Don't sit on the fence! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
jrarriola

Default Don't sit on the fence!

I wonder how many of you think..."well next year we'll take that big trip". I've been guilty of that for several years now but this year something told me that it was time! So we set out in May and headed to San Diego (where I included some business appointments!) then up to Polson, MT then down to Pagosa Springs, CO, Santa Fe & Ruidoso, NM and then home. After a week at home we left again for Gulf Shores, AL, then headed up to Petoskey, MI with stops at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & NFL Hall of Fame on the way! We were gone about 5 months and had the most incredible trip ever, meeting some amazing people & vowing to go back to several of these places. About 6 days after returning home I had a heart attack & needed to have a quadruple bypass. My Cardiothoracic Surgeon told me before surgery that he knew he could successfully do the bypass but he was not sure if my heart would do what it needed to do as it was only pumping at 10% & needed to be at 35%. I spent 8 days in intensive care & when released to a Cardiac Rehab Facility I was fitted with a LifeVest which is a piece of gear that if I should go into sudden cardiac arrest, it will shock me and restart my heart. I will wear this 24 hours a day for 45 days & at that point if my heart is still not pumping at 35% I will need to have a defibulator implanted. In my quiet hours I think about my family & the things I want to be around to do with them. And I think about all of the great traveling we did this summer & by golly I'm going to make that same 5 month trip again!! So folks, if you are thinking that "next year" might be the time to take the trip I say TAKE IT!!

"Thank God & Newell I'm Gone"!! Life is Good!
jrarriola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
stewart33

Wow Jim! I'm glad you took that trip and had a great time and made some good memories with your loved ones. Thank you for sharing this with us. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated when you can and take care buddy!

stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
Neweller

Jim, it sounds like you took one heck of a wonderful 5 month trip. Thank you for sharing what you have. This is definitely a wake up call for anyone procrastinating on making that someday trip. A guy works hard, plays hard but sometimes doesn't get to live some of those what could have been memorable moments. Sir, I pray that you get to make many more wonderful trips like the one this year and also that you regain your great health status. It sounds like you are the right track.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
NewellCrazy

Jim,

Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us all that we should not take life for granted since no one knows what tomorrow brings. I pray that you regain your good health and can travel freely once again and share many more memorable experiences with your family for years to come.

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
Cheri Smith

Jim we appreciate you sharing with us your health status. We hope you continue to have a good road to recovery and that you'll be well and hitting the road in your coach soon again. When we go in our coach we go for a couple months at a time. We hope to take a trip for as long as 5 months like you did and with your encouraging words to take it you're right. Things like this can happen to anyone at any time. We need to make it happen sooner than later. Spending time with our family is important and I'm glad to hear during your quite time you have taken the time to reflect on what's important.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
speedingsport

Glad you took that trip, made memories to last and glad you're alive to tell us about it. Wear that lifevest and get better! Maybe we'll cross paths on one of your future trips!
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
fulltiming

Our thoughts and prayers are with you that your heart will regain its 35% level and that your future will offer you many more opportunities to travel. Great to hear that you have started the journeys.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
bigcatwally

We will be thinking about you during this time. Our prayers will be that your heart will regain strength so that you can continue to make those trips like the one you took. God Bless!

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Charlotte Rosita

Jim may you continue to be blessed to enjoy life and have many more trips with your family. Keep in touch.
Charlotte Rosita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Retired63

My wife and I are praying that you have a full recovery and that your heart will pump over 35%.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
prairieschooner

Jim,
I have to tell you that your story brought a tear to my eye. My Mother is going through some heart issues now and I have to say that I have been amazed at the procedures and care that she has been able to get. I hope that you get as good if not better care and are back on the road soon.
God Bless, I am looking forward to meeting up with you in San Diego when you are ready.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote