Pacific Coast Hwy - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
'TIL MONDAY

Default Pacific Coast Hwy

I’m planning a trip up the Northern California Coast and want to follow the coast to the Oregon-Washington state line. I’ll be headed north on the I-5 and plan to head over to the 101 by way of the 580 to the 880 in the San Francisco Bay area. Is this a bad idea? I would appreciate any input.

Once I’m on the 101 or 1: Can I stay on it all the way through Oregon? My rig is not huge but 36’ plus a dinghy is not really small either. Any parts I should avoid?

Thanks,

1974 Newell
'TIL MONDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
fulltiming

You should be OK with a 36'. I have taken that trip in a 35' with a toad without incident. Some beautiful scenery. If you are in a coach over 40' part of Coast Highway is not a legal road to travel and can be a little tight.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
chockwald

If you eventually want to end up northbound on Highway 1 (PCH) I would recommend not doing that until you are near Petaluma....head over to Highway 1 on Valley Ford Road to Bodega Bay and then north.....Highway 1 between San Francisco and Bodega Bay is not driveable for any vehicle over 22'. I made the mistake a few years ago in my Class C 26' motorhome of driving this section of highway and had to go around some of the hair pin turns at 2mph and on a couple had to back up and take a different angle...what a nightmare! In a 36' motorhome it would be impossible! From Bodega Bay north it is driveable...some areas you will not get much over 25mph, but that is the speed limit in some sections. Don't try to bite off too many miles per day on Highway 1.....enjoy the scenery, and stop often. I've driven Highway 1 from Astoria, OR to the Mexican border and the only section that will not work for you is the one I just mentioned....south of Bodega Bay to San Francisco.

Enjoy!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
'TIL MONDAY

Thanks Michael, Clarke and Elaine!

I knew someone would have great advice for me on this trip. I'm not going until the last couple weeks of June but nows the time to get a plan together.

Thanks again

1974 Newell
'TIL MONDAY is offline   Reply With Quote