Extra wire connected to converter in '82 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Capnted

Default Extra wire connected to converter in '82

I had to replace my converter for the second time. Unfortunately, it was out so long swapping the defective unit for a new one that I have forgotten how it was hooked up.

There are 2 heavy battery-terminal size cables coming into the compartment where the converter is. I hooked up one and have 12 volts to both battery banks and to the coach. What would the second cable be for? I didn't hook it up because when I touched it to the same post the first one was on, I got a pretty good spark--just enough to make me unsure of what I was doing. It wasn't yet connected to the converter, but there may have been a charge on the batteries. i think both should be hooked together to the inverter, but I don't know what it's for. It has no voltage on it. The cable disappears into the forward wall of the compartment.

Reminder to self: It's really easy to take a picture before dis-assembling!

Thanks

'83 Newell with Cummins turbo. :tongue:
(Sold)

Bought a house in Florida. :bored:
Capnted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
jwe648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnted View Post
I had to replace my converter for the second time. Unfortunately, it was out so long swapping the defective unit for a new one that I have forgotten how it was hooked up.

There are 2 heavy battery-terminal size cables coming into the compartment where the converter is. I hooked up one and have 12 volts to both battery banks and to the coach. What would the second cable be for? I didn't hook it up because when I touched it to the same post the first one was on, I got a pretty good spark--just enough to make me unsure of what I was doing. It wasn't yet connected to the converter, but there may have been a charge on the batteries. i think both should be hooked together to the inverter, but I don't know what it's for. It has no voltage on it. The cable disappears into the forward wall of the compartment.

Reminder to self: It's really easy to take a picture before dis-assembling!

Thanks
You might check to see if it was a ground connected to one of the mounting bolts..

Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
chockwald

"You might check to see if it was a ground connected to one of the mounting bolts..".....My thought exactly.

Clarke
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Capnted

Default Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockwald View Post
"You might check to see if it was a ground connected to one of the mounting bolts..".....My thought exactly.

Clarke
No--there's an obvious ground. It disappears through a hole with other wires in the forward wall of the compartment.

'83 Newell with Cummins turbo. :tongue:
(Sold)

Bought a house in Florida. :bored:
Capnted is offline   Reply With Quote