Tech Talk Archives 7 - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #21
Neweller

A
743 8/25/2002 4:33:19 PM 8/25/2002 Carl Jackson carlbjackson@att.net Twin to Queen Conversion Like another post about a year ago about moving from a queen to a twin bed configuration, we would like to go the other way. My wife and I have found a 1984 44-foot Newell we are seriously considering. Problem is that it has extra long twin beds installed now. What is the estimated amount of effort needed to swap out the twins for a queen? If it's possible, is it a big deal? Thanks for any and all help.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #22
Neweller

Q
744 8/25/2002 5:16:15 PM 8/25/2002 alex graham alex2839@charter.net inner pane cracking Rt rear window and Lt mid window both have developed cracked inner panes on the laminated windows. Has anyone else had this problem?

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #23
Neweller

Q
745 8/25/2002 10:53:56 PM 8/26/2002 Herman hades7469@wmconnect.com 1971 Newell Windshield Also, looking for other replacement parts for a '71 Newell with a 391 Ford and 6 speed Allison trani.?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #24
Neweller

Q
746 8/26/2002 4:32:18 AM 8/26/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 1971 Newell Windshield Newell Coach Corp. has selected parts available for older vintage Newells, including windshields for most models. To check stock, contact Gary Streeter toll free at Newell, 1-888-3NEWELL.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #25
Neweller

A
747 8/26/2002 8:18:34 PM 8/27/2002 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net Air Filter The air filter on a Newell 1980 with a Cat 250 with turbo charger, I can not determine when it was last changed? How often should they be changed? And could anyone give me a part number and name on the air filter.

Aslo, wher is a good place to aquire batteries for youe coach, and what do you ask for?

Do you need to schedule appointments at the factory for service work?

Thanking you in advance, Kelly

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #26
Neweller

Q
748 8/27/2002 12:28:04 PM 8/27/2002 Robert Fritz robert@sky4me.com 45" ? This maybe is a strange question, but from what I know now the maximum length in most states is 40", but most Newell's produced are 45". Is it possible to get some kind of extra permit to drive the 45" trough all states ?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #27
Neweller

Q
749 8/28/2002 8:52:03 AM 8/28/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Air Filter Most of the Caterpillar 3208 engines we built had Donaldson air filters. There is no fixed interval to change filter cartridges. To determine whether the filter needs changing, remove the cartridge and inspect it. A "trouble light" is often helpful to determine how much material is on the filter element. The specific part number for ordering replacement cartridges should be stamped on the air filter cartridge. And, yes, it is best to schedule an appointment if you plan to visit the factory service department. The toll free number is 1-888-3NEWELL (1-888-363-9355).

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #28
Neweller

A
752 8/30/2002 9:29:31 AM 9/1/2002 John Leuenberger jeleuen@attglobal.net battery converter/charger Recently acquired 82 has bad house batteries. Before changing out all batteries as you recommend, would like to know cost effectiveness of upgrading convertor/charger system. Coach has a 70 amp TU 507-2 charger made by Triad. Also a Torado Gemini Model 50-128-3 device next to it. What does this do and how is it used? Who sells the newer float type chargers and what do they cost? Are chargers from Xantrex, Trace etc also inverters which apparently take 12V from the engine and it becomes 110V? Correct? Also are there any preferred batteries or are they all the same? Engine is a 6V92TA. Thanks.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #29
Neweller

Q
753 8/31/2002 7:43:08 PM 9/1/2002 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net Winter Operations We have just learned that we will be operating our 1980 Newell Coach during the Christmas Holidays on a trip to Texas, and returning to Arkansas. Now guys, you know how it is when you try to explain winter operations to your wife? We are relatively new to RV'ing, owned a travel trailer, but this is our first RV. This unit has heaters in the bays, and the water areas. I keep my unit hooked to shore power while at home. However, it is in a barn, non insulated, and we experience temp's in the mid teen's here in Northwest Arkansas. I am in urgent need of operational tips. Should I winterize and only be concerned about the days of the trip, or is there a way with the heaters (and other means) to be resonably assured that I will not freeze the coach up? I dread having to winterize twice.

Kelly Scott
kscott6264@netscape.net

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #30
Neweller

Q
754 9/2/2002 6:06:47 AM 9/2/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com 45" ? Actually, the maximum length for a bus in most states is 45'. Rules vary from state to state as to driver's licenses requirements, but if you comply with the license requirements of your state, most states will recognize it. California has been the exception, but recently enacted legislation allowing 40'+ RV's on their interstates and major highway routes.

In my many years of RV'ing and criss crossing North America, I have found courtesy and consideration to be the key in staying out of trouble and having an enjoyable 'adventure'.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #31
Neweller

A
755 9/2/2002 6:26:44 AM 9/2/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Winter Operations Your 1980 Newell is a well insulated unit. I owned a '79 and spent a winter in Oklahoma City without winterizing the bus. Set your bay heaters at their minimum setting and keep the heat on inside your coach and you should have no problems. Be sure to check your engine and genset for proper anti-freeze protection. Be sure to check on your coach now and then, especially when the outside temperatures plummet, to insure shore power is still present, and that bay and the interior heat is still working. I have found keeping my water tank full and the water heater on acts as a heat reservoir when the outside temperatures plummet. I also recommend you leave the off engine heat on in the bay while traveling in below freezing temps. Good luck and enjoy!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #32
Neweller

A
756 9/2/2002 7:37:37 AM 9/2/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com battery converter/charger I recommend you upgrade to a three stage charger/inverter (bulk-accept-float)and a good monitor/manager. Xantrex owns most of the inverter/charger market and have a number of web pages filled with information (heartinterface.com, Xantrex, Trace, statpower, etc. I prefer their Statpower inverter-charger combination, but it's a bit pricey and have found modified sine wave to be acceptable. I have tried various name brand and membership warehouse batteries with limited success. My favorite battery is Rolls/Surrrete and I regret the money I have thrown away on "cheap" batteries. Please trust me, when I say combination marine start/deep cycle batteries from your local Walmart, Sears, Autozone etc. don't cut it. A start battery is built entirely different than a deep cycle battery. On my Newell, I have two high cranking (960cca-Napa)) batteries whose only function is to start the engine. They are attached only to the starter, have their own charger system, and are totally isolated from the house system while parked. I also have a 4 battery 920 amp house bank (Surrette-L16 equivalent)capable of running anything in the coach. Once I accidentally left the a/c thermostat on (no shore power), and found the a/c running off the batteries when I returned an hour later. My energy manager showed I had a two hours hour left of battery capacity, but needless to say I shut the a/c down right away. Rolls/Surrette has an informative web page and be sure to check their bulletins for more information. I found the best price for Surrette batteries at www.dcbattery.com. A good inverter/charger system with reliable batteries starts around a $1000, while a top of the line inverter/charger, super high capacity battery bank and solar panels can approach $10,000. Looking back on the money I have wasted on batteries, I would have started with a really good set of house batteries and made sure they were totally isolated from the start batteries when charging and starting. Good luck

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #33
Neweller

A
757 9/2/2002 2:06:08 PM 9/2/2002 Joseph Jaggard joeandmary@cox.net Pre-Owned Newell Coach I have been scrolling through old messages and would like to add my two cents in favor of allowing older coaches to be advertised for sale. Since Newell does not handle older models it would be helpful to us who are trying to sell. Mine is an 84 40' 8v92ta.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #34
Neweller

A
758 9/2/2002 2:26:03 PM 9/2/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Pre-Owned Newell Coach Joe has an interesting point. We'd like some feedback on posting "For Sale" messages on coaches, say, 10 years or more old. In other words, this year, we'd post For Sale notices on coaches up through 1992 models next year through 1993s, and so on.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #35
Neweller

A
759 9/3/2002 10:52:26 AM 9/5/2002 Joseph Jaggard joeandmary@cox.net Pre-Owned Newell Coach great idea

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #36
Neweller

A
760 9/3/2002 2:07:45 PM 9/5/2002 David Carroll keywester@aol.com Pre-Owned Newell Coach I have no interest in selling my '87 but if my circumstances (such as health)changed I would really appreciate the opportunity to list the information at a site where most of the visitors have a common interest and knowledge. Standard features should not be listed though so as to avoid descriptions of great length. Year model and length might be enough.
David Carroll

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #37
Neweller

A
761 9/3/2002 3:05:29 PM 9/5/2002 Scott P. slpeatross@aol.com Pre-Owned Newell Coach I think postings for older Newells for sale is a great idea. Interestingly, I have asked a few questions on Tech Talk about older Newells and have received several emails from Newell owners who had more information for me or had older coaches for sale. All very nice people. I'm sure there are many other people like me struggling to find out more about the older Newell coaches and establishing a fair price for them. There are just too few Newells for sale to get an education from, it would be an excellent idea to get a data base of sorts going for prospective Newell owners.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #38
Neweller

A
765 9/3/2002 5:55:01 PM 9/5/2002 Carl Jackson carlbjackson@att.net Tag Axle Paranoia!? Hello there

My wife and I will be full timing soon. We have done a ton of research on which vehicle to select and have decided finally on a Newell. We will have to start with a used model first and are now a little confused about tag axle versus non-tag axle models. Obviously (I think) the weight of the coach mandates whether a tag axle is needed.

However, I have run into some folks who maintain that either of two extremes is the 'best way to go.' One set of folks maintains that tag axles are over-rated and not worth the trouble, while others say tag axles are great for heavier coaches providing stability and weight carrying capacity.

We are looking at an '84 40 footer without a tag axle and the owner says no problems. But I notice that Newell makes 40 footers with tag axles too....

I am looking for the 'common wisdom' on justifying whether I need or don't need a tag axle. No big deal really, other than this search for tag axle knowledge has become a quest.

Thanks,

Carl Jackson

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #39
Neweller

Q
766 9/4/2002 7:28:51 AM 9/5/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Eating humble pie It is time to dine on Humble pie. It has come to my attention that I am not normal, in fact I am downright atypical. I love to dry camp. I love to attend fly-in's, car races, remote forest service and provencial campgrounds etc.. In many of these places generator operating hours are restricted or forbidden. I also love my computer, satellite TV, ice maker and chest freezer. I therefore require a power system far beyond what most 'normal' people would need. For those who prefer campgounds and resorts I recommend you stay with the current Newell setup of all 8D start batteries. For those of you with older unit's I recommend you upgrade to the Heart interface Echo charger currently being used by Newell. I also highly recommend a 2000+ inverter/charger for those units built without inverters. For those abnormal Newell owners like me, send me an E-mail and I will be glad to share my lessons learned and explain my setup. I am leaving for Las Vegas today (via the Newell factory) so my reponse may be delayed a few days depending on cell service.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #40
Neweller

Q
768 9/5/2002 1:21:08 PM 9/5/2002 Norah Brennan Nbrenora@cs.com carpet repacement to tile I would like to change some of my carpet to tile in my 1990 42 foot Newell. Has anyone done this? Is there anyone in Nevada South or North that you know of? Also need a rear panel on left side of coach that was removed at service stration. It is lowest one back side of Newell. I need someone who can put Newell back on front after my current paint job. Everyone is trying to guess what I have.

-Bob Marley