gaz - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
gaz

Default gaz

hi to everyone
,well i got the conversion done on the newell it is now right hand drive ,as it already had a drivers door we did not have to fit a left hand door things like brakes ,lights except low beam dippinng to the left,
suspension ,engine emmissions etc all meet the same laws,stop light and indicators have to be seperate,also we cannot use the gas tank we have use smaller 9 kilo about 20 lbs, and change off, on taps ,the house water system was burst in several places which ment replumbing pretty much the whole coach ,the shower cubicle was rotten from years of water leaks so that ment a complete freshen up so all that is good now,as most of interior was in pretty good shape a good scrub and polish made it shine we fitted new captains chairs in ultra leather and that matched the other seating,
as the table and kitchen showed its age we replaced it with granite tops also on the gaming table and we are real pleased with the inside
while checking steering suspension i found both front wheels were cracked and wheel bearings were on the point of collapse other than that
the mechanicals are in good condition
after all that it was time for registation as i think it is the only one in austalia you can only imagine the reaction at the rego dept after 6 hours of measuring weighing aurguing i finaly got it on the road the number plate is 1980 RV
we then went for a trip last month for a month and got home yesterday 3300 kms
about 2000 miles it went realy good it has a 6V92 nonturbo and returned
10mpg
this is the first time i have tried to write some thing like this not very good
at computering
we will keep you posted in future
all the best from
gaz susie down under

gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
fulltiming

Great job on the conversion and restoration Gaz. It is heart warming to hear that someone has successfully undertaken converting a Newell to right-hand drive. I find the lighting comments interesting. On the 1990 and newer models, Newell had the turn signals, stop lights and parking lights separated in the rear with the exception of one combined tail/stop light. I rewired mine to increase the number of lights that were on for parking lights and stop lights by combining the functions of several of the lights when I changed to LED's.

You should be very proud of your accomplishments. You post is extremely readable. Please continue to post as you make additional modifications and upgrades or just continue to enjoy driving your Newell.

If there is anything we can do in the way of providing information please let us know. You have now become the expert on right-hand drive conversions.

Great job. Thanks for the post!!

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

Bravo bravo,

Great job, please send pics if you have them.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #4
encantotom

mindblowingly awesome! i cant wait to see some pictures.

keep posting!

thanks

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote