Towing Your Newell - Page 3 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #41
chockwald

Having had numerous cars towed over the years I am 100% convinced that a flat bed is the way to go. Would never have my Newell towed with a T-bar, and I don't have the clearance issues you guys with tag axles have. Even when I owned the Tioga Class C motorhome I would not let it be towed with a T-Bar. The one time I needed a tow they sent a low boy, thankfully.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #42
Summersgal

Default Frame

Quote:
Also after further looking at the picture... I'm not sure the section that is broken is actually the FRAME. It looks more like some sort of axle support or swing arm... which could happen if wheel fell into some sort of hole?

Anyone, confirm that the broken part is the coach FRAME.
It was not the main frame that broke, the piece's that broke in half support the main drive axle. There is an air bag mounted on each end of the support. Both supports were cracked in the exact same way and place. For those with this vintage coach, the crack was hidden behind one of the large U-bolts that hold the frame piece to the rear end and would be difficult to detect. Newell now checks all coach's with this setup.

Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #43
encantotom

after being towed once with the semi that pulled me on on its deck, i would agree with wally. i would never use a T-bar. could be something is different with the newer newells.

the reason i was towed is i had a cracked head. i was trying to minimize how much i had the engine running. i did raise it some.

forest, i did replumb part of the compressor compartment, but it already had the air chuck in it. it would be easy to add. it is quite handy to have. i dont have to have a long hose to top off the tires.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #44
tuga

I called Tommy Key with Newell this morning and he told me that if you are traveling a long distance the low boy wrecker is the way to go. He also said that if the coach is aired up using the wrecker compressor it should ride high enough to be towed with a T bar wrecker if that is the only wrecker available and if you only have to be towed a short distance.

I agree with you guys; the low boy wrecker is the best way to tow a Newell.

I am going to start a new thread on "ride height adjustments".
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #45
prairieschooner

I have a 120 Volts AC Electric GAST Air Compressor that is permanently mounted in the engine bay that would help get the coach leveled without the Diesel. There is a Quick Disconnect Fitting for the Air Supply and we do carry a length of Air Hose that will reach all of the Tires.
It should not be hard to install the Quick Disconnect Fitting in your Air System at the rear of the coach. The Air Hose is just a few $. Now the Air Compressor would be more $$$$$$$

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote