Dometic Refrigerator not running on LP - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Twins

Default Dometic Refrigerator not running on LP

Hi, everyone! I need some advice. All of a sudden the Dometic refrigerator won't stay running on LP. It works fine on electric and will start up an run for a few minutes on gas before it shuts down and the check light on the fridge comes on. I scraped some carbon off the tip of the thermocouple today and it ran for over an hour without stopping. I know the gas is making it to the burner and the igniter is firing when called. I am suspecting the thermocouple is going bad. I am assuming that just as thermocouples in hot water heaters sometimes need replacing, that the same is true of gas fired refrigerators. Does this make sense and is this a common problem?

Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
NewellCrazy

Thermocoupler is one possibility. Have you checked the burner tube for spider webs? If Spider webs are present it may require using a small brush to remove them blowing them out with air may not work.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
prairieschooner

Agreed, check the Thermocoupler.
Look at your Manual for the Refrigerator. Mine states that you should check the Flame to make sure that it is Blue, Yellow indicates a Weak Flame and may lead to the Thermocoupler not getting Hot enough. You could make sure that the Thermocoupler is close enough to the Flame and then Tap on the Burner to help clean it temporarily.
Another way to check the Thermocoupler is to short out the wires, not sure if the Dometic uses this type or not. Like stated above the Thermocoupler is typically a potential issue since it is always in the flame in order to work.
PS The Thermocoupler also ensures that the Flame is present in order to allow the Fuel to Flow.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
Newell Attack

I agree check the thermocoupler first, If that does not fix your problem then you might need a new control board since this sounds like the problem I had with my Dometic fridge when we first purchased our Newell. First I cleaned everything...burner, flue, etc. The problem persisted but since it would light and stay lit for a few minutes it didn't seem to me to be a thermocouple. I purchased a new control board ($104 - Dinosaur board) which was very easy to install....less than 10 minutes. All problems were solved & it started working like new again.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Twins

figured I should share my results and the end conclusion was to replace thermocoupler. I will keep you all posted and let you know if it cures the problem.

Twins