Ride Height - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
fulltiming

Default Ride Height

I had been asked by another Newell owner about setting ride height. Based on information I have been previously given by Newell, the ride height, at least on the 1990-1994 models is 12" front and rear. The proper method to measure ride height is to 1) make sure the coach is at its normal ride height, 2) place the coach on a level surface, 3) take all measurements from the ground to the bottom of the square metal tubing located just above and inside of the bottom lip on the coach, 4) measure the rear at the end of the metal tubing in front of the drive wheels on each side, 5) measure the front at the end of the metal tubing to the rear of the front wheel on each side.

Always make sure the coach is properly blocked before attempting to get under the coach. The rear ride height is adjusted loosening the clamp that holds the ride height rod to the lever arm and moving the rod which is attached to the ride height valve up or down. The ride height rod is located on the inside of the drive wheel on each side. The front ride height is a single adjustment of the rod height located in the center of the front axle. The linkage has a screw that is loosened to allow the rod to slide up or down through the fitting near the top of the ride height rod. Pushing the rod up further through the fitting will lower the coach, pulling the rod down further through the fitting will raise the coach when the fitting is retightened and the coach returns to ride height position.

Assuming you have access to a pit, the adjustments are easy to do. If not, I find it easier after determining how much adjustment each ride height valve needs to raise the coach with the air, or if you have them hydraulic, levelers. Then block up the coach so it can't fall on you, then you have more room to reach over and around the drive axle tires to get to the rear levelers and can crawl under the coach to get to the front leveler. After removing the blocks, you can start the engine, and return the leveling system to ride height. Drive a short distance to insure that the leveling system has fully returned to normal ride height, return to a level surface and remeasure.

Once the ride height is set, it should stay in place without further adjustment for an extended period. I check my ride height once a year but after the initial adjustment, I have not had it change. Newell did have to reset my ride height after they replaced a leaking rear ride height valve.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote