Fulltime RV Life Discussion - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
GSrdr

Default Fulltime RV Life Discussion

Here is a collection of thoughts regarding fulltime RV life from some motorcycle friends:

My wife and I decided to try the "transient" life style for a couple of years....now 17 years and 4 motorhomes later we are still lovin it....

The life style is definately not for everyone but it suits us just fine.
My work takes us all over the western US so if we still had our home we'd never be there anyway.

Pro's:
: If your neighbors suck....just move
: no more lawn care
: friends & relatives can't over stay their visits ( if they can find us)
: always at home where ever we are
: If the weather gets too cold just move further south
: minimal area to keep clean
: can't collect too much stuff...although I try
: attempt to be in motorcycle friendly riding climates year round

Con's :
: I'll think of something.......

__________________________________________________ __________________

I've been living in a 5th wheel RV for the last three years. While I love the freedom and low cost of living, there are a few drawbacks.

1. RV toilets are a pain to clean after dropping a few logs. A toilet sprayer is a godsend.
2. Cabinets get musty rather quick in humid weather.
3. Winter propane heat costs are expensive- even with extra space heaters.
4. Storage may be tight w/ the missus aboard.
5. RV stackable washer/dryers suck, otherewise, it's the coin laundry with clothes shredding dryers.
6. Need a hidden safe for valuables.
7. Must be proactive with mouseproofing all exterior holes. Getting a cat isn't a surefiren solution.
8. Your family friendly RV park can house just as many reprobates as a slummy mobile home park.
9. I can break into your front door and storage compartments with a flat blade screwdriver while you and the missus are out to dinner. So much for bragging about your gun collection.
10. Staying at an RV park, your neighbors will keep you up on weekend nights when you have to wake up @ 4:30am.
11. RV is hard to keep at a consistent temp with cold nights and hot days.
12. Most RV toilets have no P trap and you trailer can stink from a backed up septic field.
13. Usually have weak water pressure in a RV that makes showers almost useless.
14. RV park bath houses get filthy from weekend campers.
15. Almost all state run RV parks don't offer sewer hookups at each campsite.
16. RV stores will rape your wallet for the same items you can ourchase at Lowe's and Wal Mart.
17. The floor doesn't sway in your house, it's probably level too.
__________________________________________________ __________________________

I have been full-timing for about 3.5 years.

Cons:
-Working on your bike in the current weather/environment. I do miss having a garage.
-As stated, no thermal mass means the temp swings are more severe and require more energy($) to offset.
-Watching great places and people shrink in the rear view mirror.
-If you're single, dating can be a "challenge".

The Pros have been well-stated. I will add that you can change your domicile to a state without income tax. There are three states with no income tax that also allow the use of a mailbox as a legal residence address: FL, TX and SD. Lots of variables from here...auto reg costs & requirements, insurance costs...google and an excel worksheet will help.

Costs for rent can range from zero (USFS or BLM, parking in exchange for labor/work-camping/caretaking) to as high as you want to go. Like any other housing, RV parks & campgrounds run the gamut from high-end, exclusive "resorts" to straight ghetto w/ mobile meth labs. Right now I am paying $200/mo rent, parked on a friend's property near a small town. Most I've ever paid was $400/mo. Least was $0.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

An RV depreciates vs. real estate. Other than that there is no downside to full time RV life.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Cons:
-Working on your bike in the current weather/environment. I do miss having a garage.
-As stated, no thermal mass means the temp swings are more severe and require more energy($) to offset.
-Watching great places and people shrink in the rear view mirror.
GSrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Randy J

These are great and we agree we like the fact that we can just move when we want! Not being tied down feels good! No more lawn care? Thank God! When we sold everything we swore we wouldn't collect any more stuff. It hasn't been that long but so far we are good!

We haven't been at it long enough to have any cons.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote