Roof Mounted Satellite Internet Dish Speeds - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Vantare

Default Roof Mounted Satellite Internet Dish Speeds

we are finding campground wifi to be pretty deficient in offering any sort of decent throughput. So I've started researching satellite internet. The initial setup for roof mounted auto seeking satellite dish seems expensive (over $6k for most dealers we've talked to) but the monthly $80 cost seems it would be worth the investment over time.

However, everyone we've spoken too do not seem happy with the speed, including several stating their internet speeds are somewhat faster than dial-up, no where near the cable/DSL speed you get at home. For those who actually have satellite internet, could you indicate what your typical experience is using satellite internet and any drawbacks you have identified?

Appreciate your input,

Vantare

Cannondale Slice 5 Bike

2006 Prevost Vantare’ Double Slide

Steve & Annie
Vantare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
GringoPhil

Why not use a Verizon air card like many of us? Speeds even at 3g are as good as Satellite and 4g is available in many metro areas. Using an antenna and amplifier I have been able to get a decent Verizon signal in all but two spots we camped in.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
MrE

Here is a link to a recent thread discussing Internet connections while on the road that has some good responses. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...ll-timing.html

This is of special interest to me because I telecommute, my office is where ever I can get high speed Internet and a phone connection. I currently use VOIP over the Internet for my office phone which will work anywhere in the world. A friend of my brother lives in the Provance area of France and has a VOIP phone with a San Francisco area code. Most of the people he works with think he lives in San Francisco.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
prairieschooner

Verizon Jet Pack, no installation and works well for us.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Ditto on the Verizon wi-fi.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
folivier

Got my jetpack in a few days ago, but I'm with Millenicom on Verizon and get 20GB!
Love it.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
NewellCrazy

4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi® 4510L - Verizon Jetpack

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
ccjohnson

Fran & I each have Verizon USB cards. They work great for us. I have 3G with unlimited data (can't keep unlimited if I up-grade to 4G). She uses hers while I am driving. Have had very little signal problems.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
fulltiming

Vantare, I was one of the original beta testers for the DataStorm DirectPC, later HughesNet, system. During the early 2000's unless you only needed to check emails occasionally, there was really no other option but HughesNet. I used that system for about 8 years for internet and still use the dish as my DirecTV dish when traveling. Since I have been away from HughesNet for a couple of years there could be changes BUT I was routinely getting about .9 Mbps down and about .150 Mbps up (about the same as I was getting on my 3G Verizon datacard). That is MUCH better than dial-up (typically .07 Mbps) but certainly not cable speed. I currently get between 6 and 15 Mbps down and about .8 -1 Mbps up on Time Warner Cable and just got 7-12 Mbps down and about 750 Kbps up on my 4G Verizon connection (tests using testmy.net which is more representative of real world than many of the testing sites). The BIG difference is data limits. Cable is unlimited data, Verizon you buy it in 2 GB/month increments (1GB increments if you exceed your monthly limit) with most people on a plan with 6GB/month or less. You can blow through 6GB pretty quickly with streaming video and large software downloads. HughesNet plan is based on a DAILY download amount with unlimited during the early morning hours. That amount is typically in the 350 MB/day range. If you exceed your limit, you get throttled back to about dial-up speed for 24 hours. Streaming video is NOT a good idea with that limit unless you want to do it only after midnight.

When I started with HughesNet, it was the very best option available to RVers. It is still the best and possibly only good option if you stay in isolated areas well away from interstate highways where 3G and 4G coverage don't exist. Otherwise 4G is the a better option, taking advantage of WiFi in those parks that offer decent WiFi service. Since it is not directly RV related, hopefully it will be OK to provide a link to a good site for information on mobile satellite internet Datastorm Users - The Premier Site For Mobile Satellite Internet and TV.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Viva Las Vegas JDR

I too use verizon even though they do not cover all of the country but close. Satellite will give you full coverage as long as you don't have trees. Since I still do some work for my former employer, I need daily internet coverage to their server. I was prepared to add satellite, but so far I've been OK with verizon and speeds have worked out good.