of you may be able to help me avoid some pitfalls. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #35
Neweller

Bob, sounds like things are coming along on Carole Ann, very nice to hear. With regards to posting about your repairs and upgrades along with pictures, I and many others will gladly help you get more acquainted with how the board actually operates especially with pictures. I'm sure you will notice throughout the forum there will be many posts that are related to a topics category while others will be a mixed bag that once started on a particular topic. Some folks prefer to have all that is related to a particular topic to stay in that thread or subject category, while others maybe don't care one way or the other. The advantage to staying in a category by subject matter really helps with search results, especially when one does not understand how to use the advanced search option.

I main idea here is to keep a subject as much as possible in the category of concern etc..., but if you prefer to keep all the posts related to Carole Ann together, we can figure out that as an option too. The gallery is supposed to be for your show off pictures of the coach with its most glamorous shots. I'm ready to help you however I can and I know of others who will too. So, let's figure out how to best share your wonderful progress with others. You are on the right track here.......

First off, do you know how to post pictures here in a forum thread???

-Bob Marley
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #36
NewellCrazy

Hi Bob,

Once you get the hang of uploading pictures it is simple. Let us know if you need any assistance. How long did the rewiring process take? How are all your repairs coming?

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #37
rellick

Hi Bob, glad to hear from you again. It sounds like you are making some progress with your vintage gem. We are all looking forward to seeing pics of your progress. I am also in deep with mine but it is coming along well.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #38
chockwald

I saw this coach on Ebay when it was for sale and was very intrigued by the separate living quarters for the chauffeur. This is one of those "one of a kind" coaches that should be preserved, and restored, just as you are doing. It sounds to me like the Carole Ann is in good hands. I look forward to seeing pictures of what you have done, and periodic updates on your progress. There are a few of us here on this forum that own Classic Newells, and we are all here for you. Let us know when we can be of assistance.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 09-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #39
sopicki

Hello Newellers, I don't know what is going on with my technology but I've probably written 4 replies to this thread over the last couple of weeks only to loose it all when I go to post it. I usually just walk away thinking I'll figure it out later. I'm having to write this on my word processor and I figure I'll cut and paste it to the thread. Anyway, we got back from 10 days in the Carole Ann at the county fair where our daughter showed her horse. The beginning of the fair was my deadline to get much of the work done to the Coach to make it....just....livable. We're nowhere near where I'd like to be but since bringing her home we installed the refrigerator that came with her purchase, installed a new microwave, a new flat screen and a new stereo. I've still got some wiring to do like the electric trumpet horns, windshield washer motor and a new cruise control. Much of the wiring that runs around the front of the coach is a mess too and that will need to be straightened out. To answer NewellCrazy's question I probably had about 50 hours in trying to determine which under-dash wires went where and then repairing them. Most of the wiring was rodent damaged or just melted from a really bad short on the old choke circuit leftover from the original gas engine. Considering that most of the original wiring has been replaced with different colored wiring, the fuse and color code tables I've been able to obtain are pretty useless. I've been making my own wiring diagrams for each circuit as I repair them. She's running great but we need new motor and transmission mounts and I need to pull all the wheels to inspect the brakes and pack the front wheel bearings. I'd still like to tightenup the steering and buy a couple of new tires too. We replaced 2 tacky rose colored swivel chairs in the back with a jack knife couch and have replaced all of the rodent contaminated carpet. We plan on reupholstering the front seats, the kitchen cushions and the 2 rear couches this winter with Turquoise sunbrella fabric. My wife has replaced all of the cabinet hardware and scrubbed the daylights out of the coach from top to bottom. Since I have been having technology problems I haven't been able to post pictures so I started a Flickr account. If you're interested in some pictures of our progress you can follow this link: rhkopicki's photosets on Flickr In some of the pictures the new carpet looks like it has a shade of purple to it but that must have something to do with the flash, it's really a pretty dark gray. I've got an electrical question too so I will be posting that in the electrical forum next. Our thanks to all of you for your encouragement and advice!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #40
chockwald

Looking good Bob! The pictures really tell the story.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles