Coach alarm?? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Brad Townsend

Default Coach alarm??

Here is one to solve. Yesterday I was away from the coach which is plugged in to shore power and for no reason A vehicle type horn started to sound steady for about 10 minutes.

The coach was locked, I never use the alarm, not sure it works because the bedroom switch does nothing. My wife unlocked the door and walked up to the drivers area and the horn slowly died down and quit.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Brad
1988 Newell

Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
HoosierDaddy

HHOOOO boy. I dont think I can solve it but here's a few thoughts. My Newells have had a 12V automobile horn that works simultaneously with the air horn..If the coach is not "aired up" it's hard to hear the 12V. I think it's on the front bulkhead just behind the front bumper. I'd start there. A critter could have chewed some wiring....

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Wally Arntzen

Hi Brad,
On my 88 coach I have a switch on the lower dash for the horn that can be set to city or air. City for the car type horn and air for the air horns. There is a lock type switch on the top of the bay door next to the front of the entrance door. There is a switch in the cabinet at the right top above of the sink and a panic switch next to the bed.
I can activate the alarm by turning the key outside if I want the alarm on when being away from the coach, or activate by fliping the switch in the cabinet above the sink if we want on when we go to bed. On mine if you flip the panic switch next to the bed the horn will start going on and off and all of the exterior lights will flash on and off with the horn.
I try mine about once a year but I really do not use it on a regular basis.
On the bottom right of the entrance door on mine there is three door switches, one for the entrance light, one for the step to go in and out and one for the alarm.
With yours also being an 88 it may be similar, however, Newell did always do the coaches the same.
Hope that is helpfull.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Brad Townsend

Thanks so far, Hoosier it may be a critter but it was in broad day light with others around but it is still a possibility. wally I have the same set up as yours but my interior switch is above the entry way in a cupboard. My bedroom switch does nothing. Iam not to concerned if the alarm does not work but more so about a noisy horn at will. Perhaps the cold as we are in NH temps have been below freezing. Time to head to AZ/Ca. (Winterhaven to be precise).

Brad
Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
HoosierDaddy

I was thinking that there may be a problem with the horn wiring that is causing a "short". A critter chewing on the wiring could be the culprit. I would also pull the horn button, steering wheel etc. and check for worn or frayed wiring.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
fulltiming

If you have a key switch on the bay door ahead of the entrance door, there is a set of relay circuits inside that bay. If working properly, the switch in the bedroom should IMMEDIATELY activate the electric horns. If the key switch is not turned on, I would suspect a short in the electric horn circuit.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 AM   #7
Wally Arntzen

Brad, My interior switch is in the cabinet above the door as well. Mine works two ways. If you leave the coach and want the alarm on you have to activate it by turning the key outside on the bay door next to the entrance door. If you do this and open the door the alarm will go off and the horn goes on and off and all of the exterior lights blink on and off at the same time. When you return to the coach after being out you have to reactivate it by turning the key off.
If you want to activate the alarm when in the coach I have to flip the switch in the upper cabinet and it does that same thing as the exterior key. If i suspect a problem in or out of the coach I can flip the switch next to the bed and tha horn will go on and off and all of the lights will blink on and off until I turn the switch next to bed off.
I suspect you may have a problem with horn like the other guys suggested.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
fulltiming

Just thought of a remote possibility. Although I have not seen one on a Newell, Blue Bird put a foot control under the carpet by the steering wheel for the horn on some of their coaches. Since I am aware of a couple of Newells with transmission retarders, it is possible that someone (possibly an old Blue Birder) requested a foot switch for the horn. I have a friend with a Wanderlodge that had his horn start blaring at an intersection for seemingly no reason. Later he discovered the foot switch. Problem solved.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Brad Townsend

Thanks guys, I'll be checking and considering all of the above soon. Sure is nice to have such a resource as what this site has to offer. Currently we are closing down the campground here in the White Mountains of NH, a National Forest campground named Dolly Copp. It has been a beautiful fall even when wet. This am we received 2 inches of snow, with the fall color it is a real treat. Heading out tomorrow destination Winterhaven CA. Via a few stops first.

Brad
Old 10-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
prairieschooner

Brad,
Let me know when you will be at Winterhaven, we will be making a few trips to Yuma this winter. Don't know how much time we will have but it would be fun to see your coach
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #11
Brad Townsend

Steve that would be great. We hope to be there the first week of Nov.

Brad
Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
zcasa

Brad, we just passed through Gorham last week. Just a quick note on the alarm, the guy that owned my coach previously, disconnected the horn from the alarm in order not to have it blowing. He kept the lights hooked up so that they flash if the coach has been violated. He thought that this would be more helpful since there are times when these kind of alarms go off when they don't need too. I have owned the coach more than 4 years and it hasn't gone off yet. I'm guessing that I never set it and I am fortunate nothing has ever happened to it.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
prairieschooner

We have reservations beginning 10/28 for 2 weeks at Yuma Lakes (a CRA Resort). I may have to leave early because I am still working (not yet retarded) to support my spending habits (toys and the likes). We will be going through Yuma again on our way to the Sea of Cortez during Thanksgiving.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #14
Brad Townsend

Thanks for the input Dave. How did you like the White Mtns? I can't remember a more colorful autumn.

Steve: We will be there just get in touch prior to.
our email is 2pilgrims@gmail.com
cell. 603-706-8311

Brad
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
prairieschooner

Sure,
prairieschooner@verizon.net
949-683-0589
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
zcasa

Brad, yes, we enjoyed the White Mountains very much. We went around Mt. Washington and did quite a few drives, hikes etc. in the area. We drove up north to the Ballet Room and had fun touring the area where 35 registered voters are the first in the nation to drop their ballets at 12:01 AM. Fun to see the history and yes, the colors have been and are so very vivid. We are in Albany, NY now, and some nice colors here too. Cold last night and tonight too. 28 degrees. Anxious to head south this Friday and further south on Tuesday.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #17
prairieschooner

David,
We were in Newport, RI and up to Camden, Maine in '02 for the Colors. Before this I really had no idea what it looked like, but WOW!! I even had to pull over to the side of the road to pick up and save some of those red or purple or orange or brown leaves truly a site to behold!
When I went back a couple of weeks later, the Trees were Baren and the Pipes were Freezing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
zcasa

Steve, yes, the price we pay to view the colors is the weather that makes that happen. This morning 28 again. It seems that every three days a storm hits. Wind, rain, predicting snow tomorrow and obviously, cloudy. Once is enough for us, but something we are glad we made the effort to do. In Colorado, we get mostly yellow leaves in the fall. So, to see these multiple colors, as you mention, in all dimensions, is a real treat. The history back here is also amazing, it would take years to see all of it. Anyways, I'm probably commenting on stuff that belongs elsewhere, but have a good day everyone.

David
Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #19
prairieschooner

David,
Just heard the weather for the East Coast...Nor'easter! Batten down the Hatches.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #20
zcasa

Thanks, Steve. The Hatches have been batten down for two weeks. This weather pattern has been difficult to deal with. Tomorrow 10-30 degrees below normal depending on where one is located back here. Crazy, insane. I'm ready for FL. Anything over 60 degrees will be fine with us. Hoping for safe travels tomorrow. Not a pleasant forecast and we need to go 300 miles through the thick of it. But, seeing Clarke's video of his trip to Austin gives me confidence that we too can get through the snowflakes etc.

David