handycaped update - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
madson95

Default handycaped update

my wife and I have had our right hips replaced this last year and found it hard to get up the large steps in our 85 newell. what i did (for about $4.00) was to make a small step on the large step, making twice the steps but half as high. found that 2X4 stringers on edge with 2X4 pieces on top was just 1/2 the hight of the old step and they just sit on the original step. can be just lifted off if not needed. steps cover just 1/2 the step. you go up like a duck but its cheep and it works. We use the hand hold on the step cover for support when going up or down, like a hand rail.
also she wanted a higher toilet sooo i removed the toilet cut 4 pieces of 3/4 plywood (3 in rise) to fit under the stool and replaced the toilet ( 3 in. rubber extension FOR SEWER )
i finished the 3in rise with wood trim as we have wood floors. total cost for 1/2 sheet of plywood about $15.00 think it took about 5 hr total time ( I work slow) much less of a problem than I figured. now she's happy so I am too.

whmadson
40 ft 85 newell widebody single rear ax
8v92 vw bug diesel
iowa in summer, texas in winter

madson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Always glad to hear of ingenuity.

Looking at your signature, I got a chuckle. I want to see the VW bug with an 8V92.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote