1977 Newell electrical issues - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Technical Exchange > Charging Systems, Electrical & Solar
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
rellick

Default 1977 Newell electrical issues

Hi All,
Just purchased a sweet 77 coach, on the 12v end of it the engine side doesnt seem to jive with the coach side, headlights, signals etc. want to run of of the coach side, and the alternator side doesnt want to charge the coach side, im getting 13v on the engine side and under 12v on the coach side that the headlights etc are on. just wondering if there is a schematic out there for this unit,
I think someone previous may have made a wrong connection somewhere?

rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Neweller

Hi rellick and welcome to the Luxury Coach Lifestyle! That is very cool you picked up a sweet '77 Newell. I have owned two in that era and enjoyed them both. Sounds like you definitely have a wire crossing over or possibly spiced wrong. I did have a schematic with one of prior coaches but never made any extra copies and wish I would have now to share. I know some guys do have wiring diagrams and others who are really savvy with electrical have drawn up things for themselves after doing different repairs. I know there are others that will be glad to help you out when they read your post. I have done my share of electrical but do not really enjoy.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
prairieschooner

Our older coaches with the Detroit Diesels need 2each size 8D Batteries for the Starting. If you have a Cummins or Caterpillar you should check for the required Starting Cranking Amps, but it should be similar.
The 2 8D Batteries aft are for the Engine Starting and should be tied together as one Battery Bank. The Batteries forward (at least on our '82) are for the House Bank and should not be tied together without a Battery Merge Switch.
Good Luck, the first thing that I did with our '82 was to remove any wire that did not appear to be original, it filled a trash can. I then re-wired anything that was needed and this move has proven to be a good one.
Good Luck!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
rellick

Thanks for the reply.I think I will definately be filling trash cans with wire, I have enough battery power, not sure if the alternator is up to snuff, il be checking that out as well. I had to put a jumper wire in from the 13v charging side to the lower voltage side my headlights are on to get me home. To me the charging voltage seems a bit low.
Something fishy going on with it
Old 12-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
MrE

Someone will probably correct me, but I'm pretty sure that my alternator only charges the starting batteries unless I have the 'battery merge' switch on. On my '86 there are three positions on the switch, and the solenoids will only work if there is enough voltage. One side is operated by the coach batteries and the other side is operated by the starting batteries. Hope this helps.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
rellick

That makes sense, there is a battery merge switch on the dash, doesnt seem to be connected. could be a bad solonoid, there is voltage. So with the three position switch does the center position make the batteries merge? The other two are for either battery? Personally I think the headlights should always be on the side with constant charge. When I get into the wiring it will be when I am finished.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
MrE

The center position is off, down the starter batteries activate a solenoid, up the coach batteries activate a solenoid. That way if one side is dead you can still merge.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
rellick

So in what position do they merge?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
MrE

Either up or down, providing you have enough juice to activate the solenoid. If your coach batteries are dead, you would use the starter batteries to activate the solenoid and vice versa.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740