FoodSaver a good idea? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Oreo

Default FoodSaver a good idea?

Anyone use the FoodSaver to vacuum seal? We were thinking it might be a good investment to keep pantry items fresh.
Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Leeann J

I was checking out the foodsaver that has the canisters it looks like it would come in handy.
Leeann J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
77newell

My wife has the food philosophy that you buy more food than you need, store it as long as possible and then consume it just prior to it spoiling so that it isn't wasted. If the Foodsaver really does keep food from spoiling I'll end up starving to death while carting around a constantly increasing inventory of food.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
JT.Booth

If it isn't a big bulky guy it wouldn't be to bad. But some of those foodsavers I have seen are kind of big.
JT.Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
newell89

They can be on the big side but are pretty flat. If you have enough freezer space where you can buy your meat in bulk they do keep it from getting freezer burnt.
newell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
1993Newell

A foodsaver seal a meal would be suitable for some. The wife and I have discovered that ziplock bags work great. Not just for left overs either, example: We keep lemons in a ziplock bag sealed and in the refrigerator, it locks in the moisture and they are preserved. They stay juicy, last longer then if they were just left in the fridge or in a bowl left out on the counter. I would say they last about 4 weeks! And this is without a seal a meal food saver. If you've had some lemons left in the fridge you have forgotten about then you know just leaving them out in the open or at room temps they hardened after a week. Try the zip lock baggies they work great.

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Charlotte Rosita

For those interested this FoodSaver FSFRSH0055 FreshSaver Handheld Vacuum-Sealing System is very easy to use, you can reuse the containers which is one of the reasons I bought it. I originally bought it for when I buy bulk of cheese and meat but have used it for much more. It's compact so it would be great for in the coach. Leeann if this is the one you were wanting you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
TheCarabiners

We use one for all sorts of things. Anything you want, in addition to food, will benefit from one. You can store guns, ammo, money, jewelry, pictures... It will keep the air/oxygen away and preserve almost anything that fits.
TheCarabiners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #9
Oreo

It sounds like it would be a wise investment. Thanks everyone
Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote