How far is far enough? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Neweller

Default How far is far enough?

Ok, this is the question to a somewhat difficult question. I know there are many of you with ideas and I would love to here them.

Getting to the point. I have been busy working on my reclaimed '78 coach that needs some TLC. I had sold it to a relative quite a while back. It was used and not abused, but neglected on some things do to lack of knowledge, time and funds. Now I own it again and don't really want to keep it, since I am looking to another Newell for a more suitable floor plan. The '78 floor plan never did it for us and I'm not going to gut it and start over. lol

I still have love for this coach, and want to make sure it gets the upgrades she needs prior to sale and hopefully even more with the next owner. The big question is, how far is far enough?

I am tending to this and that, some major and some minor. My wife just talked me into removing one of the original couches that we never liked, wanting to redo it, like pulling off the side arms, shortening the cushions etc.. The things always stuck out to much for our sorts. I have to admit, it felt good seeing it gone (what a heavy beast). I am also going to look at just replacing it for time sake etc.

Do realize I would prefer to sell this coach and not stick a ton of time and money into it. Then again I don't want to have to donate it to the next recipient. I want to make it nice enough for the next person to carry on and be willing to give me a little spare change towards our next coach.

Ken W.

Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Neweller

Just dissected the original couch. Pulled the arms off of it. Don't know if pics would matter for the project? This couch was custom made by the original owner or probably his factory. From my understanding, the original owner, owned a furniture factory up in I think Pennsylvania. Newell allowed him to order his coach without upholstery, and do it himself.

Now to determine if it's worth the effort to redo. We're thinking maybe redoing it, since we have the wheel hump, drawer and heater ducting.

Currently, the whole bottom drawer section from left to right has to come out to open it. There are 3 tracks for it to glide on and it tends to bind up when going back in. My idea is to cut the drawer front in half, recover it, leaving a seam between the two front panels. One being a dummy drawer front by the wheel hump and the other half the drawer front of the functioning drawer.

Ken W.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
jwe648

Default RE: Enough

You pose a good question, one that I consider regularly. We all know that there is really no stopping point. So you have to make yourself a prospective buyer. Does everything Work? Can I be reasonably assured that I will arrive at my destination & return? Does it fit my needs?(a Big one) Motorhomes are like a comfortable shoe.. it has to feel good & you want to put it back on.. In the rebuild of my Ole' 74' that is what I consider.. It doesn't have to be new & perfect but very functional, clean, no smells and everything works. Currently I'm redesigning the console as it used up too much of the living space.. with that I will be installing a modern DVD/CD/Radio and a Flat Screen TV which requires some modification of the overhead. Then I'm done... Everything will work and it will be functional... and someone will love it and enjoy the trip with the assurance that they will most likley arrive at their next adventure destination .. "In Newell Style"

Jimmy
Old 05-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
Wally Arntzen

I would not put any more money or time into the coach. I had a 78 that I put a ton of money intp (complete new interior including walls, couches, drivers and copilot seats that were ultra leather, marble floor, etc, etc,.) about 6 years ago and when I found an 88 I liked we could not any more that I paid for it 4 years prior.
Old coaches are still selling but you can't anything out of them when it comes to price.

Find another Newell that you like and take the beating on the 78 that are going to look for.
Sorry my friend but let er go.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
Neweller

Wally, I'm with you on this. I don't have a problem letting it go, but was thinking a little sprucing up wouldn't hurt me to much. We're going to hold back on putting money into materials, except for smaller things and mainly supply more labor, until it sells. I'll let it go pretty cheap and let someone who wants this particular type of coach get more carried away. It will still be a great deal for the handy person, who wants something like a '78 at a bargain. It has a great running 375 HP 6V92T that was upgraded once upon a time. It would still be one heck of a coach for someone.

I'll still keep folks up to date with the progress being made and I'll figure out if we are going to advertise it in the classifieds or start it a buck and let it go on ebay. Heck I might even trade it for something?

Ken W.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
Richard and Rhonda

Well, you did ask for opinions.

As others have stated, you won't get the the money or more importantly time back.

No one is going to buy a 78 that is not in a position to restore it. If you undertake part of the restoration, you may or may not do it along the lines of the next owner.

Figure what time and materials you would put in it to "spruce it up" as you say, deduct the value of that from what you think the coach would sell for. Since you WILL NOT get the money of any upgrades back, then the sale would be a wash.

Just one way of looking at it.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
chockwald

Are there pictures of your '78 in the gallery?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #8
Neweller

Richard, you may be right. I might just start winding er' down. My thinking had been, if I can't half give it away, then I may be stuck cruising it and I'm not going to do that, the way it is.

Clarke, I just realized the pics are not even in the gallery. I had thought they were there a long time ago. I will get some uploaded.

The coach is worth restoring. It has some nice upgrades, the big 12.5 Kohler with low hours, low mileage 6V92T, Allison 5spd auto. Flexsteel captains, J-lounge and a washer/dryer combo.

Needs some minor tin work, stripes re-painted, couple of windows have cracks. Recovering of the outer booth vinyl, resealed, AC upper cover, couple of DC electrical issues. This is probably the most of it.

For me to re-store it for myself, of course the list would get longer.

Ken W.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Richard and Rhonda

You might think of posting it on several of the bus conversion forums. Some of them will scoff and say its not a bus, others with any brains will realize that a great deal of the work needed to build a custom bus is already done for them.

That's the biggest crowd I know of relative to the DIY mind set.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Neweller

Good idea Richard. I use to frequent many of those sites before I discovered Newell. And I remember looking at either starting a conversion from scratch or getting an unfinished project. I remember some of the unfinished ones going for double of what I'll probably sell this coach for. And there is really no comparison in my mind now.

Ken W.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Stick Miller

Default Information?

Do you have information posted on this coach? It may be more than I could handle, but if I'm reading you right it might be more cosmetic than mechanical. Just thought I'd ask.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
Neweller

Stick, it is really mechanically sound on the major items. There are couple of minor things, that I could rectify relatively easy. I am willing to work with anyone whom has serious interest in the coach, and ready it into another person's scope of abilities. Mechanically speaking, this coach can be ready to go cross country in short order. It truly is mostly cosmetic TLC. I will be posting pics in the gallery soon. This may be one of the best deals out there. I would do a semi-restoration on her for my own use, but I'm looking at larger coaches with much more storage. I still have one kid at home for a few more years and this coach was never suitable for a larger family for fulltiming. I have thought many times about making it all electric and create quite a bit more storage. The propane tank alone takes up a ton of space and the LP heaters, venting and oven take up their share. I don't want to take the option away, unless I was keeping it for the long haul.

Ken W.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
Stick Miller

I'm interested enough to see some details. I have a great upholstery person who likes to go to our beach house - barter - and I can get other stuff done or do it myself. I'm not a great mechanic, but i might be able to learn. It is just the 2 of us and I don't see long distance trips in the near future. Mostly weekend trips and to the lake. It might not work for me, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
Neweller

Stick, this might be the ticket for you. Don't know your budget, but we can talk etc. I will take some pics and start posting them in the gallery and probably in the ncadmin profile. I just did an oil change and it has a nice engine, trans and diff. Tons of records. Have some manuals for it. Newer steer tires. I would help make sure its road ready. I just had a guy trying to give me $4500 for the 6V92 Turbo Silver Series. LOL.

Ken
Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
Neweller

I got one pic for the time being in the gallery under '78. Our staff had to add a bunch more blanks for uploading in the gallery and now that is done. I'll add a couple more pics of the inside front area tonight when I get a chance.

Ken W.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #16
prairieschooner

now that is one good looking rig!
If the colors were changed to shades of brown & burgundy it might look better!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vacation 09 389.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	743  
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #17
Neweller

Steve, if the colors were changed then it would match my toad and I would have to keep it. lol. Now if someone buys it, you can make the suggestion. It looks like the factory liked those colors in the early 80's.

Added some current interior pics today.

Ken W.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 05-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
prairieschooner

hard to improve on perfection. does the puppy come with...
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
chockwald

Actually, Ken, blue is one of my favorite colors.....I like the interior. Looks like a lot of upgrding has already been done. Did that coach come with a queen bed originally? Seems like most of the 70's Newell's I've seen have twin beds in the bedroom.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #20
Neweller

Steve for the right deal, the puppy (5 yr Jack Russell) could go with? Actually, he love's to travel. His name is "Fly Baby". He fits well on a Newell Dash and makes a great mascot. Seldom barks and doesn't cause damage.

Clarke, I agree with the blue and it is somewhat rare on the earlier Newell's. My old '76 is in the gallery and it is more along the brown's or darker earth tones of the era. Yes, the bed is original other than it had been raised by newell back in '86 I believe when a new turbo motor was installed. I think that is the reason why you probably won't find a turbo charged Detroit in a twin bed coach, do to clearance issues. Until of course they raise the whole floor up on later models. It has a very robust engine, like most of the Prevost conversions, but probably a little lighter do to the ground up design by Newell.

Ken W.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley