Tech Talk Archives 1 - Page 9 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #161
Neweller

252 2/15/2001 1:52:06 PM 2/26/2001 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Air Leaks If your coach has the MAC valves (6 in front & 6 in back) as a part of the leveling system air can leak out the top of the valve around the manual operate (push & lock) plunger. Or a valve might not close all the way due to a broken manual operate shaft (I had one) or grit inside the solenoid might prevent it from fully retracting (I also found grit in several valves in the engine compartment). I rebuilt all my leaking valves with a rebuild kits available from MAC distributors at about $10.00 each. Most valves can be rebuilt without taking them out of the vehicle, just loosen them from their mounting. On some I had to remove one air hose to get access to the valve. Or MAC will rebuild your valves for about half the price of a new valve. I bought one new valve ($40.00)so I could take it apart and study the inside. I suppose a leaking ride height valve could ccause air to leave one (or more) air bags.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #162
Neweller

A
253 2/15/2001 2:15:33 PM 2/26/2001 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Electric Heaters The Square D heaters on my 1984 have a heat sensitive safety switch that disconnects the power if the fan motor is not working to keep air flowing through the unit (they get hot and stop). The one in the water bay evidentally stopped when the coach was parked in freezing weather causing the pipes to freeze for a former owner. I found that bathroom vent fan motors at Home Base(Depot)have the same footprint as the original Square D fan motors. I put a 70 CFM vent fan motor (less than $20.00)in one of my units Square D units (had to use spacers to get clearance)and the blower seems to spin faster than the other SD operating units. The repaired unit fit into the original case. Maybe the original blower motors are 50 CFM. These electric heaters require periodic cleaning and the blower bearings need a drop or two of oil. The service interval depends on how dusty the environment is where the coach is used with the heaters running.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #163
Neweller

A
254 2/16/2001 11:51:07 AM 2/26/2001 Tuga Gaidry tuga@cajun.net Sanitron I have been using Clorox to eliminate odors in my holding tank for about 10 years - no problems - no fuss - inexpensive. Immediately after dumping, just pour a quart of Clorox in the toilet and flush. The chlorine kills the bacteria; no more odors!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #164
Neweller

A
255 2/16/2001 3:53:47 PM 2/26/2001 Carl Tesch teschc@lati/tec/sd/us vaccuum venturi assembly I am an instructor in a Diesel Technical school. We are working on a Newell Motor Home which belongs to the Governor of South Dakota. We have all the information we need to work on the brakes, engine, gen set, etc. ; but very little technical information on Newell itself.
I am trying to repair a constant air leak from the exhaust port of the vaccuum venturi assembly which I think supplies vaccuum to the heater/defroster blend doors. I have purchased a new venturi assembly and it acts the same as the old one. I have used a hand vaccuum pump to supply vaccuum to the "S" port but this still does not close the valve. Any suggestions? Can you tell me how this device is supposed to work?
thanks for your time and attention.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #165
Neweller

Q
256 2/18/2001 7:51:48 PM 2/26/2001 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Oil grades I need to make sure that I understand your guidance here. I have a '78 with a Detroit 6V92TA. The engine was produce in 1980, and retrofitted to the coach. In all that I have read, especially from Detroit, the only oil to use under standard conditions is SAE 40 oil. Detroit does especially speak strongly against multi viscosity oils. If I understand you correctly, Delvac is the unique exception to this rule. With an engine of this model and age, should I switch to Delvac 1?
Last question...what about the other Delvac's, are they also appropriate, or is Delvac I the only Delvac to use in these engines?
Dick Quirk

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #166
Neweller

A
257 2/19/2001 6:20:38 PM 2/26/2001 D. Carpus DCarpus@DCarpus.com Inadequate AC - 1986 40' Featherlite Coach has been doing this for a couple of years and have had what they claim to be great success. They are using a pair of 4kw Trace inverters to do this. My concern about doing this in a 86 coach would be that the alternator is not large enough and that it would require quite a bit of cooling on the inverter(s), but this does sound like a concept worth looking in to,

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #167
Neweller

A
259 2/22/2001 12:23:44 PM 2/26/2001 HAROLD OLSEN carol.olsen@verizon.net link2000 my link2000 shows a build up of nergitive amp hrs when pluged in to proper (30 or 50 amp) supply. It also does "go to Float" after a resonaqblwe time then continues to build neg. hrs. Why?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #168
Neweller

Q
261 2/23/2001 10:47:37 PM 2/26/2001 Walter Preston wlp55@attglobal.net Electric Heaters Our 87 has Cadet heaters that have also been recalled. Are these the same as the Square D?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #169
Neweller

262 2/26/2001 7:38:46 AM 2/26/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com vaccuum venturi assembly The device you describe is a vacuum generator used on older model Newell coaches. It uses a small amount of air pressure to produce vacuum to operate the heater controls. What you are hearing under the front of the coach (just behind the front bumper) is normal as the device continually exhausts a small amount of air.

-Bob Marley