The Full Time Dream! - Page 13 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #241
rellick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockwald View Post
The last time I updated this thread was last July.....probably time to bring things more up to date. We spent the summer in the Pacific Northwest, then in early September we began our trek to Campbellsville, Ky to work 11 weeks at Amazon.com. On the way we spent a week at Flaming Gorge in Wyoming....part of that time Matt and Connie Russo (Express1) joined us in their coach.....what a cool place. We visited friends in Wyoming, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri before arriving in Campbellsville October 3rd. We had a great time at Amazon, and made many new friends.

After Amazon we headed south to Florida, stopping over for a couple of days in Rossville, GA to have our coach serviced at Choo Choo Express Garage. They are 2 stroke experts. From there we headed down to Cedar Key, FL where we spent 5 weeks right on the Gulf. Then on down the west coast of Florida to the Keys...we got all the way to Key West. Then up the east coast visiting friends. Spent 4 days at St. Augustine, then 2 weeks at Savannah, GA. We were in Savannah for the St. Patty's Day parade. We had planned to go as far north as Maine, but the weather just did not co-operate.....too cold. From Savannah we headed inland and eventually up to Ashville, NC, which is a way cool place. We spent 4, or 5 days there. Then up to Huntington, WV to visit the Entrikens (Newell owners, and good friends) for what we had planned to be a 5 day visit, but I got sick with the flu and was down for a week with that....after 12 days I felt good enough to head east to Washington D.C. We spent 5 days getting there, and then 2 weeks at Greenbelt Park just outside of D.C. ($8/day with Golden Age Passport). Washington D.C. is an amazing place to visit, and I am glad we had two weeks to see it all....we could have easily spent 2 more weeks there.....no kidding!

We left D.C. 6 days ago, and just arrived here in Indianapolis, IN at the Speedway where we will spend 2+ weeks working up to and including the INDY 500. We'll be here into early June, then head to Spearfish, SD to attend an informal rally with owners of previously owned Newells....Classics up to early 2000's.....for a week.....16-17 Newell coaches should be there, including John Clark from the Newell Factory. From there we will head into Alberta, Canada with 2 other Newell owners for a few weeks.

The Newell family is a wonderful thing, and through this forum we have met in person many other Newell owners, and become good friends. I think in the 15 months we have been on the road we have spent time with 7 Newell owners at their homes all over the country, and with Matt & Connie Russo ("express1") on the road in Wyoming's Flaming Gorge, and another couple, Forest and Cindy Olivier ("folivier") in Cedar Key for 5 days. We have had many other offers, but they just didn't work into our travel plans last year......in the next 12 months we will be meeting more Newell owners.

I would urge all of you to take time to get to know some of the Newell owners here, and meet up with them whenever you can. There is more to owning a Newell than the amazing machinery.......the friendships that came along with Newell ownership are amazing.
Let me know when you make it up to Alberta, perhaps we can meet !

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #242
chockwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellick View Post
Let me know when you make it up to Alberta, perhaps we can meet !
Would love to meet you....we will be in Cochrane at Bow Riversedge RV Park July 3rd for a week. We'll be with two other Newell owners....ecantotom (Tom McCloud) and folivier (Forest Olivier).

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:17 AM   #243
rellick

Quote:
Would love to meet you....we will be in Cochrane at Bow Riversedge RV Park July 3rd for a week. We'll be with two other Newell owners....ecantotom (Tom McCloud) and folivier (Forest Olivier).
We will have to try make that, I have a brother in Calgary also, we'll stay in touch.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 05-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #244
rellick

Quote:
Reminds me of a funny story, I was fishing with a buddy of mine at the bridge that crosses the Bow river, quite a few years ago. We were casting away under the bridge, after catching a couple of rainbow trout he let out a big cast throwing his line right up on the bridge just as a car was passing ( they do highway speed right there) he must have caught the bumper or something, that line tore off his reel in a puff of smoke in about a second then SNAP!! the car never did stop and the look on my buddys face was priceless. I couldnt stop laughing, it all happened so fast, it was amazing!! So if you plan on doing any fishing there keep this in mind!!lol
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 06-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #245
rellick

Quote:
Were booked in for the 3rd! See you guys there!!
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 06-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #246
folivier

Awesome Keith look forward to meeting you.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #247
chockwald

Great news Keith.....looking forward to meeting you!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #248
chockwald

Well, as you all know, the Newell mini rally in Spearfish was an unqualified success.....in all we had 32 coaches attend.....including 3 Foretravels, a Wanderlodge, 2 Prevosts, and a Class B, so 25 Newells, including the 2010 Newell show coach that was at the FMCA rally stopped by on the way back to Miami, OK for a day so we could all take a tour. Made many new friends, had 3 great potlucks, two nights of touring each other's coaches, and a lot of fixing stuff. One day Richard (Richard and Rhonda) came over to help me with my speedometer issue. He crawled under the coach (after it was properly blocked) to look at the speedo generator....I hear him exclaim...."Oh my, what do we have here?!"......I ask....."what's going on Richard?"....he replies...."come under here and see what I see"....I comply......as I crawl under I see him pointing at the point where the drive shaft conects to the transmission.......as I focus I hear him saying something about loose bolts.....as I focus on the bolts connecting the drive shaft I see that ALL 8 bolts are LOOSE.....ALL!!! Of course it was easy to replace them with eight new grade 8 bolts and top locking nuts purchased from the local Fastenal hardware store (cost $6.70), but to think I was just miles from a serious mechanical failure that could have cause serious damage left me shaken for about 24 hours. Thank goodness for friends, and a fresh set of eyes. I had begun to feel a vibration coming from the rear of the coach the last 50 miles into Spearfish, but couldn't decide if it was the road, which was in poor condition, and under construction. I don't know if we would have made it to the Montana border. A lot of coach owners received help with various issues, and a lot of new friendships developed.

From Spearfish we we formed a caravan with ecantotom (Tom McCloud), and folivier (Forest and Cindy Olivier) for 5 days up to Cochrane, AB, Canada.....we visited Devil's Tower, and Little Big Horn along the way, and visited with our friends in Billings, MT who have the '61 GM Bus conversion having the 8V71 rebuilt. We have now been in Cochrane since this past Wednesday. This coming Wednesday we will journey up to Banff, Lake Louise, Columbia Icefields and Jasper. Then we'll head back south on Canada 2 into Glacier National Park seeing it from both sides of the border. We met Jim and Gail Ellis who own a 1987 Newell, and have spent the last year here at Bow Rivers Edge RV Park here in Cochrane working for the park. They are great people, and why not.....they are Newell owners.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 10-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #249
rellick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
I'm sitting here pondering and dreaming of full timing in a Newell? Some have done it, some are doing it and others are dreamin' about it.

Either way, it's all good.........

Myself, I'm working on a happy medium. Hum..???

Now, to finish getting rid of a life accumulation of possessions (JUNK) for a simpler life of enjoying a condo on wheels...no more mowing the lawn (acreage) ugh! Actually really burned out on property ownership. I will miss the greenhouse, though. There has to be an alternative for that one?

What-cha thoughts....????

Ken W.
Ken, I didn't know you started this thread?! All this time I was thinking it was Clarkes thread I was sure he said he started it?
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 10-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #250
chockwald

It is Ken's thread.......I started writing about our travels under this thread a couple of years ago, and it kind of became "my" thread by default, but you are correct, it is, indeed Ken's thread. I don't believe I ever said I started it.....I have just continued it.

And, of course, this is the perfect time to play catch up....it's been almost 4 months since my last update so here goes:

We had a wonderful time visiting the Columbia Icefields, Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff. The scenery along PH3 from Jasper south to Lake Louise is just stunning. After a while you run out of adjectives to describe what you are seeing. We entered Alberta on July 2nd, and exited 3 weeks later on Jluly 23rd at the border crossing just south of Cardston, AB with the Oliviers (folivier).......Tom and Darlene McCloud headed over to Lethdridge, AB where they spent a number of weeks visiting family. Forrest and Cindy Olivier continued on south, and we spent several days on the east side of Glacier National Park at St. Mary, and then moved southwest to East Glacier for a week, then over to West Glacier, Kalispell and Columbia Falls continuing to drive into Glacier National Park almost every day. Again, adjectives begin to fail you.

We then moved south to Polson, MT on the shores of Flathead Lake for a week, then further south to Missoula where we parked the coach at the fairgounds for four days while we drove the car down to Salt Lake City for the wedding of my brother's daughter.

From there we headed west to Couer d'Alene, ID where we spent a month on the shores of the Spokane River, just a half mile from the lake. We really enjoyed Coeur d'Alene....what a beautiful town! While we were there we flew down to Dallas, TX for a school reunion, then drove over to Whidbey Island to visit friends for a few days.

Before we knew it a month had flown by and we were on our way eastward again to Sidney, MT where we took on a workamping gig working the sugar beet harvest for 3 weeks. We made some money, and enjoyed the experience lot. We leave here Sunday bound for Salt Lake City to visit my brother and his family, and then on southward to SoCal where we have lined up a camp host job at the same park we spent a year at before hitting the road (Rancho Jurupa Regional Park in Riverside, CA). We'll spend two months there visiting our kids, and grand kids before heading out again just after the first of the year.....to where we are not yet sure, but what we do know is that we will be going places we haven't gone before.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 10-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #251
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Clarke and Elaine, gosh you guys have had fun since leaving Spearfish. I'm envious.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #252
rellick

Here it is Clarke, it was on the other site where you moved it, I dont see anywhere it says Ken started it here??

I'll continue a thread that I started on the other site. We are now in Raymond, WA, 27 miles south of Aberdeen, at Raymond RV Park smack dab on the shores of the Willapa River for $20/night full hookups.....had to drop my trailer because site #1 was taken......we were here 2.5 years ago in that site, and that site is the longest. No problem, though...we will be here parts of 3 days, so a minor issue having to drop the trailer.

You are correct, it is beautifull through Jasper and the ice fields, we were there in august. Stayed right at the glacier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130901-00587.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	4561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130902-00589.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	4562  
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 10-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #253
chockwald

Keith love your pictures of the same places we have been.....loved the Columbia Icefields....stayed there two nights in the parking lot.....I recognize those water falls.....somewhere north of the Icefields, and south of Jasper I believe.

We are now in Ogden, UT....have been slowly working our way south since leaving Sidney, MT and the sugar beet harvest. Spent 2 days at Fairmont Hot Springs, MT soaking in the hot pool, and getting massages. Got down to 22 degrees both nights....glad we had 50 amp hookup and sewer....no water as it is turned off for the winter. From there we headed south to Idaho Falls, ID and overnighted in the Walmart parking lot......the forecast was for a low of 35, however it got down to 25 degrees overnight. Glad we have the Suburban gas furnace to keep the water bay above freezing.

We left Idaho Falls Saturday and drove 177 miles south to Ogden, UT where the overnight lows are in the 40's.....almost balmy compared to Montana and Idaho! We'll move south about 60 miles to my brother's home where we will be doing some interior remodeling for about a week to 10 days. Life is good!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #254
chockwald

The lights are on, but nobody seems to be home.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #255
express1

Don't be the last, you will have to turn the light switch OFF!
Quote:
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #256
MrE

Quote:
Probably my fault, made some posts that should have been PMs and based on misinformation, my apologies to all.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #257
chockwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
Probably my fault, made some posts that should have been PMs and based on misinformation, my apologies to all.
Jon that's quite an admission......anybody else think they made any posts based on misinformation?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #258
MrE

Quote:
Jon that's quite an admission......anybody else think they made any posts based on misinformation?
Nice to get this off of my chest, watching the posts decline to nothing and knowing that I was a major contributor in the decline has made me feel really bad. I do still search the site for information, great collection, just not getting bigger.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #259
khpaladin

Prescott Valley

Clarke

It was great to read about your baptism into fulltiming. Since we have recently, as of May 1st, finished various
commitments we were involved in over the last 3-5 years, we are just now getting our act together to start
touring again. I will try to bring you and the board up to speed with us, and I will do it in several installs instead of all at once.

As you know, Wyn and I got our '81 Newell at Phoenix in '97, do to our work schedules we stored the coach at
a friend's in Phoenix and traveled back home to Fremont, CA. In late '98 our friend advised us that they were
selling their home. We flew down and drove the coach back to Fremont.

Since we wanted to get the coach checked mechanically from front to rear, and get some upgrades done, we took the coach to the best ranked DD/Allison shop in northern California. We had an in-frame overhaul of the 6V92TA engine, an overhaul of the MT654CR 5-speed auto transmission and the turbo, and a drain, flush, and refill of the Rockwell 3.70:1 differential. We then had them do a 'mated' dyno. We became good friends with the shop owner and he let us store the coach at his 2-acre shop and plug into to keep the batteries charged.

For Wyn's feeling of safety and convenience we made quite a few upgrades and modifications to our coach.
We upgraded all the sinks and faucets, replaced all the AGC fuse panels w/ATO fuse panels. replaced all the
copper plumbing lines with PEX. Replaced the 1kW inverter with a ProSine 2500 inverter/charger. After 11
years of use the ProSine gave up the ghost and I recently replaced it with a 2800 Magnum inverter/charger.
Replaced the pneumatic wipers with electric, add a CHMSL and DLR modules, and added additional marker
and turn signal to the side of the coach.

Between '98 and '03, Wyn retired and completed transfering our paperwork to digital and setting our
communications to cell phone and online access. I was tied up with back to back projects until early '03. We
decided on what to keep in storage, put as much of the take along stuff into the coach, what we were not taking
went to salvation army (a large panel truck) or trash (serveral pickup loads to the dump). We sold the
townhouse and in August of '03, over 3 days we moved what was left into the coach and headed down the
road.

Wyn & Ki Punilei
"Have Newell Will Travel"
'81 40' Newell Coach
'86 Honda Accord
"Squeak" the Feline Princess
khpaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #260
khpaladin

Prescott Valley

Clarke, (Continued #2)

We initially travelled to Carson City, NV where we decided to keep the storage items, and continue
reorganizing. We decided to go to Rapid City, SD to get all of our domicile registration taken care of.
Unfortunatelly, 'Mother Nature' snowed us in for a week in Evenston, WY, after which we decided to head for
Denver, CO and see our daughter and grandson. Wyn has been to snow country but never where it came down
on her, so the winters of '03-'05 we spent Denver, and Colorado Springs, CO, sure glad we have the 'Winter
Demo Coach'.

In summer '04 we went to Rapid City, SD, did our registering, got some 'doctoring' done, and got DishNet
installed. In '05 & '06 we spent some time in Las Cruses and Demming, NM, and Benson, AZ areas. Since I
was still working projects, Wyn would pick a spot she wanted to stay at and we would setup the coach and I
would travel to where the project was and return, I completed my last project in late '06. We started touring for
about two years through TX, from Alpine to New Braunfels, and from Mission to Sherman.

We met a lot of great people along the way, have stayed in contact with most, and due to various problems we
stayed to help. We stayed in Sherman, TX to help a friend who had and died of cancer. At the park we stay at in
Denver, we helped the manager teaching people who were newbies, made electrical and plumbing repairs to
fixed income people rigs that could not afford the ecential repairs, and made repairs to park equipment.

When the manager/wife at the park in Cheyenne, WY had a stroke, Wyn and I went up there to help out and
ended up managing the park until she recovered, and it happened at 'Frontier Days', what a zoo. We have
never asked to host, but we have ended up being ask to do so for one reason or another.

At the park in Elephant Butte, NM, we were asked to replace a host couple that up and left, and we did. The
following winter we went there because of all the friends we had made, and were asked to host because the
park was short handed, and we did. The last 1.5 years we ended up staying there to host, train, and manage the
park, because they were short handed, all new hosts, and the manager/husband had kidney cancer and had to
have one removed.

We are now away from all that, stayed at Albuquerque, NM to have long overdue service on the coach, and
'doctoring' done. While here we replaced the dieing 11 gal Raritan water heater. We decided to go with a
Kenmore 10 gal residential, it was way cheaper, we rarely used the off-engine, and it works great. Moved to
Denver to see the daughter and (taller than grandma) grandson, get additional 'doctoring' done, have the
'towed' overdue service done, and start attacking the 'todo' list.

Wyn & Ki Punilei
"Have Newell Will Travel"
'81 40' Newell Coach
'86 Honda Accord
"Squeak" the Feline Princess

khpaladin is offline   Reply With Quote