Tech Talk Archives 9 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Neweller

Default Tech Talk Archives 9

A
974 4/27/2003 12:40:11 PM 4/27/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Best oil recom. for 6V53?? Detroit Diesel recommends API class CD-II viscosity grade 40 in their Series 53 engines. For cold weather operations, they recommend:

+30 to 0 F. SAE 20,
0 to -20 F. SAE 10.

They publish a booklet that you can obtain from your local Detroit Diesel dealer that lists all of their requirements, specifications and cold weather recommendations.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Neweller

A
975 4/28/2003 6:15:12 PM 4/30/2003 Raul raulcortez@aol.com Microwave/Convection Art, Our Sharp micro/convection oven has gone out on us two times on our 1995 Newell. Both times my wife was using the oven for over an hour of heating. I found that the problem was a blown fuse. I now carry extra fuses with me. It wasn't the easiest fuse to get to, but where there's a will, there's a way. Had to remove the oven from its place and then take the cover off the back and just looked for ceramic fuses. If you don't wan't to mess with that, then you could always call a repair company like Sears. They should be able to fix it a lot cheaper than buying a new one. Good Luck.....Raul

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Neweller

A
977 4/30/2003 11:40:06 AM 5/1/2003 Art Knapp agkcpa@rvlifestyle.net Microwave/Convection Raul, Thanks for the info, but ours took the "big dump". I pulled it out and took it to a local repair shop. They said it was not worth fixing. It is now at the dump. I just need a recommendation for a replacement. What brand/model are they using for the current Newells?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Neweller

A
978 5/6/2003 12:23:44 PM 5/10/2003 Dennis Bruce trishoreyachts@attcanada.net Where to find wheel well moldings I am looking to upgrade my wheel well moldings on my 40' 1987 . My friend found aftermarket deluxe moldings for his 87 Prevost. Can anyone suggest where to find them for a Newell? Thank you.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Neweller

Q
979 5/12/2003 10:26:01 AM 5/12/2003 Dennis Wolfe dennis.wolfe@mindspring.com Newell Wiring I own coach #155, a 1987 38 footer.

The front air conditioner is not working and the 110 volt power supply shows only 6 volts at the A/C end. When I connect the A/C to an external 110 volt source the A/C works fine. The front heater on the same circuit is working fine. Checked all of the connections at the circuit breaker end - they are okay. The A/C wire must come off the heater wire at some point since they share breaker #1.

I suspect the connection that joins the A/C wire to the heater wire, but I cannot locate that spot. Can you tell me where this connection is at or where it is likely to be?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Neweller

Q
980 5/12/2003 11:25:41 AM 5/12/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Newell Wiring The problem could be in any of the three wires: power, neutral, or ground. Consider whether any accessories have been added lately, such as an awning. A screw through a wire can do some bad things. Also, some of the coaches of this and earlier vintages were equipped with switches on the dash to turn the roof A/Cs on and off using relays, typically located in the front overhead cabinet. If you cannot trace the problem easily, we suggest you consider running a new power wire to the A/C, properly protected from a breaker, of course. In fact, the break in the connection could be inside a foam-filled wall, so a new power wire may be the only practical solution.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Neweller

Q
980 5/12/2003 11:25:41 AM 5/12/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Newell Wiring The problem could be in any of the three wires: power, neutral, or ground. Consider whether any accessories have been added lately, such as an awning. A screw through a wire can do some bad things. Also, some of the coaches of this and earlier vintages were equipped with switches on the dash to turn the roof A/Cs on and off using relays, typically located in the front overhead cabinet. If you cannot trace the problem easily, we suggest you consider running a new power wire to the A/C, properly protected from a breaker, of course. In fact, the break in the connection could be inside a foam-filled wall, so a new power wire may be the only practical solution.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Neweller

Q

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Neweller

A
981 5/14/2003 10:13:53 PM 5/27/2003 Jack Fortner jackfortner@earthlink.net 1985 Newell Coach I am considering purchase of a 1985, 40ft Newell coach with a 475 Cummings and high milage. Can anyone give me a heads-up on the value or what to look for. Thanks for any help.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Neweller

Q
982 5/15/2003 3:08:41 PM 5/27/2003 John Leuenberger jeleuen@attglobal.net Engine Shut Down Heard that very rarely an engine will not respond to the "off" switch. Hasn't happened to me yet (6V92TA) but if engine does not respond to off switch on dash or rear panel, what is the procedure?? Thanx.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
Neweller

Q
983 5/19/2003 12:27:26 PM 5/27/2003 Bill Goss vdc@direcway.com 1974 cabinet hardware Anyone know of a source for cabinet latches or an
idea to replace, thanks Bill 530 284-6618

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Neweller

Q
984 5/19/2003 9:30:10 PM 5/27/2003 Tim Florio tjflorio@verizonmail.com Koni Shocks I whole hardly agree with your recommendation regarding Koni shocks. The ride on my 1976 coach was dramaticlly improved by the installation of Koni's.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Neweller

A
986 5/22/2003 2:24:59 PM 5/27/2003 Dennis Bruce trishoreyachts@attcanada.net tachometer 1987 8-92 I AM TRYING TO FIND A TACH FOR MY 1987 8-92. IT IS A STEWART WARNER . THE GAUGE WON'T SIT STILL. IT BOUNCES FROM 10- 3000, SO I AM SURE IT IS THE TACH. IF ANYONE HAS HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN, LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
Neweller

Q
987 5/22/2003 10:01:29 PM 5/27/2003 richard talbert talbe03890@aol.com turning radius Do you have the turning radius of the 94 through 97 45 ft. chassis?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Neweller

Q
988 5/28/2003 8:49:38 AM 5/28/2003 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com tachometer 1987 8-92 Many parts for the older Newells are still available from the Newell factory parts department. For queries on the availability of individual items, call Newell toll-free at 1-888-363-9355 and ask to speak to parts.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
Neweller

A
989 5/28/2003 9:25:41 AM 5/28/2003 Scott P. slpeatross@aol.com 1985 Newell Coach I would expect the asking price for a nice '85 to be in the $90k range. Mileage is not particularly important but overall condition and maintenance history are critical to the value. I wouldn't be concerned with mileage under 200k. In many respects, a high mileage Newell, driven regularly over its life, with recommended maintenance, is a much better buy than a coach that has been parked most of its life. Restoring a poorly maintained coached back to reliable condition can get very expen$ive.

Also, I suspect the engine is a 475 hp Detroit Diesel 8V92, not a Cummins. [TechTalk staff note: A few Newells were equipped with Cummins 903 engines as an option in the 1980 through 1985 time frame]

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
Neweller

A
990 5/28/2003 9:41:29 AM 5/28/2003 Scott P. slpeatross@aol.com Engine Shut Down I have a Cummins 8.3CTA (non-Newell) that occasionally wouldn't shut down. Key on, key off, keeps running. A bit unnerving the first few times it happened.

The Cummins utilizes a fuel shutoff soleniod that pushes on the shutoff lever of the fuel pump when the engine is running. Age and vibration wore a small dimple in the lever, so that even when the solenoid was deactivated, the plunger would hang up in the dimple and never shut off the fuel. The short term fix was to tap the plunger with a hammer to get it to shut down. The real fix was to weld over the dimple and grind the lever smooth again.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
Neweller

A
991 5/28/2003 11:11:26 AM 5/31/2003 John Leuenberger jeleuen@attglobal.net tachometer 1987 8-92 Tach frequently erratic on my '82 6-92 but haven't gotten around to figuring the cause as of yet. Maybe to be expected due to age.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
Neweller

A
992 5/30/2003 2:06:07 PM 5/31/2003 Tommy Klie tommy@westcliffeinc.com Wind tolerance on awnings There is a manual awning fitted for my coach,#435, that I would like to know the following: in the down position, how much of a wind tolerance can it sustain in a wind/rain storm. The awning in question is the main one over the door, about 10 feet long.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
Neweller

Q
993 5/30/2003 8:07:02 PM 5/31/2003 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net Ceiling Fan I have been trying to locate a motor that runs the celing fan in a 1980 Newell. The name plate is gone, I have been to Granger, have been told this is a 3600 rpm motor? If Newell has a source, please send me an email. If anyone has a source I would appreciate an email. This is the only item I lack in having everything working.

Thanking you in advance,

Kelly Scott

-Bob Marley