Having an issue with my 8v92 Detroit Diesel Engine Overheating - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Rudra

Default Having an issue with my 8v92 Detroit Diesel Engine Overheating

I am having a problem with my engine overheating and the transmission information?

The tempurature is running near the 200 degree mark. I have heard of running a line from the water tank to the radiator and given it a blast to cool down the engine. Anyone done this or can you tell me how to do this or anything relating to it?

Thanks!

Brake Buddy
Rudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
fulltiming

Give us a few details as to the conditions when it is overheating (outside temperature, operating speed, grade, etc). The thermostat should open about 180 degrees. In hot weather, on uphill grades 200 is not unusual. In cool weather, on level roads, you should be running 180-185. If you are running 200 in cool weather on level roads, you have a problem that needs to be addressed. Either a stuck thermostat, a plugged radiator, a very dirty radiator, low coolant, or a faulty dash temperature gauge, or multiples of these. If you have a DDEC readout, go by it rather than the dash temperature gauge. If the transmission temperature is running 200 other than very hot days up steep inclines something is definitely amiss, although 200 degrees will not harm the engine or the transmission (200 is the top of the normal operating range for the HT 740).

Additional information, including the last time the radiator was steam washed would be helpful.

Now as to your question about radiator misters, in hot weather they can and do work on grades. The easiest way to get the water is from your fresh water tank BUT it will have minerals in it that will form scale on the radiator fins so it is best to use a separate tank with its own pump and run distilled water. You will need a tank that holds several gallons of water, a water pump, tubing from the tank to the pump to the radiator, metal lines that can be run inside the fan shroud and spray heads to mist the water over the inside of the radiator. Run a wire to the instrument panel (if you have any extra wires from the front panel to the rear electrical panel in the engine compartment you are in luck) to use when the temperature hits about 195.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote