Garmin Nuvi Vs Old Fashioned Paper Map - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Brewers

Default Garmin Nuvi Vs Old Fashioned Paper Map

Now, maybe I'm just an old-fashioned, but I've never been wronged by a paper map.

I can't tell you the number of times google maps have put me out like a ball in the tall weeds. Hubby wants one of those Garmin Nuvi devices which talk to me.

Frankly, paper maps are easy, I can plan out a route with much greater ease, and I'm not worried about inability to get a signal.

Are these electronic devices really worth the cost and the worry?

Growing older is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.
Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Brewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

We use both trucker maps and a GPS. In a new city, it's really very convenient to enter an address into the GPS and have it route us there from wherever we happen to be. Do you need a GPS, of course not, but it sure is handy to have.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
MrE

You must have more up to date paper maps than I'm used to traveling with I don't rely 100% on navigation systems, but I don't want to leave home without one either. It's also nice to know that the exit coming up in 5 miles is from the far left lane, not the far right lane that I was assuming. Driving a big rig in traffic isn't very conducive to rapid lane changes.

Tell Tim to look at the Garmin dēzl, it allows you to input your height and length and it won't try to route your 11' high motor home under a 10' 6" overpass. GPS For Trucks | Garmin d?zl®

Another thing would be to make sure you get the lifetime map updates, the Kenwood navigation system that I had in my car was $450 just for an updated DVD.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

MrE makes a good point. One of the principal advantages of a good GPS is that it shows you which lane to be in before you get there. No paper map can do that. Try traveling through San Francisco, LA, or any other major city just using a paper map and you will be convinced to have a GPS.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Gary&Terry

I use MS streets and Maps and a CB If lost I've never found a time when the CB and Truckers couldn't assist me, or at least get me to a known location.

Gary & Terry Morgan

Any RVing action is good action!

Deerfield Beach,FL
Gary&Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Lou Placentia

I use both silicon, (Electronic) maps. There is something about a paper map that lets me see a "Big Picture" that I can't fit on the computer screen, often this leads to good information I'd otherwise miss.

On the other hand... Since I'm the only driver, and wife refuses to learn things like map reading, I have to do it all, and I can find myself on the computer map with a glance (Thank you Garmin) which I can not do on the other.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
GringoPhil

The problem with paper maps is that occasionally somebody has to get out & shake a tree while the other person watches the map to see where you are.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Newell Attack

DW is our navigator and we rely primarily on the Street Atlas and a GPS .

One big advantage in my mind in that the mapping program can usually tell us which lane to be in when getting on and sometimes off a freeway.

Knowing that a few miles or even blocks ahead is really nice when there is traffic and safely changing lanes can take a while.

She can also do a search and find rest stops. She may also do a search for RV parks that are close to the road we are on. Then she checks them against the Passport America and or Trailer Life book to get an idea of what they are like.

Regular maps don't do any of those things very well, at least in my experience.

Jeff

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote