Solar and Battery Charger Conflict? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
my38special

Default Solar and Battery Charger Conflict?

Since buying my 83, I've been slowly fixing the numerous gremlins that were dormant. Earlier, I replaced the original battery boiler with an Intelli-Power PD9180 80 amp power converter/battery charger. This unit advertises that it uses three different voltages and four different modes to keep the batteries in optimal condition. So far, this unit has been operating very well. My perceived problem is that I'm about to replace the very old, non-functioning solar panel regulator with a GoPower GP-PWM-25 and it seems to me that I may encounter a conflict. Each unit advertises various automatic power management regimes that, if they are both producing power, I'm concerned may adversely effect each other. Should I hook up the solar power regulator with an on/off toggle and only turn it on when away from shore (or engine generator) power? I would prefer not to do this because, as a side benefit, the solar regulator provides an accurate constant reading of battery condition; however, I don't want to damage any electrical components. Any thoughts or solutions within the forum?

my38special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Hmmmm, Tom is the Electrickle enguneer, but what about using big diodes to isolate the two systems from one another. Wire them so that power will flow from the charger to the battery, but not allow one the two chargers to cross talk one another. It would be EXACTLY what the common isolator used for chassis/house batteries is on a normal RV.

I learned from Tom that Newell doesn't use the common isolator, but instead ties the chassis and house together through a solenoid that energizes when you turn on the ignition. But that's a sidebar.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote