When exactly did Newell Coach go to the one piece windshield? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
skipgailwalters

Default When exactly did Newell Coach go to the one piece windshield?

The advantage to having a newer Newell is being able to enjoy the scenic views through a large panoramic one piece windshield. Views are somewhat more restricted with the two piece type windshield.

If one wanted to upgrade their two piece windshield to a one piece windshield is this even possible?, and has anyone here done it or had this done?

Thanks in advance!

skipgailwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
speedingsport

Newell coach went to the one piece windshield sometime in 2006. I don't know anything about upgrading from a two piece to a one piece. You can give the Newell Service Department a call at 1-888-363-9355.

speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
tuga

Before you consider upgrading you might want to price a one piece windshield. I heard from an owner a few years ago that they were $1900 just for the glass! I will stand corrected if I am off base (my memory isn't good anymore) but that figure just stands out in my mind.

Also, I really don't think it would be interchangeable. But it might be!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
JohnC

An upgrade to a one piece windshield is not really feasible. The newer one piece windshield is glued into place, versus the older two piece 'floating' in rubber design. Newell made some significant structural modifications to the front of the coach to preclude stress cracking of such a large piece of glass.

JohnC
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
Neweller

As JohnC has stated above, the cost of such a modification sounds unrealistic. I'm sure if the factory were to do it, they would have to have their engineer put a

stamp of approval on it. Myself having knowledge of motor vehicle and truck body structure design training and knowing you would be removing the center

support you would then need to add strength elsewhere meeting any rollover requirements set by FMVSS. The design would have to account for proper rigidity as to

prevent any possibility of glass breakage due to body flexing. I'm assuming the one piece windshields Newell Coach is using are encapsulated and must be bonded in

with at least an 870 pound force per square inch polyurethane glass adhesive sealant.

Just my nickels worth,

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Gone Busing

John, Ken or anyone who might know, how does the FMVSS come into play on bus conversions when the roof are raised? I don't think my bus had anykind of safety inspection done after the converter raised the roof. Would I be responsible when I sell it to the next guy? Are RV manufacturers liable in a rollover crash the same as a bus manufacturer?

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
express1

Getting deep over 1 1/2" division bar in center!
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
skipgailwalters

Thanks all for the answers. I appreciate the response.
skipgailwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #9
Neweller

Newell went to the one-piece windshield on the P2000i series coaches, the front styling design they had done by Porsche.

As Tuga mentioned above the $1900 is pretty accurate. Honestly I don't think $1900 is that bad when you figure how big that thing is at about five feet high and about eight foot across. That is huge.

Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote