Front axle turning system bushings - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
Nasser

Default Front axle turning system bushings

Please help!

I notice that my steering wheel and front tires are shaking when I make a turn on med speed, the front of the bus is shaking horribly and shaking will stop by slowing down and re-accelerating, my tires are balance and they are new. Some of the tuning guys have told me that I need to change the front system bushings.

Is there is any bushings need to be changed? and where are they? and where can I find them?

The guy notes that I need a bushing because when he changed my air bag suspension and wanted to slide the airbag underneath the chase, he notes that the chase does not land on the top of the airbag plate equally! 1 inch different from one edge of the plate to the other.

Any comments would be super help form me
Newell 1988 3 axleClick image for larger version

Name:	airbag.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	3098

Nasser

Nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Spitz

Nasser is your guy talking about control arm bushings? Or maybe wheel hub bearings? Do you have Rockwell suspension? You need to look for anything that might be loose or have playing movement. The problem can be many different things like a bad drag link, even the brakes can cause this type of problem. I know about suspension but have not worked on a 1988 Newell.

I don't think the airbags would be the problem.

Here is a brake diagram that Sean had posted today on Rockwell http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...ce-manual.html

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
77newell

On my 77 coach I have changed all the airbags and I surprised that the upper and lower plates were typically out of line a bit and my coach never did the jiggly thing yours is. What you are experiencing is probably caused by looseness in some parts related to steering. I would suggest starting by looking at your tire wear. If the wear is consistent from side to side then the cause of your symptoms is most likely in the parts that effect both wheels. Next check out tie rod ends for "play". There should be none from the end of the arm on the steering gear all the way out to the wheels. If these are all tight, then it is either the steering gear itself (I experienced just a bit of this prior to having it overhauled) or the king pins on the axle ends are worn (this unusually produces odd tire wear).

You stated that the tire were balanced, depending on how that was done it balance may still be an issue. I had a new tire installed on the front with the balance beads and it darn near shook the front off when triggered by a small steering correction at moderate speed. It turned out the aluminum wheel was hugely out of balance and it really needed massive lead weights to correct it.

Everything I know just ain't so
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
Nasser

Thank you all for the reply! Spitz he meant the control arm bushings, but he was not expert in this, he said "maybe". Yes it is a Rockwell suspension I guess, because all the brakes and axles are Rockwell.
Nasser is offline   Reply With Quote