Basement rust repairs - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Neweller

Default Basement rust repairs

Since, I obtained my first Newell back, I have been going through things in order to prep it for sale and it looks like I will be doing some basement metal replacement. I'm in the middle of ripping out the old carpet, wood and metal sub-flooring. So far, only minor pitting on the structural 2 x 2's. I'll keep my fingers crossed and say another prayer for the rest.

Ken W.

Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Neweller

Well, I got all the metal removed from the main storage compartment and took some pics that I'll upload as soon as I replace my camera battery. I still have some more clean-up to do and I'm going to use my share of Naval Jelly level 3. I got lucky yesterday at Home Depot, since they are discontinuing the product, they were blowing it out at .99 a bottle. Don't know if all the Home Depot's are doing this? If so, maybe others can take advantage of the deal.

My neighbor, who is also a avid RVer thought I was crazy for removing all the metal and suggested I just caulk, foam and replace the wood. LOL, Oh boy, I thought. I'm sure glad he's not a Newell owner.

Ken White

Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
chockwald

Rust is like cancer.....always better to cut out the cancer.....no point in trying to arrest it! Looking forward to the pictures!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
prairieschooner

Not having seen the rust issues I am hesitant to suggest this but... Here is a product that has allot of good reviews. I have bought a kit and will be repairing some light rust in the Floor Pans of my 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery. If the Rust Damage was bad I would just replace the Floor Pans but since the damage is with smaller holes this is the application that this product is designed for;
http://www.por15.com/
This product converts the rust then coats it, although it may not be the right product for every application.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
RussWhite

I spend the winters with the nose of my coach in spitting distance of the ocean. I know a little something about rust. Here is my 2 cents worth on POR15. It is my weapon of choice for stopping rust and protecting the underlying steel. It will not however add strength or structure. So, if you have the strength you feel you need left in the steel member, if you follow directions you can prevent future rust. That's my story and my nickname is really Rusty.
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Neweller

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info the POR15. I will be doing a little research on the product. Looks like a great product. It may be worth using on the good rusty metal. I know there is nothing good about rusty metal, unless its for decor. lol. Just referring to the metal not full of pits or holes.

My structure looks pretty good, nothing to be concerned about. I do want to make sure its as good or better than factory. I can say better, because I know there has been a learning curve over the years. So; prep, prep and prep!

Ken W.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
prairieschooner

look into the fiber cloth, this will add structural integrity. This product is an Epoxy Resin, just my 2 cents worth.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote