Hey - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
gstarkie@utah.gov

Default Hey

Hi to all, this week we just finished the deal, 1981 38' classic we're going to pick it up in Texas 11/13/08. always wanted a newell classic, anyway
after a 1500mile shakedown ride home(Salt Lake,City)hopefullyon good dry roads and no issues whatever its all good is'nt it? Hope to get an answer to one question---what RPM range does the 6V92T run at? and what kind of highway speed should I expect? I'm very comfortable with the size and mechanical issues I have restored several antique trucks either gas or diesel, but never had any dealings with a two cycle detroit. Thanks in advance Graham.

gstarkie@utah.gov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
fulltiming

Welcome Graham. The redline for the 6V92 and the 8V92 is 2100 rpm with a no load (downshift) max of 2300 rpm. You should not put the engine under full load at less than about 1900 rpm to avoid lugging the engine.

As far as highway speed, you can run the speed limit but be VERY careful of the condition (age, cracks, etc). Blowing out a tire on a motorhome is no fun at all. Most truck tires are rated at 65 mph or 75 mph although I have seen a few on motorhomes that were designed for urban use that had a 55 mph speed rating. I typically run about 68 or so, speed limit allowing. Since I am typically towing my car, I obey the truck speed limits rather than the car speed limits which are legal in some states if you are not towing. Just remember that you are up in the weight range of a truck.

Make sure you do not let the engine idle for long periods of time at low idle.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
gstarkie@utah.gov

Thanks alot Micheal thats about what I figured but not sure since I've never had a detroit before, Cummins and Caterpillar I was hoping to be able to run the posted limit minus 5 or 10 thanks again I'll hopfully make the trip with ease. Thanks again Graham
Old 11-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
fulltiming

My Newell's top speed is 84 mph at redline in 4th gear. (Don't ask how I know.) I don't think you will have a problem with driving at the post speed limit less 5-10 miles per hour, even in parts of Texas which have an auto speed limit of 80 mph. The newer heavier coaches really put a load on their front tires. That is why Newell recommends changing the front tires out every three years on their newer coaches and moving them to the tag.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 11-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
chockwald

Another big welcome, Graham! Glad to have another Classic owner on the site! How did you locate the 1981 Newell? Ebay, NewellClassic.com, or some other online source?

I cruise at around 60-63 mph....usually puts me at 1800-2000rpm in 5th gear....that's my comfort zone, and where I feel the most relaxed....after all, that's part of the experience, right....being relaxed???

Post some pictures of your aquisition when you have time!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
encantotom

Welcome Graham,

i like to cruise no faster than low 60's. i used to drive at 75, but have changed my tune. get alot better fuel economy and i feel much more relaxed driving slower.

i know clarke is excited to have another with his vintage and we are all glad you are here. you will find everyone here very helpful as i wouldnt have figured everything i have so far without them.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Richard and Rhonda

Hey Graham,

Welcome to the group.

I'm in Fort Worth, I don't know how you are going back, but IF you have issues and you are within striking distance, then call me, and I will bring tools.

I will PM with contact info.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:20 AM   #8
gstarkie@utah.gov

WOW, We just got in 1500m without a hitch well it does have a hitch but we did'nt have any trouble, were thrilled with the coach the ride is great and excellent power, cruised right along a real pleasure to drive all systems seem to work great. I've got a long list of questions but not enough time to get to them now. One thing my Tach quit or should I say does'nt work at all, I'm going to start with the sending unit unless any one has a better plan. Thanks Graham
Old 11-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
fulltiming

I would check the ground wire on the tach first. If you have a good ground, then the sender unit would be the second place to investigate.

Glad you had a great trip.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 11-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
encantotom

we are all ready and willing to help you with your list of questions. just start asking and the group will do their best to help. i had a ton of questions at first and still do from time to time.

later

tom

Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 AM   #11
gstarkie@utah.gov

Default Here comes the questions

1. Whats the deal on battery disconnects do the Newells generally have them or do I need to install some, gotta have Em for winter storage.
2. How do I determine the coach number? is it by VIN or what?
3. Headlights??? light up but they don't do the job, whats the fix?
4. Low air light went out but the buzzer stayed on its a dual air system, I think any help or ideas, I unhooked the wire from the buzzer. It was OK for two days then it acted up thats when I unhooked the wire.
5. No inverter xantrex w/pwr transfer sw. 2k is this the recommended
unit? any Ideas other than the battery compartment for install?
6. Clearance light lense front top of coach is it a standard lense or a Newell OEM part?
Thats enough for now Thanks Graham
Old 11-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
encantotom

clarke is gonna be the best help probably, but i will try a few answers.

my newell has battery disconnects for the coach and the engine battery banks. i would suspect you have them somewhere. clarke should know where.

the headlights on my 90 are terrible, in fact i just hung up the phone talking to michael about how he did his headlight upgrade. richard has done that as well and i plan to also. for night driving, it is scarey in mine. i would assume there is a similar upgrade avail for yours as well. it is around 700 bucks to do for my vintage and there is only one source for the parts.

michael is the coach number guru, so i am sure he has the knowledge to help you on that one.

the buzzer for the air system i know where it is on mine, but dont have any idea where it is triggered from.

as for inverters, it is not a one size fit all answer. many variables including what you want to run on it, for how long, how many and what size batteries you have etc. a number of us have them installed under the bed. i have a xantrex freedom 458 2kw modified sine wave. others have a pure sine wave inverter. i am thinking of uprading to the pure sine wave. some equipment doesnt like the modified sine wave, but a vast majority of the inverter chargers are that. there are a few manufacturers and there are posts on this site about them if you searce for inverter charger. most people think the bigger the inverter the better. that is not true as if you dont have enough battery power to run it, you could have alot of power for a very short period of time....

for the clearance lights someone with a coach of that vintage will have to answer. all of the lights on mine are standard ones that replacements are available. i actually changed 26 marker lights to LED ones and all my tail lights, stop and turn lights to LED as well. the marker lights i used were dialight series 50 and tail/stop/turn were dialight series 80.

i am sure others will pipe in too.

will byu beat utah this year in football?

later

tom

Old 11-17-2008, 04:25 AM   #13
chockwald

Hey Graham....I have an '82, and I have 4 different disconnect switches. The first two are in my right rear engine compartment...one on the forward wall, and the second on the rear wall. The third is in the driver side battery compartment on the forward wall. The last switch is located in the right front battery compartment where I have 2 8d batteries. In order to disable every system in the coach that draws any battery power all four must be turned to the off position. I don't know how your coach is set up, but chances are there are also 4 on yours.

On the inverter mine came with a separate Hart 2,000 watt inverter installed in a dedicated compartment on the driver's side just in front of the steerer tire.

The marker lights on my Newell are standard lights. I was missing a lense cover on the marker light on the upper right front of the coach and was able to find them on line. Send me a picture of what yours look like, and if they are the same I can send you the link where I ordered mine (chockwald@verizon.net).

On coach number, I have no idea how to determine that on the classics. Michael Day advised that Newell started their numbering system from scratch a few years ago, but ours are under the old system, whatever that was. I haven't really pursued that any further at this time.

I have never had a low air buzzer on mine, just a light on the dash that is hard to ignor when it's on. It may be that the prior owner disconnected the buzzer on mine.

Regarding the headlights, mine "suck" too, but I've only driven at night a couple of times so far. I will upgrade them sometime in the future.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #14
fulltiming

Graham, looks like Clarke and Tom have covered most of your questions. I will address a few of them however.

Coach Number: The VIN number contained the 'coach number' beginning with the 2000 series. Prior to that, it would be difficult to determine the coach number unless you have some documentation that came with the coach from Newell. 1983 is when the 'new' internal coach numbering system began. That system started with 001 and in essence skipped the first 384 Newells. To correct the numbers, Newell skipped from coach 816 directly to 1200 in the 2007 model year. If your coach had any old documentation from Newell, it is possible that you might find the number, 001 in 1983 through 214 starting with the Series 2000 in 1990, when they began making the coach number the last three digits of the VIN.

Headlights: A great deal of improvement can be made to the existing headlights by installing relays near the front fuse panel for the lights and running 10-12 gauge wire from the power to the relays and from the relays to the headlights. Newell ran the power through the headlight switch, then through the dimmer switch then to the headlights (after going through circuit breakers, at least on the 1990+ models). Using the wiring through the switch and dimmer as a trigger for the relays and installing larger gauge wiring to the headlights will make a VERY noticeably difference in your night time driving experience. Obviously further improvement can be made but the most bang for the buck comes from the rewiring and the relays.

Low Air Buzzer: Are you certain it is low air? The Newells I have seen had a Low Air Warning Light on the dash but no buzzer. There is a buzzer attached to the tag axle dump (where appropriate) and on the air leveling system to warn if you are not in travel mode. If the Low Air light is going out and the supply air and twin brake air gauges are staying above 100 or so while you are driving, it doesn't sound like an air problem unless the air leveling (if applicable) thinks the suspension is not in travel mode.

Let us know if we have confused you.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 11-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
chockwald

Graham......is photo album #3 in the Gallery your coach? If so, the marker lights are just like mine. Let me know...Clarke
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 11-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #16
gstarkie@utah.gov

Default Yep!!

My coach is deffinately #3in the gallery on this web site, And I'm very confused but I'm working on all the solutions that all you guys have mentioned. Please be patient with me I'm not computer literate at all but I'm working on that too. Thanks Graham
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #17
encantotom

hi graham,

i am going to private message you my phone number. so check for the message,

tom

Old 11-18-2008, 05:57 AM   #18
chockwald

Graham...here's a link to the place I bought my replacement marker lights:

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cg...uct_detail.jsp
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 11-19-2008, 12:54 AM   #19
gstarkie@utah.gov

Clarke,
Thanks for the clearance light info, I ordered them on line tonight I cant believe that I figured it out by myself; as my wife usually does the computer stuff for me she's out with her mother.
I haven't been able to locate any battery cut off switches anywhere, so I'm probably going to install some myself....During the search I did uncover some cooling system potetial leaks there are some big coolant lines (hoses) about 1 1/2" that run to the generator I'm sure these hoses are original to the coach as they are as hard as a rock. do the run the length
of the coach or are they hard piped at some point any clue as to the difficulty in changing these hoses. Also my coach dos'nt have a propane water heater it seems as though it probably did originally but that area was modified for a waser/dryer which no longer is there either the only water heater is under the bed,. its electric and probably heat exchanger through the cooling system did these coaches come with propane water heaters if not has any one put one in.
I told you guys that I would have alot of questions I'm amazed at the resource available here. Thanks Graham
Old 11-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #20
fulltiming

Graham,

I am surprised that the generator uses the same coolant system as the engine. In the Series 2000 Newells, the generator has its own radiator. There are some 1" lines running from the engine to the front but they are for the dash heat. If the hoses are accessible through the bays, changing them out may be somewhat of an effort but certainly doable.

We must be giving you bad locations for the battery cutoffs. I would have thought that they would be either near the batteries or near the engine. I don't know when Newell quit putting in propane water heaters but the late 80's on that I have seen have an electric water heater with the heat exchanger. Until about '94, some had only engine heat, others had Primus which was a propane fired equivalent of the diesel fired AquaHot. Then Newell switched to AquaHot for heating. The biggest problem with installing a propane water heater would be the necessary outside venting. This would most likely take up bay space and require a vent being cut in one of the bay doors or the unit installed in a cabinet inside with a large vent cut in the sidewall of the coach. I find the electric/heat exchanger unit works very well in my coach (20 gallon) but it would not be as good for dry camping since it would require the generator to be run for an hour or more prior to using hot water.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740