Engine Temperature sensors on 8v92 DDEC2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
encantotom

Default Engine Temperature sensors on 8v92 DDEC2

hi all,

i run the vmspc engine monitoring system using my laptop from silverleaf like many of you do. the engine temp i use has been that one rather than the dash temp gauge.

when under no load, i run 180 degrees on the vmspc and very close to that on the dash analog gauge. at higher temps, the difference grows significantly to be 10-20 degrees or more higher on the dash gauge than the vmspc.

the graduations on the dash gauge are very big and not linear. so quite hard to read.

the engine warning light on the dash i had heard is supposed to come on at 215 degrees.

i never let it get any higher than 205 on the vmspc going up a steep grade. at that temp the dash gauge shows something much much higher.

i am having some engine work done and today while at the bus shop, the mechanic showed me the temp sender for the mechanical gauge on the dash is on the passenger side head. the DDEC2 sensor is on the head on the drivers side near the water pump. he says the temp can be 10 degrees different between sides.

if the engine temp warning is off of the ddec2 and from the cooler side, something doesnt feel right.

i just want to make sure i dont overheat the engine by following the DDEC2 rather than the mechanical gauge, but on the other hand, i wouldnt be able to hardly drive it if i followed the dash gauge....

what words of wisdom do you 8v92 gearheads have here?

when he gets all the work done i am having done, he said we will use a IR gun to check it all out, but i will have to drive towards the mountains to get that done...

please enlighten me oh great ones....

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
fulltiming

Tom, I agree that having the DDEC temperature probe at a point closer to the water pump isn't the best situation. I know that above about 195-200 degrees on the VMSpc, temperature increases on the dash gauge are several times as fast as on the VMSpc. I certainly hope there isn't a difference of 15+ degrees between to two sides

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:38 AM   #3
encantotom

my solution to this is to put a new digital temp gauge by cyberdyne in and put a sendor on each side of the engine. then a switch on the dash to switch between senders. that was i get an accurate temp reading and the ability to look at both sides rather than just the passenger side for the dash gauge.

i will post how it goes.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote