Roof air addition (ducted) - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
GORDON HUMMEL

Default Roof air addition (ducted)

After my experience this summer with failures on the factory split systems, I decided to add 2 roof units as backups for the future. I had two new Carrier units & ducting for my bus project. My dash air has never worked & given the complications of the factory setup & numerous discussions on this board, I elected tto not repair it. With the lack of dry defroster air for the windshield, I figured the new roof air could be the solution
My plan was simple?
1. Mount the roof air as far forward as possible
2. Build ductwork from the new AC that would would go thru the front overhead cabinet & install outlets that could be directed to the windshield or the driver.
3. build ductworks that would go along the roof to the right side, down the wall 6 inches & then rearward in the cove area above the sofa.
Pretty simple!
When I was working on by bus, someone on that BB suggested a simple way to estimate how long a project would take. If your initial estimate is 1 week; all you do is double the 1 to 2; then change the timeframe to the next higher quanity.
1 week estimate = 2 months in reality.
I decided to do the ac project first as it is still warm in tulsa. Probably should have worked on a heater project.
The ducting I had was 2x8 which I wanted to retain. For this to work, the ceiling had to be lowered. I figured if I tapered it down toward the front I could gain the 1 1/2" of depth I needed. The plan was to have the ceiling level, side to side, where it joins the front cabinet rather than arched. 1 1/2" drop over 3 1/2 feet of ceiling taper is impossibe to detect.
All is completed except for installing the roof unit, the easiest part. Now working on the door
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	122.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	367   Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	368   Click image for larger version

Name:	125.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	369   Click image for larger version

Name:	129.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	370   Click image for larger version

Name:	133.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	371  

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
GORDON HUMMEL

Just wanted to post a few more pictures so it all makes sense
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	372   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	373   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	374   Click image for larger version

Name:	132.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	375  

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
fulltiming

I am impressed Gordon. Your vents under the front cabinet would certain be an improvement for the driver and passenger on hot days and under any circumstances would help offset the radiant heat transmitted through the windshield.

You are doing some amazing things to your coach.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
zcasa

Wow, very talented indeed. Thanks for the pictures. I doubt that I could ever try to do that. Be better for me to purchase a window air conditioner from Sears. lol.

Great job and thanks for sharing it with us.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Richard and Rhonda

Gordon,

If I remember correctly from previous posts you have or had an Eagle that you were in the process of converting. Many of us who casually follow the bus conversion forums have often wondered about the relative merits of buying and fully converting a bus versus buying a Newell and updating it to your liking. You may be the one person in the country qualified to comment.

I am just curious about your experience because on some days the challenge of converting a bus from scratch appeals to a twisted part of me, and other days I think that is absolutely insane when I see what you can buy a nice Newell for these days.

Do you mind sharing your experience on the two situations with us?
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
GORDON HUMMEL

Richard,
I think the decision boils down to 3 elements; Pride, Time & Money.
I have had many motorhomes over the last 30 years, but always felt the Newell was the finest built.
In 2003 when I started to plan for retirement & fulltiming, I studied my options.
Pride - The bus conversion wins hands down as you did it yourself your way.
Time - I had 4+ years to complete the project and all the planning was done down to 1/8"
Money - At the time Model 2000 Newells were going for $300-$400K. Late '70 & early '80's had questionable mechanicals & I prefered the look of the Eagle.
My estimate for the conversion was $65K, including the bus.

I purchased a 1989 Model 20 (96"), 6v92 allison MT748R 1100 hrs on both for $9800.

Since then I removed all the bus equipment 3-4 months, raised the roof, added 20" to the rear, new caps & new siding. I also repaired all the rust that was under the SS siding.

As the years went on, people would ask if I was going to finish it before I died. I just laughted. I did notice that I was spending more time & accomplishing less as the years went on. In Jan of 2008, I purchased by Newell for the same ammount I had planned on spending on the bus & never looked back.

Given todays economy, the matrix has changed. My Newell is probably worth <$50K & I can't give my bus project away.

Buying an older Newell is definately the best of both worlds. You get the pride of all your modifications while still having a Newell.

I had designed & built cars & homes in the past and definately had the pride of ownership, but at 63 I'm more into the reliability of the NEWELL and can do these projects at my leisure for my enjoyment and satisfaction.

Hope this comes close to answering your question.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
encantotom

Gordon, you are my kinda guy. i love it.

i hope you make your way to mesa, az this winter to spend some time. i am sure we can spend some quality time and alot of your money doing really fun stuff.

tom in singapore

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Stick Miller

Gordon - I'm impressed. It may be the fact that I spent most of last Saturday regluing the rearview mirror onto the windshield of my car that prompts me to believe that my talents lie elsewhere.

As impressed as I am with things that many of you guys do, it also makes me realize that I probably need to get a pup tent or a pop up camper, and not a large complicated bus. I have little or none of the talents many of you exhibit.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
Richard and Rhonda

Gordon

That was a great summary. Thanks
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
HoosierDaddy

Default Couldn't 've said it better myself!!!

I was shopping for a bus to convert when I found my first Newell. It met all of my basic requirements (safety, reliability etc) and I could not have duplicated it myself for what I paid for it. The upgrading I have done has been enjoyable, educational, and therapeutic! I must say that I got a lot of technical help from the former Newell web-site bulletin board and now this forum as well as my fellow "bus-nuts" I am now embarking on a new adventure with this 1993 Newell.
Lead on Gordon!!! Thank you for sharing your work with us. I have learned a lot from you guys and hope to share as much as I can from my adventures!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hpim0473.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	376   Click image for larger version

Name:	hpim0479.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	377  
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
encantotom

hi dean, i see the picture of the missing control panel in the one that is posted here.

when i get back, i will tell you how i made new ones for mine that look as good as the original. there is a posting on the site for it, but a phone description will work better.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote