apple tv as video server and hdmi/hdcp handshaking - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
encantotom

Default apple tv as video server and hdmi/hdcp handshaking

hi,

i have a pretty elaborate video/audio system in my coach i am just finishing up. i have run all new cat5e and rg6 quad shield coax everywhere with commercial quality connectors. first a quick overview of what i can do and then my question.

i have a 32 inch samsung lcd tv in the front and a matching 19 inch in the rear and hookups for another in the bottom bay. i have matching dvd players front and back. the back one is dedicated to the rear tv and the front one is using hdmi to a hdmi amp/splitter that distributes to all tvs. the splitter works fine and passes hdcp keys just fine. i also have an inmotion sat system that is run to a video switch that goes to a channel plus 4 way splitter that distributes to all tv's as well. the switch allows me to choose from outside cable (if avail) and the sat reciever. then i have the camera system for back and both sides hooked up to a splitter and then to the front and rear tv as well. i have also ran a svga cable and mini plug stereo cable from the bedroom tv to the closet by the bed so i can hook my laptop up to the tv to play movies or games or whatever. i have done the same for the front tv, but had to use video baluns to do svga over cat5 since there was no place to run an svga cable from the top cabinents to the lower center console. it works great and now i can display my laptop on the 32" front tv as welll. i also have my front and rear tv's hooked into my new clarion car stereo that is in the front and reat of the coach so i can use that for the sound system in the coach. it sounds really cool.

i have an onkyo home theatre reciever in the front as well.

i have installed IR distribution system front, rear and bay that uses cat5e to repeat infrared remote signals to allow the front cab overhead doors to be closed and still control them from the any location there is a tv. it didnt work at first because they are very sensitive to different frequencies of light, in particular, florescents, so i made an IR passing light filter out of pieces of an antistatic silver plastic sacks a computer circuit board comes in and put it in the lense of the IR repeater and it stopped all the interference....(cheap fix).

now for my challenge. i bought an HDMI switch that has a remote control and allows you to hook up 3 different hdmi sources and send them to a single hdmi display. so, the sources (in this case a dvd player and an apple tv set up as a video server) go into the switch, then the output of the switch to the hdmi distribution splitter, then to the tv's, the dvd player worked fine, but the apple tv wouldnt pass the hdcp security keys through both the switch and splitter. i knew it would be iffy, but wanted to try it. i ended up just taking the switch out and hooking the apple tv up to the front tv (so it is only useable there now). but sure would like to get it to work. we put an addon to the apple tv to allow it to play non itunes formated movies as well.

so do any of you have any experience in this and can offer any suggestions? any help would be appreciated.

regards,

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
fulltiming

Tom, any chance that the HDMI switch and the HDMI distribution amp are running different versions of code (1.2 vs 1.3) and that is causing problems?

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
fulltiming

The problem could also be HDCP decryption support. Some of the less expensive HDMI distribution amps don't support HDCP at all and if they do it is only on the first output. There are some distribution amps that offer full HDCP support to all outputs but they are VERY PRICEY (say $800).
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
encantotom

hi michael,

my distrubtion amp passes to all output ports just fine. it is the hdmi 3 device switch that i have before the distribution amp that is only passing hdcp for the dvd. in fact, if i recall right, it wouldnt pass for the apple tv on any port, but i would have to go try again to be sure. it is on the bin list for after my trip now. having couches in are more important than the 4th movie source for the rear tv.

thanks

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote